Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2011, 12:08 PM Reply   
Often on this forum, we talk about Hyperlite System bindings, Unit quarter pipes, Tindy grabs, etc, and then some one will end up saying wakeboarding is not snowboarding, or wakeboarding should stop trying to be snowboarding.

BUT wakeboarding and snowboarding has the SAME:

1) Boot technology

Hyperlite Marek wakeboard boot

DC Judge snowboard boot

2) Binding design

Hyperlite System

Flow snowboard bindings

3) Board Shape

Roam wakeboard

Rome snowboard

4) Athletes

Katie Tsuyuki (Top 10 finish on Dew Tour 2011)

Mark McMorris Nose grap double cork 12

5) Use for System 2.0

6) Creation of stair sets just for rails

7) Names for some tricks

ex: Indy, Mute, 50-50, bs 180, Bluntslide, slaysh, Chicken Salad

8) Clothing style brands

ex: Billabong, Vans, Oakley

9) Stance

Riding sideways with a wide gangsta stance and a lil' duck

10) Mentality

ex: Take it big, grab it long, stomp it clean

Overall, its basically the same sport, just one is for water above freezing and the other is for water below freezing. Last winter I built a jump out of snow and hit it with my wakeboard cuz I didn't have my snowboard with me. It worked fine as long as I went straight. I'm sure a snowboard (with filed edges) would work fine at a wakeboard cable park.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-05-2011, 1:00 PM Reply   
um, okay...
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-05-2011, 1:11 PM Reply   
or else ... 10 reasons why wakeboarding has an identity crisis
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-05-2011, 1:20 PM Reply   
Boots look the same, but really arent the same. Same deal with bindings. Way more support built into snowboard boots and bindings, snowboard bindings have a base and a lot more padding on them, and the boots are insulated (obviously). Thats like saying a ski boot is a motocross boot because they look similar. As for board shape...I shouldnt have to say anything. The System 2.0? Snowboarding is skiing is dh mountain biking is longboarding because they all go down hills. But fun fact, I'm in the wakeboarding System 2.0 shot, the blurr on the far right of the dock in the yellow, red, and blue boardshorts. Sarnia Boarderpass rocks! All the rest of your reasons apply to skateboarding and surfing as well, so they kinda suck.
I hope this is a joke. Yes the sports are similar, but they really arent that much the same. To say they are the same sport is a gross oversatement. So you can pick 10 specific things that are the same. I'm sure I could come up with 20 things that are miles apart. I like each one in their own season, but they're very very different.
Old    sperbet            04-05-2011, 1:46 PM Reply   
this is why they are not and never will be the same...
Attached Images

Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-05-2011, 2:05 PM Reply   
C'mon, Sperbet, navigating our local lake on a busy day looks about as gnarly as that descent. And, let's see the snowboarders pull this one off:

Old     (jpods22)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-05-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
I dont care who says wake is trying be like snow. Nor should anyone else. They are similar sports, both unique and very fun.......lets leave it at that and move on.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-05-2011, 3:44 PM Reply   
the season really needs to start soon...
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2011, 4:14 PM Reply   
Instead of wakeboarding and snowboarding, we can just call it all "Bootboarding". Haha. Seriously tho, its like comparing beach volleyball with hard floor volleyball. The same movements, objectives, and in some cases equipment, just a different surface.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-05-2011, 5:13 PM Reply   
But if you can wakeboard, it really won't help you at all snowboarding and vis-versa. The rider we had the toughest time teaching to wakeboard last year was a snowboarder, and I've taken wakeboarders onto the hill before and it's comedy hour. There are several sports more similar to snowboarding than wakeboarding is.

