Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (colby2ya)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-24-2012, 11:51 AM Reply   
Boat: 2007 Malibu Wakesetter VLX, Monsoon Engine 150hrs

Took the boat out sunday, and after 40 mi. of riding, got an alarm code. Come to find out if was the trans temp alarm. Check the fluid, was a little low, so headed back to the dock. Had to limp it back bc it started slipping a bit when try to run 20+ mph. Next day when back out to investigate problem, added some fluid to the correct level, after 40 min. of riding alarm came back out, fluid level was good. But no slippage this time. So i troubleshooted some issues, i ordered another impeller, although this one was changed last season, i took the heat exchanger off but it's all free and clear of debris. Could the internal pump on the transmission be out or plugged? Trying to troubleshoot all the little things before i move into something bigger like pull the tranny. Also the next day when we took it out, after the alarm came on, some of the fluid was spewing out of the bleed. I'm assuming that's just b/c of the temp. getting hot, it's causing pressure to build up and relieve out the bleed.
Old    9Drozd            02-24-2012, 2:44 PM Reply   
Does your dash have a red light for your v-drive pressure, It goes off when in gear. Also, is your v-drive built into your tranny or are they separate. If they are separate, check the v-drives fluid level. It takes regular 30w oil if its not built into the transmission.
Old    9Drozd            02-24-2012, 2:48 PM Reply   
Also, It will have its own dipstick to check.
Old     (colby2ya)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-24-2012, 2:54 PM Reply   
No don't have a red light for v-drive pressure, vdrive is built on tranny, and it has good fluid level.
Old    9Drozd            02-24-2012, 3:43 PM Reply   
Ok, Did the fluid smell burnt when you first checked it.
Old     (colby2ya)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-24-2012, 6:15 PM Reply   
nah it didn't
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       02-24-2012, 6:23 PM Reply   
The fluid level should not be low unless there's a leak. It can't burn off oil like a worn out of spec engine.
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-24-2012, 6:31 PM Reply   
ive never tore into one of them but i bet there set up alot like a transfercase. theres probably a pump that splines into that imput or output shaft. so when its turning its circulating the fluid internally. i deff. wouldnt drive it until you get it fixed, with it blowing out fluid its deff. getting hot. and your likely to do alot more damage
Old    9Drozd            02-24-2012, 6:34 PM Reply   
Ok, its either 1 of 2 things. 1.) Bands are gone, but it doesn't sound like that's the issue unless it was slipping alot while you were running it the first time. 2.) The pump when out and therefore if you were to continue to use the boat you bands would go as well. My bets on the pump. We had a customer who had the pump go out and he ended up frying the bands. Depending on the transmission you have, if its the pump, you might not have to pull the transmission. If its the bands, it'll have to be pulled.
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-24-2012, 6:35 PM Reply   
but your def. on the right track. either the pump is toast or its pluged up. but with your boat only having a 150 hours i bet its a freak mechanical issue
Old     (colby2ya)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-24-2012, 9:40 PM Reply   
aw man, that doesn't sound like good news. i was hoping it would just be the impeller lol. ok so if the bands are fried, wouldn't it have trouble getting in and out of gear; which i'm having no trouble at all with that. and also with the pump going out, it seems it would have trouble engaging in gear. i think i read somewhere on the manual online, they have a filter on it that might be easily accessible and that might be plugged. I think it was just 2 bolts on the btm and it should slide out, idk maybe i'm completely wrong. ima try a few more things that i can, then ima just have to bite the bullet and take it to a "pro".

p.s.= like i said this is my first inboard, does the tranny suppose to have a whining noise, kinda like a supercharger sound?
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-25-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
^^ AAAHH!!! No There should not be a whining noise- YOu have something serous going on here. Sounds like is't not drawing the oil into the gears- I would get it in now before you're buying a new v-drive box.
Old     (colby2ya)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-25-2012, 4:12 PM Reply   
damn really? But the boat drives so smooth and shifts in and out of gears easy. It's just till it heats up i get the alarm.
Old    9Drozd            02-25-2012, 8:18 PM Reply   
The whinning should only be in reverse. Your bands dont sound like they are gone, it just sounds like your pump went. Does it have an external cooler. Like with lines running from the tranny to a cylinder on the raw water pump hose. You might try taking both lines off and blowing compressed air through, just to double check that none of the lines or cooler are stopped up. Ive never heard of transmissions having a filter, but im not 100% up on all the new stuff. It might well have a tranny filter.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-25-2012, 10:25 PM Reply   
Not mine but could be a solution for you...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/2860338319.html

