Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-03-2005, 3:58 PM Reply   
Well after much speculation of where the event would land, it has been confirmed by the local paper and news. Wasaga Beach voted against it for this year and Toronto has welcomed it with open arms. I would have liked it to return to Wasaga Beach this year, because I have a place to stay, my brothers place. Although it will be coming to Toronto, where I live....so I am pretty stoked. The venue itself will be Toronto Island during the day, and of course the party at night will be hosted by all the bars and clubs in downtown Toronto.

For those of you who had the pleasure to see Wakestock in a much smaller and more laid back atmosphere, you were lucky....it looks like the City of Toronto is looking forward to it for a long time to come.
Old     (maestro)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-03-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
Not necessarily. The residents of T.O Island didn't have a say, and apparently they're not too thrilled. So if it gets out of control during the day (which it shouldn't - but who knows) it could very well be moving to another location.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-03-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
Well with that said, that is why it has come to Toronto. First of all, I think this year they will get it right with the correct amount of security/police presence, and secondly.....the majority of intoxicated people will not be on the island during the day, they will be downtown at night. I actually think that this may work.
Old    byerly137pro            05-03-2005, 6:47 PM Reply   
Too bad I'll be up north when its on...damnit!
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-04-2005, 6:57 AM Reply   
this years is going to be amazing the best yet and im right here in T.O.! and i'm looking forward to a great year!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-04-2005, 7:18 AM Reply   
When is it? Maybe I'll make the trip.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-04-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
J-Rod, I will keep you updated with the date when it is released. If you are serious about coming up, let me know....I may be able to help out.
Old     (maestro)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-04-2005, 8:34 AM Reply   
It's going on August 11-14.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-04-2005, 8:34 AM Reply   
August 11-14. http://wakestock.com/index.html
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-04-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
Hmm...boardstock is the weekend after, but I would much rather go to Wakestock. Anyone have floor space? I'll seriously look into this.
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-04-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
I am dissappointed that wakestock is in Toronto. Thought it was going to be more north like rice lake. I think that they could have found a much better place then they did. Toronto come on!!!What has Toronto ever done for wakeboarding.I will still be there and it should be good but I do not think it will even come close to being like Wasaga Beach. Muskoka would be prime. Just my thoughts. I have been pumped for months about wakestock and hearing this news kind of upset me.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-04-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
Derik. At least you still have a kickass event. I've seen the pictures and heard the stories. Wakestock rocks! Californians are stuck with Boardstock which is more about wakesurfing now.
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-04-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
J-Rod I agree wakestock is the best wakeboard event out there. Its just I am a little dissappointed on the location they picked. If you have been to last years wakestock at wasaga beach you would know what i mean. wasaga beach was so perfect that its going to be so hard to match. Just think they could of picked a better location because we have so many lakes (only something like 10 000 lakes to choose from) and areas where it could be held and they but it right in the big city. Anyone with a little smarts would know that Muskoka is a way better location and they deserve it over Toronto. Muskoka is the wakeboarding capital of canada and it is so nice up there (very ritsy for those who do not know)and it would be a good location to have tons of bush parties.
Old    forum25            05-04-2005, 12:24 PM Reply   
yes it would be nice to hold the event in muskoka but i dont there is an area big enough to hold the event anymore...wakestock has just grown way too big!
Old     (petertjr)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-05-2005, 8:20 AM Reply   
Hey derik, did you read the site, its supposed to have the perfect course. Perfect width, length, and the banks prevent the wake from rolling back. But the water is going to cold as !@(&

i'm getting used to the idea of a toronto wakestock i guess
Old    aceofdimondz            05-16-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
yeah i would rather go to wasaga beach i live just like 30min out of toronto... water will be kinda cold n probably a lil dirty but i dunno i've never boarded there!
Old    byerly137pro            05-17-2005, 4:13 PM Reply   
Normaally boats aren't allowed in there I think, so this will be a one time thing. The centre islanders are already complaining so I don't think this will be there permanent home.