Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-19-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
Well, I just got my order in. I got the 2007 Recoil 134 with 2007 Driver Bindings. After assembling the setup, I was VERY impressed with the quality of the product.

THE BOARD:
The board is really nice. The pictures don't do it justice. It isn't as flexible as I thought it would be, which is good. I was afraid I was buying into a wet noodle. Of course there is no way to tell how it rides as I just got it this morning. Even though I am coming from a 134, it just seems smaller. Maybe it is the width that makes it seem that way. Not sure.

THE BINDINGS:
The bindings are super nice! Yes it seems like a lot of strapping to get set but i personally like the ankle support from the extra inner lace system. The on-the-fly stance angle adjustment is super nice. I was really worried about how comfortable they would be without a footbed. No longer am I worried. The bindings are soooooooo comfy!

WEIGHT:
I have to say that this setup feels slightly heavier than my 2006 Watson 134 with 2006 Shane Bindings. It's not the board. I think the board is lighter than the Watson. The bindings seem to be a little heavier, HOWEVER, I think once they are wet they will be lighter than the Shanes when they are wet. The Shanes sucked up water into the soft materials used causing them to become rather heavy. Everything seems to be more waterproof/resistant type material on the Driver bindings. The amount of vents for Drainage is way more than the Shanes. The removable liner is very key....The Shane Bindings got to be pretty foul smelling at times.

OVERALL:
Killer Product! I am SUPER STOKED!

-Nate
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-19-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
Here are some quick pics taken with a really crappy camera.

Upload
Upload
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-19-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
Congrats man, you are going to love it.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-19-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
what up Hudson, I havent seen you on hear in forever.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-19-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
Yo andy, what up? Yeah, I had a lot going on with life the last couple years. I had to disappear for a while. Actually, it all started around the time I was supposed to do those sequence pics for ya. Sorry about that, I didn't mean to leave ya hanging. I read your interview. Very nice. Anyways, I'm back, my life couldn't be going any better, and I am definitely ready to ride.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-19-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
Great to hear man! No worries about the Sequence shots, I got hooked up with a sick photographer who handles everything now. Really getting some good Press. I gotta get you a Local to try, they are great!
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-19-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
Stoked for you man. Have you had the chance to ride the product before you bought it. You won't ever want to ride a traditional style board again once your on the slingshot stuff!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-19-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
Awsome

Consider shortening the laces on those '07 bindings.
some peeps have cut and relaced the bottom lace to lace all the way up to the top. When i demoed i noticed the lace clips have a screw and it looks like you could take the lace-pull-hook apart and re adjust the lace length.

'course, if your happy with the lace length than leave 'em put.

No worries about not having foot beds, the flex of the board will more than compensate.
ohh and remember to pull the lace from the teeth on the last lace loop when you loosen the laces (when tightening and loosening pull the laces more vertically in the direction of your leg and less horizontally to avoid laces getting locked in when you don't want them too yet.)... just some random tips, Enjoy!
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-19-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeremy. I think I am going to leave the laces the same because i just wrap them around the back and clip them on the opposite side. That way there is no lace dangle. The inner lace i just tuck in between the inner boot and the outer tongue before tightening my outer laces. I am used to the Teeth on the top because I used to own the Liquid Force Team bindings that had the same sort of thing.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-19-2008, 12:48 PM Reply   
The lace clips do come apart with a screwdriver and it's pretty easy to shorten the laces. I did mine and they are alot easier to deal with. I'm undecided about losing the inner harness. I know that some people just cut the inner lace out. That would make for super easy entry/exit but I'm afraid that I would miss the extra support that it provides.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-19-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
ya, don't cut it out.
i kinda thought that the people who cut the harness out went a little above and beyond. if they only cut the laces (which i guess is what you are saying), than that is no big deal to re-lace for others to use (especially if sold at a later date).

vlxray,
are you one who puts the liner on first and then puts your foot and the liner into the boot? this seems to be the only way i can imagine the interior laces making entry difficult. getting the boots on and off without the liner coming out is easy as long as the laces are all loosened, because the tongue is allowed to open like a trap door.

OR are you just talking about the extra time for a 3rd set of laces in general?

I think the only thing i personally would be tempted to "cut" (if i had the '07 boots) would be the little velcro strap on the liner that goes over the tongue

SS did a real great thing with the removable ankle support for '08
Upload
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-19-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
Hey Jeremy. I put my foot in the liner and boot the normal way. Getting in is a breeze but undoing all of the laces is a bit much sometimes. It's no huge deal and the extra effort is worth it because the bindings feel so good once I'm in the water.

