Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old    cwbboarder            10-04-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
hey has anyone attempted to ride completely around your boat, me and my crew recently tried it and almost succeeded. But we forgot to get it on tape. And the hard part about it is that when you come around to the back of the boat after you go around ,is that your going like 150 km/h and hit the wake and crash, so if anyone can do, could you send the video to me or just put it on wake world..
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-04-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
Is the boat powerturning hard toward the rider 180 degrees? I have seen people do it on waterskis but never on a board.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-04-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
i've seen around the world completed successfully.
Old    cwbboarder            10-04-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
yes the boat is power turning but i don't think full blast thought.
Old    cwbboarder            10-04-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
did you see it done on a real wakeboard boat. because when we did it , it was with a crestliner including fast sacks and are home made tower.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-04-2006, 6:21 PM Reply   
ive been whipped aronud the boat before with my crue... the boat would start taking a moderatly hard right turn and I would cut out on my heels to the outside of the run.. edge reailly hard and the boat would cut back the left very quickly and go under the rope... then jsut start gonig again... ill find some video later
Old    cwbboarder            10-04-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
yeah we could do it but when we can back around and when over the wake you go so fast that you cant hold on, do you have any suggestions so that we can actually do it ?
Old    walt            10-04-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
I've seen it done but it didn't look like the safest thing to do.
Old     (delta_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-04-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
i do not know what u r talking about try to post video!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-04-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
I've seen my friends do it and Watson do it while Murray was driving... Both in a Super Air.
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-04-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
How does it work if you have a tower?
Old    cwbboarder            10-04-2006, 7:01 PM Reply   
yeah its something new to try but not safe at all. you should really trust the driver alot .umm it works the same way that it was explain earlier in the thread.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-04-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
I've seen a crushed jaw bone and ten missing teeth from this trick. The guy slammed into the side of the boat.

He did get the morphine drip though. That'd be cool.

Be careful!
Old    cwbboarder            10-04-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
ouch that must have sucked alot.
Old     (delta_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-04-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
sounds cool i want to see a vid of it!
Old     (skeetersky13)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-04-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
haha. my family actually tried this earlier this summer...we didnt make it. we couldnt even get around the front of the boat. our plan was just to speed up, then stop..and hit it once the rider was around the front. too bad it didnt work.
good to know we're not the only ones thinking like that...
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-04-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
I have passed the boat on many occasions just during our turn-around. Doug one of our regular crew normally attempts to try and pass the boat, been successful on it too! Vantage point from the rider is really cool, all I would need to do is powerturn into him hard and were all the way around!

While there is a danger factor, (no more than wakeboarding itself IMO) it's easily done with a solid rider and a driver that knows how to "properly" power thru a very tight turn!
Old     (shocker)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-04-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=55502 0619&n=2
its a jet boat so i dn if it counts cause we ride in saltwater
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-04-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
i actually did it on a wake skate! dont know that ill ever do it again, it was quite insane! i have an older ski nautique that handles amazing, and ive found it much faster if you weight your front foot to reduce drag
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-04-2006, 7:31 PM Reply   
Its pretty hard to hit the boarder if you know what your doing......the key is to turn to the right to get the borders speed up then when you the driver see the border whipping around in your peripheral vision (as your watching where your going)...you turn hard left and let off some gas.....once you have turned left he is already past the bow.....but chris you do need a great driver!!

I would hate to see a wipe out at that speed though......we made sure the spot we were in was pretty much glass....you don't want to try it in chop if you want to keep the risk low.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-04-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
yep, thats it. nice video. sketchy trick, don't try this unless you know what you are doing. It would be very easy to run over the rider if the boat didn't respond right. Remember you are talking about turning the boat 180 degrees in 75 ft (the length of the rope).
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-04-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
We used to do this all the time with direct drive tow boats, back when we were young and stupid. The driver better know what they're doing, as Mike Z noted. He has it right, except after the long whip turning toward the left, we would just crank the wheel all the way right and kill the throttle, so the boat just bogs down while spinning back clockwise, then once the rider passes around the bow, you just pick the throttle back up and drive away slowly. If you do it this way, the boat will bog down and give the rider time to get around, so you're less likely to collide. Also, if you do it this direction, the rider is on the driver's side during the most dangerous first segment, so it's easier for the driver to see the rider. I would not try this with any weight in the boat. Mike H is right, it's sketchy as hell.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-04-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
"I would not try this with any weight in the boat. "

