Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (makai_surfer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-01-2007, 8:56 PM Reply   
I need to help here. I have an 06 MC X-30 and currently use a stock OJ prop with the 350HP MCX engine. The current prop under performs with a heavily weighted boat and I would like to hear from anyone who can speak intelligently about either an ACME or OJ prop, which will get on plane with a heavily weighted wakeboard boat...?

Please Help...!
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-02-2007, 7:07 AM Reply   
If the prop has the same diameter, pitch, and cup (both made with the CNC process) they will be very similar. IMHO, OJ gets some unfair comparisons when people compare the older props (non CNC) to a ACME CNC. Each companies wakeboard props get great reviews. OJ has more size options in wakeboard props, but you can't compare apples to apples because they don't make them in the same diameter (Oj is 14.25 and ACME is 14.5). I am happy with my OJ but I never tried a ACME.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-03-2007, 4:55 AM Reply   
This may be a stupid question but is there a benefit to getting a larger diameter prop if it fits, i.e., better pull out of the hole? I've been contemplating getting a new prop but don't know which way is best to go between the two companies. Thanks,
Old     (mbouchard)      Join Date: May 2006       09-03-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
yea - more torque - more surface contact to the water but - the con is if it is too close to the hull of the boat you will feel the vibration and turbulance from the prop - can be more noisy also.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-03-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
but more surface area will also require less pitch. dontg wanna lug the motor
Old    murrayair            09-03-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
I've always had better luck with Acme.
Old     (makai_surfer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-03-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
Can anyone speak intelligently about either an OJ or ACME Prop...?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-03-2007, 7:48 PM Reply   
OJ has incredible customer service call Eric he is so easy to work with.
Old     (heeb_v215)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-03-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
Acme Props work great for me , If you are looking for more out of the hole you need to lower the pitch. For 1 inch less pitch rpm willgo up150 to200 rpm so be carefull of over rev You will also looseto end speed but who cares if your just using the boat what it is intended for..Go to Delta Props they are great.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-04-2007, 6:13 AM Reply   
Quote "Can anyone speak intelligently about either an OJ or ACME Prop...?"

I guess that no one above gave you "intelligent information" on either so here is the bottom line. I have heard of two people running a head to head test with OJ and ACME. One picked the OJ and one picked the ACME. Both companies have a great reputation. There is no magical answer. Try them or flip a coin.
Old     (swoop)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-04-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
Jason, I have the Malibu 247. I started with a stock Acme and switched to OJ.

However, Acme offers a prop that would have done the job just as well. I went with OJ for two reasons:

1. I got a great deal on the price of the prop
2. OJ will swap it out with another model if it doesnt feel right.

Can you tell me what size prop & pitch you are running now? Or a model # and I can look it up.

To give you intelligent information, you have to fill me in on your particular situation. I need to know how much stock ballast you have, how much you add on top of that, how many people you usually take out, and some technical data about your boat besides the 350hp engine.

It is also very important to know how you use your boat. For instance, do you wakeboard 100% of the time? Do you like to cruise around the lake and take in the scenery (it does matter)? Do you partake in any crossover sports like ski, slalom, tube, foil, etc?

If you can get me this info it will be a good start to choosing the best prop. We can get into specifics later.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-04-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
Coke or Pepsi? Chevrolet or Ford? etc...