What about usinfg something like a Superfoot insole with the 2007 boots? I'm thinking of trying that the next time out. I have some insoles that I've tested in my basement with the bindings. It feels pretty good doing the dry land test. They are definitely moe snug with the insoles but I think that the intuition liners might pack out a bt more to compensate for the insoles. I also wonder if the new Poron footbeds or new liners would work in the '07 boots.

Does anybody have any input on this?
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-19-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
I'm looking at getting a Slingshot setup and don't feel like driving a hour and a half to try on the bindings. I where a size 9.5-10 shoe, so I guess a size 10 binding would do?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-19-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
i wear a size 10.5 and found the 11s to be perfect, so i would say 10 would be great for you IMO. unless you are someone who likes to be REAL snug, which some people do.

keep in mind that you can heat the liners to expand/contract as needed. I noticed about 3-5mm MAX of change in my liner (in the toes, medial maleolus, and other prominent foot featured areas) when i heat molded it in my oven. my oven is gas and is old and doesn't seem to heat as good as other ovens so maybe it will mold even more...

I was a little worried about packing out of the liners, but i suppose i could reheat them or even add something to the interior of the boot in the toe box or something if i really had to.
Old     (brutto_76)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-19-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
That's a tricky question. I usually ride bindings a size bigger than my foot size (10.5-11) but in Slingshot I'm very comfy in a 10. Especially after doing the oven bake thing. It might be worth making that drive to be sure.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-19-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
I usually use a size 10 shoe but in some cases a 9.5 will do. I got the size 10 D2 bindings and they fit really well. I liked the way that they fit out of the box. They were really snug. I heat molded them with an intuition liner heater at my shop and now they seem a little looser, which I don't like so much, but I can re mold them I guess. I think that I may have just wiggled my toes too much while molding. They fit a little tighter with the ankle harness in then they do with it out so that could also be a factor. I like the feel better with the harness in, but at the cable park and when we go winching I will leave the harness out for quickness.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-19-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, sounds like I should make the drive.
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-19-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
When I winch with my Slingshot boots I just leave the harness and the liners on my feet. It's pretty stylish, and protects your feet from who knows what's under the water.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-19-2008, 3:22 PM Reply   
Not a bad idea, something tells me though that you could get yourself another pair no problem if something were to happen to them, and the rest of us not so much. I probably wouldn't recommend that at TSR cause I have known people to loose wakeskate shoes in the mud unless they take them off before crawlin out of the water. But depending on the lake that could be very helpful for the feet.

I must say that I have had to deal with slingshots warranty department already twice and they have always answered the phones and called back, responded to emails and sent pics with in the day that I made contact with them so I am impressed with them and their service. Good Job guys.
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-19-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
Thanks Bro!

Slingshot
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-19-2008, 6:02 PM Reply   
I did not cut my laces, but I did remove the inner lace all together. It is perfect now, no more hassle than any other bindings and with both outer bindings I am still locked in.
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-20-2008, 5:47 AM Reply   
Congrats man. You will love the setup I am sure. I was also a little skeptical at first, but after riding it for a weekend, I loved it.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-20-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
I put gel insole inserts in my 07 Slingshot boots. Worked great......
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-20-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
good for you

im not but i am stoked on CWB,LF,Helium,and bulletlines :-)
oh and wakeboarding!

should i make a seperate post for each product im stoked on

oh im stoked on Supra as well..
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-20-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
bill....you funny guy!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-20-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
i have stayed at a holiday inn express as well...
Old    alanp            03-20-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
nate did you used to ride with travis p. when he lived in va? your name sounds familiar? anyway ill be moving back to virginia soon. once i get my boat there i'll look you up. my parents have a place on the chickahominy and my brother has a place on the private side of lake anna. i'll be headed back to va for 6 weeks of training the weekend of strawberry hill. im gonna try to hook up some riding when im home then. congrats on the new set up
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-21-2008, 7:00 AM Reply   
Alan, I didn't ride with Travis, but I have hung out with him a bunch. I was living in NC when he was here in VA. We hung out at events at Hyco Lake. Maybe once or twice did I hang out with Travis when he was actually riding and that was because he was on Adam Fields boat. I consider him a good friend, it just seems that whenever I am hanging out with him its when we are partying and not riding.

DEFINITELY, let me know when you get back in town. I am always down for riding.

Since your from this area, maybe you know my good friends Alan Slabaugh and Matt Mallory.

-Nate

P.S. - A really easy to get in touch with me is on www.endofropegang.com My screen name is Nate-O over there.
Old    alanp            03-21-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
ok maybe i recognize the name from the eotrg website. i dont post there but i check it every now and then. if my memory serves me correctly did matt used to work for glass and powder. i built a slider on the chick in late march many years ago and we all went out there to session it and his boy drove his boat right into the mud. it was freakin freezing and we were trying to pull his boat out in that nasty mud.