Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                08-03-2006, 9:29 PM Reply   
So I finally got the guts to try a tantrum. My first attempts were terrible, but after that I could nearly land on the board without the rope. A few more tries after that I could almost land it with the rope.
I'll give you a list of what I feel is happening on my attempts:
1. I cut out, start cutting fairly fast (detention "get on the gas right away")
2. Wait till a few feet to the wake to let off, then at the top of the wake flip.
3. I get this weird feeling like I'm being pulled like a 180 while I'm in the air. ????
4. Spot the water, then land, but there seems to be so much tension I can't hold on. Could be board angle, approach?

One more thing I'm landing about 3/4th across the wake, so I'm wondering how to clear the wake and do the flip.

If you guys have any step by step instructions that would be great. thanks.
Old     (doogles)      Join Date: May 2004       08-07-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
Here are a few things that might help:

You said you are letting off a few feet from the wake. Try holding your edge until you are almost to the top of the wake. This will give you more height, more distance, and more time to spot the landing.

If you are having trouble holding onto the handle when you land you are probably landing kind of crunched up and on your heels. Getting more height with the trick will help with this, as will clearing the wake. Also, make sure that when you leave the wake you are standing very tall as it will help you land in a taller position. Hope this helps...keep us informed on the progress.
Old                08-07-2006, 4:16 PM Reply   
hey thanks man
I went out and tried this last weekend and it was the same type of thing. I was a little more straight up. I still landed the same way, except it seemed I landed on the board then did a massive backflop right afterwards.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-08-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
when i was learning the tantrum i had the problem of rotating 180 in the air. Someone on this site told me to really concentrate on kicking my head straight back. It turned out i was slightly doing it to an angle and then when i concentrated on being sure it went straight back i was able to stay straight in the air. May seem dumb but it works, kinda like the tip to keep both palms down on the handle unlike a water ski grip, sounds stupid but definetly helps.
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-09-2006, 12:20 AM Reply   
Ok here my two cents: Try not no leave to early. Take off at the top of the wake. As you're cutting in, keep an eye at the top of the wake as long as possible, then let go with your back hand, square off (turn board parallel to the wake) and jump by standing tall at the top of the wake tilting your head backwards. The rotation comes easy and needs no further initiation. Think jumping upwards, not backwards. The take off should feel like being shot upwards with a catapult - you can really feel the pop like a soft explosion. The landing should be soft and effortless with almost no tension on the rope - shouldn't feel much harder than landing a bunny hop - honestly. Hope this helps. Good luck!