From decades of experience- a waterskier or surfer learns to wakeboard faster than a snowboarder, and a skier learns to snowboard faster than a wakeboarder.
Old     (rclester89)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-05-2011, 7:02 PM Reply   
Gangstar, not to toot my own horn, but having never snowboarded in my life, I rode a black by the end of my first day (not well, but not mapleleafing the whole thing), and landed a back 3 off a decently sized kicker by my third. The entire edging concept after wakeboarding seemed to directly translate onto the snow (ice, never ridden fresh pow). I think they are two completely different sports that share one thing in common, catching an edge sucks! If you understand the whole edging concept then I think wake to snow is a fairly easy transition.
Old     (Lakemiltonwake)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-05-2011, 7:40 PM Reply   
I agree, Just in my personal experience.. Anyone who I have seen really pick up wakeboarding quickly has had some prior board experience in their past. Not saying that they are too similar, but the balance and cooridination carries through.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-05-2011, 8:36 PM Reply   
It definitely does make a difference. Many things DON'T translate over 100%, but proprioception in the air and on rails, concept of edging, switch riding, speed comprehension, and just the feeling of standing sideways with stationary feet positions definitely do translate. This was my first year snowboarding at 21, and I was able to hit some medium sized jumps with grabs my first day out. I'm no expert, but on my 2nd time out, I was comfortable hitting everything our closest ski area had to offer with complete confidence. Bottom line, the more you stand sideways at speed on ANYTHING, gives you an edge. The hippocampus remembers that stuff! lol
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-05-2011, 9:25 PM Reply   
Do hockey players and la crosse players do this crap on thier forums? Who would win out on that one? Or maybe Taco Bell vs. Taco Johns or Del Taco. Who is more CORE...
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-05-2011, 11:21 PM Reply   
I've been snowboarding for 23 years and wakeboarding for about 6. I definitley wakeboard more now then I snowboard but I still love both. Are they the "SAME"? No, but are the very similar? Come on of course they are. You stand sideways strapped onto a board and you try to hit jumps and/or rails. Yes yes there are other elements but I know I do them both because they are so similar. Powder and Butter.....
Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-06-2011, 4:48 AM Reply   
Leave it to Cisco......
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-06-2011, 7:52 PM Reply   
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-07-2011, 8:27 AM Reply   
lol nice call shaun!

+1

;p
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-07-2011, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crawley View Post
But if you can wakeboard, it really won't help you at all snowboarding and vis-versa. The rider we had the toughest time teaching to wakeboard last year was a snowboarder, and I've taken wakeboarders onto the hill before and it's comedy hour. There are several sports more similar to snowboarding than wakeboarding is.

From decades of experience- a waterskier or surfer learns to wakeboard faster than a snowboarder, and a skier learns to snowboard faster than a wakeboarder.
I've seent he exact opposite. We had a pro snowboarder on our boat last year that was in his first year wakeboarding landing back rolls, raleys, 360s, and went bigger than anyone else who rode with us. If you're good at one board sport odds are you'll be good at all of them. You just have to adjust a little.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-07-2011, 10:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
I've seent he exact opposite. We had a pro snowboarder on our boat last year that was in his first year wakeboarding landing back rolls, raleys, 360s, and went bigger than anyone else who rode with us. If you're good at one board sport odds are you'll be good at all of them. You just have to adjust a little.
I'm with Joe on this one. In my experience, the people who dont think they know what they're doing are the most open to instruction, while the snowboarders try to apply snowboarding to water, which often doesnt work. For that matter, the hardcore athletes do worse as well. My soccer playing friend tries to muscle his way through everything, while another friend's 6' 120 lb brother used great technique to pull everything off.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       04-07-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
I have been snowboarding for 10 years, and wakeboarding for 11, and I think they very similar, but i would not say they equal each other. I have also been a snowboard instructor for 4 years, and some of the hardest people to teach are SNOW skiers, while the easiest are skateboarders, wakeboarders, surfers etc. Skiers are not use to going down the hill sideways, while everyone that rides a board is so it makes the transition much easier. Again what Chris said, its all about just adjusting from one board to another. You wouldn't say Soccer and Basketball equal each other because they both use a ball, dribble it, and score by shooting it into a net?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-07-2011, 11:34 AM Reply   
Same experience here. My daughter and her girl friends got up faster than their athletic boy friends who struggled. But after the boys finally got it, then they progressed much faster.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-07-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
Many of the techniques between wakeboarding and snowboarding are very similar. Of course you have edging, but also how you stand tall at the wake is a lot like how you handle the transition on a half pipe.

