Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-10-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
How/why does prop rotation effect the surf wake?

With a given prop rotation, which side of the boat has a better surf wake?
Old     (noel)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-10-2008, 6:58 PM Reply   
My '06 Wakesetter VLX is better on the starboard side. I always assumed it was because of the driver and never considered prop rotation.

Maybe it's partially affected by driver and partially by prop rotation? I guess on a left hand rotation prop, the friction of the prop spinning through the water would cause the boat to lean toward starboard, but is that enough to make a real difference? When accelerating to faster speeds, I don't notice the boat leaning to starboard, but maybe one or two degrees of list makes a difference at surf speed?

Now, I just add 5 Fat Sacs and the surf wake is wicked on both sides.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-10-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
Look up some of the posts by bigshow in the surfing topic.
Most boats have a better wake, in theory, on the port side. That has to do with prop rotation and boat slip. The nautiques, and Centurions with the Surf Right transmission, rotate the prop the other way and so their starboard wake is better.
All that said my starboard side wake is better than my port wake, like Noel's. I put it down to a fat driver to give better list.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-10-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
ditto for me on the Tomcat... starboard is better for sure.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-10-2008, 9:25 PM Reply   
I can get the same wake on either side, just takes a little more weight on the port.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-11-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
On my VTX it seems much easier to create a bigger, cleaner wave on the starboard side. Like Art said earlier, might be the fat driver.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-11-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
Starboard is WAY better on my boat....

22 SSV
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-11-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
Pretty equal on both sides for me (Sanger V215)but my buddys Tige is better IMO on the starboard.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-11-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
I used to have an 05 Super Air Nautique, and I always got a better starboard/goofy wake which I thought was the result of prop rotation....in fact...it seemed nearly impossible to get a decent port side surf wake. Well now I have an 08 Malibu 23LSV, and I still get a better starboard/goofy wake. I can definitely get nearly the same size wake on the port side, but it takes a bit more weight and/or different placement of that weight.

That's all good for me though because I'm a goofy footer...I was a bit worried about it when I ordered the boat.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-12-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
I have rode behind pretty much every boat out there, with chevy powerplants that is, and the port side always seems way better than starboard. Everything from my Supreme to my buddies XSTAR the port side is always better (due to prop rotation). With that being said I have never surfed a SAN (Ford PCM engine) that has a left hand prop rotation - probably would make a better surf on the starboard side~
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-12-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
Prop rotation makes your boat dog track to one side or the other, depending on LH or RH rotation. You don't notice this effect at higher wakeboarding speeds.

The dog-tracking plays a part in making one wake good and surfable and the other wake foamy.

Listing the boat over with ballast on one side also makes the boat dog-track. The bow hits the water and an angle, kind of acts like a rudder.

When the dog-tracking from the prop and bow work together wakes tend to look and work better. When they don't work together then the surf wake surfers.

Listing the boat over harder, adding more weight can counter prop rotation. I took that to an extreme with my old boat.

Be careful with your ballast. The right boat can make a killer wake without that much ballast.