That's what I was thinking. Our boats don't whip turns like light weight skiboats.
Old     (noboat)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-04-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
Here is a clean vid. Not too sure what boat.

http://view.break.com/155223
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-04-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
Couple of Canyon Lake guys used to do double ATB's - one riding 10' shorter than the other, driver does a "Z" when he hits the brakes, riders go around the boat, 1 in each direction, cross paths directly in front of the boat. Driver hits it just after that. Pretty crazy.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-05-2006, 12:23 AM Reply   
I did it on a water ski way before wakeboarding even existed. It is kind of dangerous if your driver doesn't know what he's doing. Since we used a ski pylon, someone in the boat had to make sure the rope went up and over the windshield without catching on anything. I would think it would be the same case with board racks and speakers possibly hanging up the rope.

The rider pretty much just cuts away from the boat as hard as they can and the driver does the rest. Once you see the boat going the other direction you turn your board around and follow it.
Old     (borka)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-05-2006, 12:47 AM Reply   
Holy crap! - Suicide trick!!! Need full trust for the driver!
Old     (fredrik_of_sweden)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-05-2006, 5:04 AM Reply   
Now, i'd like to try.
It seems cool.....
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-05-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
we tried it alode of itmes on board, never seemed to be able to get enough speed up on the board, do it on skis eay though
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-05-2006, 9:22 AM Reply   
Used to do that on a trick ski back in the 70's. The skier whips around and the boat does a 180. So you are reversing your direction at the end. I'm not so trusting anymore.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-05-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
A friend of mine and I used to whip out behind the waverunner, let go of the handle and try speed back in front of the rider before he lost momentum and grab back on the handle...
Old     (cjromero77)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-05-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
I've done this trick a couple of times on a board with full ballast and TAPS set to wakeboard position.

This takes incredible concentration. The trick is getting HUGE POP of the wake. When I'm at the peak of my jump, I remove from my feet with a stalefish grab. Then and start cranking my feet at an incredible rate. So fast that all you see is a blur (like Fred Flinstone). This generates enough speed that when I land I can actually skim the surface or walk on water if you will.

At this point the boat has turned and is passing me in the other direction. Then I just simply throw the board down, ollie of my right toe, lift my knees, point the toes downward, slip back into my boots and let the board do the rest.

It's a tough trick, but pretty standard once you get it down.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-05-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
I could definitely see Fred doing that. Good description.
Old     (cjromero77)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-05-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
I forgot to mention the ricochet sounds that I hear when my feet start spinning
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-05-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
Not that difficult to do or drive. Pulled Mike Murphy(SkySki) several times in a fully weighted Calabria Pro V with 5 in the boat. Driver makes a pre-turn to the right, then turns hard left, back off the throttle to make a sharper turn then gas it out of the hole. Rider is all the way out to the left, starts edge right in the pre-turn. Speed carries the rider around.

Chine-lock is the only killer. So get off the throttle to make the turn.
Old     (brian_l)      Join Date: May 2006       10-05-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
they do it at sea world with 2 people. i saw it, and it was amazing.
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-05-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
Last season on Pull Lyman was riding on a river and he didnt want to fall into the water because he was scared of the gators so they power turned and he let go and jumped on the swim platform. It was a pretty cool episode. I dont know if anybody else knows what I'm talking about. There was a section of like a really clear spot where they swam and you could see like 25 feet down to the bottom. it was cool. and lyman slid down a ramp on his feet cuz it was super slippery.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-05-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
We do this all of the time with Skyski's. Even do it with double riders, one going each way.

I've done this a few times on a wakeskate too, the crashes hurt, a lot.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-06-2006, 1:18 PM Reply   
This got me thinking, how many of you have drivin your boat in tight areas on a regular basis. Why I ask is that my regular riding area is only about 120-150yards wide. Pulling a rider at 23mph and having to turn around in that area generally produces a REALLY good whip for the rider.

In reading thru the thread though, I am guessing that not a lot of ppl have drivin really tight turns like this under speed. I'm not talking about a power turn, though I digress that is what this is, but its a power turn for a purpose.

(Delta riders/drivers, your safe I have seen some of those passages and yes, they are very narrow!, very similar to the area I ride in).

Just my $.02