New never installed transmission and v-drive for ski or pleasure boat,chevrolet bellhousing.model zf 45 IV
1.46 ratio $1,500.00 spec. sheet available via email. Please email or call 925-382-1925 and leave message
Old     (colby2ya)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-26-2012, 4:18 AM Reply   
Ok thx thomasyea it's only in reverse and yes the trans has to lines going to the heat exchanger to cool off the fluid. That's actually what I was going to do is hook up something and blow through it to see If Im having any restrictions.

Mike ha thanks but I'm hoping I dont have to result to that
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-26-2012, 6:30 AM Reply   
Colby, I wonder if your cables are adjusted correctly. If its not full engaging fwd gear, the spool valve will rob pressure off the clutch pack causing a slight slip and overheating. I want you to take the cable off the gear end and then put the handle in fwd and with for fingers, engage the gear to full fwd. See if the cable is extending far enough to engage the valve to full throw.
5 minute check. Let me know what you find.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-26-2012, 9:33 AM Reply   
This thread is why i love wakeworld.
Old     (docdrs)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-26-2012, 4:42 PM Reply   
Yes the zf hurth trannys have a metal mesh filter located in the bottom of the transmission. As mentioned just 2 bolts and the cover will come off and the filter can be cleaned and inspected. It doesn't take long but remove the fluid before you do it or you will have a bilge full of it. I doubt that is your cause but why not clean it as it probably has not been cleaned before.
http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showt...Vdrive-Service
Old     (colby2ya)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-26-2012, 4:49 PM Reply   
baitkiller, my boat has the drive-by-wire, so i'm not sure if i could adjust any cables that easy?
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-27-2012, 3:54 AM Reply   
Whoops, never mind, just a common fault. Good luck.

You might want to call Transmission marine in Fort Lauderdale. All they do is marine gears. They have been a huge help over the last 20 years or so.

http://www.marinegears.com/
Old     (colby2ya)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-28-2012, 1:52 PM Reply   
well i don't think it was the impeller. looks fine to me?

Old    9Drozd            02-28-2012, 3:05 PM Reply   
In regards to the fly by wire. It will still have a shift cable, and usually a throttle cable that goes into a TPS/Control Servo on the throttle body.

With regards to your impeller, was your motor getting hot as well. Because if just your tranny was getting hot and your motor wasnt it wouldnt be a raw water pump problem. Its in your transmission, whether it be a bad pump or your bands are slipping enough to get it hot.
Old     (colby2ya)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-28-2012, 3:33 PM Reply   
motor wasn't getting hot. and if it was a bad pump wouldn't the tranmission have trouble engaging in and out of gear? Can't say nothing about the bands, don't know enough about them..or anyhting really..
Old    9Drozd            02-28-2012, 4:00 PM Reply   
DUH moment here on me. Yes your right, it does need pressure. So it would not be the pump. You said yours has a filter. Id check it for any kind of metal shavings. Also id completely change your fluid and while you do that check for any shavings in the fluid as well. Sounds like the bands are slipping or might of had a bearing go bad.
Old     (colby2ya)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-28-2012, 4:06 PM Reply   
Yea i got a feeling it's the bands as well, wish i knew more about them or could do it myself. Looks like i'll be taking it to the shop. Anybody know what that will prolly run me? Anyway, thanks for all the help everybody, i really appreciate it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-29-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
Is it me or does it look like that impeller was not installed correctly? It looks like one or more of those fins were pointed in the opposite direction. (go against the grain if you will).
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-29-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Is it me or does it look like that impeller was not installed correctly? It looks like one or more of those fins were pointed in the opposite direction. (go against the grain if you will).
Its you.
That is where the engine sat not running for a while and the blades took a set against the pump cam. Normal.
You can shove an impeller in anyway you want (use soap) and the second you bump the key it will rotate into whatever direction the pump turns.