Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (luismauricior)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-13-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
Hey everyone - A couple of friends and I are thinking about going to lake powell next year. Anyone got any suggestions on when the best time of year would be for little wind, sun, great riding etc..?

Also appreciated are any tips on where to stay ( i was thinking about the lake powell resort but i know you can stay either at the northern side or the southern side of the lake) as well as renting a boat.

Thanks for all the info!
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-13-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
I am planning on going on this trip with Mauricio. When we saw you could rent an X-Star we were all for it. Anyone rented one out there? what kind of condition are they in?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-13-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
I have not heard of being able to rent an x-star out here, and i am from here (Page AZ)... or maybe that is whay i have not heard of this. Locals are not always the best people to get tips on renting and hotels and such, 'cause they typically don't need them.

Anyway, the Southern (Page, AZ) side offers the best, close-to-the-lake amenities as it is the part that is most commercialized with ARAMARK and ANTELOPE PNT. MARINA being your two big providers of neccesities (boat rentals that is)

You may be able to rent a boat in mid or northern utah and trailer it down if necessary. I have a friend that his family was thinking of buying a set of boats (including a malibu wake boat) to rent out next year. i'll have to see if they pulled the trigger on that deal.

AS for best times. Right after Labor Day is THE BEST time to go. The weather is good, everyone is back to school and there is far fewer people on the lake, and the water is still a great temp. Right after Memorial day is not too bad either. Stay away from the two holidays mentioned. You could try hitting up Bro Stock next year. The waters will be busier with wake boats then (near by the event) but it will be a great experience. It should occur some time in June. July to early Aug is considered the "monsoon" season and can get some interesting winds, besides that, it is the hottest time anyway, but i guess that explains it.

If i had a boat i might offer to take you about.. but not ;)

ask away on more specifics if you wish. I and many others are very familiar with Powell and the surroundings
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-13-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
Having worked for aramark in the past i know they have about 3 centurions. avalance and typhoon series at their boat rentals. i am not sure what antelope point has. OH and there are other rental agencies in page and bigwater and such, but those you will have to trailer out to the lake and/or pay a fee i am sure to get them out there.
Old     (luismauricior)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-13-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
We can rent a Mastercraft from invert sports ( http://www.invertsports.com/content/view/28/55/ ) : using the following daily rates:

MasterCraft X-1 Rental $435/day
MasterCraft X-30 Rental $475/day
MasterCraft X-Star $645/day (3 or more days rental price, may be rented less than 3 days)
MasterCraft X-45 Rental $795/day (3 or more days rental price, may be rented less than 3 days)

Ever heard of these guys? They reputable at all?
Old     (luismauricior)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-13-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
Oh, and thanks so much for all the info Jeremy - this is great!
Old     (wakex2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-13-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
i've thought about that trip myself and it's got to be worth it to pull your own stuff there for those prices... heck buy a used one and you could keep it three months for those prices as well if you rode for 3-4 days... that's high... we've thought about renting a big RV and pulling out there for the week... be there in around 28 hrs... a haul but we'd be riding comfortably
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-13-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
looks like they http://www.invertsports.com/content/view/33/62/ have a lake powell package.

never heard of them. doing some quick searching i found they are located in http://maps.google.com/maps?q=801-830-8864&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B2GGIC_en__214__214&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl
Springville UT. Utah has got one of the (if not the biggest) in land wake scene. i had my bets they were in utah. looks kool though. they do charters all over it looks like
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-13-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
ohh, and my friend that was thinking of buying the boats is still looking into it, so nothing reliable from him yet.

and whatever you do, make sure you reserve in advance. some people book some of these boats years in advance!!!!!!!!!! Lake Powell has been slow to recognise the wake scene (like i said ARAMARK has 3 centurions), so if you want to get something from near by. get it ASAP