Where I think the issues lie is not with those who are very good at other board sports, but more those who are beginers or lower intermediates in other board sports. I've taken out people who are marginal on a snowboard who struggle and try to ride it just like a snowboard, but anyone who has complete control on a snowboard always is able to adapt to the wake board right away. I came from snowboarding and had no issues with wakeboarding myself.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-07-2011, 11:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
I'm with Joe on this one. In my experience, the people who dont think they know what they're doing are the most open to instruction, while the snowboarders try to apply snowboarding to water, which often doesnt work. For that matter, the hardcore athletes do worse as well. My soccer playing friend tries to muscle his way through everything, while another friend's 6' 120 lb brother used great technique to pull everything off.
I'm a larger athletic guy and I still find myself muscling through some moves wakeboarding, especially when tired or frustrated. I have some skinny friends that never muscle through and do better at times. I can definitely see what you're saying
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-07-2011, 12:12 PM Reply   
Are these guys wakeboarding or snowboarding when they hydroplane?

Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-07-2011, 2:55 PM Reply   
Top one is snowboarding, bottom one is wakeboarding on a snowboard. You can wakeboard on a surfboard and snowboard on a skateboard deck. Whats your point?
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-07-2011, 7:12 PM Reply   
Lemme get this straight. If you start on snow then it's snowboarding, but if you start on sand it's wakeboarding?
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       04-07-2011, 7:25 PM Reply   
It doesnt matter what surface your on or if your riding rails or water or snow, if you have a wakeboard under your feet its wakeboarding, if you have a snowboard on your feet its snowboarding IMO.
Old     (jasonmurray12)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-07-2011, 7:55 PM Reply   
I don't really get the point of all this. Why do we have to define everything so detailed? who cares what its called? We could still be calling it skurfing on a regular basis for all i care! As long as you are having fun, take what you want from where you want.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-07-2011, 9:53 PM Reply   
+ 1 (gotwake133)
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-08-2011, 12:48 AM Reply   
waterboarding.
Old     (TelepromptedAnthems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-08-2011, 6:36 AM Reply   
As much as people like to debate this stuff online, we should start calling it KEYboarding, am I right???
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-08-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
Why not just combine the two...

from Kyle P on Vimeo.

But seriously, why reinvent the wheel? Every industry steals ideas from other industries that are similar.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-08-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
Our efforts at combining the two. Somewhere on wakeworld we posted up a bunch of pics, but couldn't find it:
Attached Images

Old    sperbet            04-08-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
Ask and you shall recieve...

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=684717
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-08-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
cisco, do you just think of dumb things to post..
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-08-2011, 2:54 PM Reply   
WAKEBOARDING >snowboreding of course they are not equal Wakeboarding is much better, and I love snowboarding!
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-08-2011, 3:10 PM Reply   
How do you bored? Is that when you strap into a snowboard and just stand there all day? Sounds like wakeboarding is a lot better than that. This isnt really a debate about which one is better.
Old     (Erik2393)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-08-2011, 8:46 PM Reply   
+1 to yeahhh
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-08-2011, 10:39 PM Reply   
BUT wakeboarding is waaaaay more fun than snowboarding. IMO
Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-09-2011, 4:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahhh View Post
cisco, do you just think of dumb things to post..
What's dumb is that you and your butt buddy (S.N.=)" hmmm" took the time to make an anonymous account to wine about other peoples thoughts. This thread may or may not seem pointless but something good might come from it, you never know. Maybe you should relax a little....

Last edited by iRIDEWAKES; 04-09-2011 at 4:48 AM.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-10-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
BCH, those photos are awesome!
Old     (xtremebordgurl)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-15-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
I think beyond a doubt they are similar and many ideas are inspired by the other sports, but thats how we got skateboarding and snowboarding. How can I surf when the waves are flat? Skateboarding is born. How can I surf when its freezing out? Snowboarding. How can I surf/carve when I don't live near the beach? Wakeboarding. They aren't all the same, but I think they all inspire each other for sure. There is a definite high to being on a board and the natural motions of carving and the competitiveness of it all. We've just created different sports to access that same feelings in different conditions (snow, beach, concrete, lakes, etc.).
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-15-2011, 2:23 PM Reply   
Dude, let this stay dead.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-15-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
Thank you for your contribution Bess. You are right that a lot of these sports inspire each other.
Surfing definitely inspired skateboarding, but Kelly Slater said that skateboarding has inspired surfing as well.
Here is an example:
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-15-2011, 3:15 PM Reply   
Bess Marine said it all. And quite eloquently I might add.