Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-08-2007, 9:07 PM Reply   
Well it's not my love story, but it was true love at last!!

So a friend of mine that has been wake-boarding for about 4 years started his quest to find his perfect wake-board last year. He tried the LF Watson, a couple of different Krown boards, a couple of different Gator boards, and the O'Brien Natural and Valhalla. He ended up getting the Hyperlite 3DS (he got a good deal) and rode it for the rest of the season last year.

Well our season is just getting started here in Washington and he decided he wasn't really happy with the 3DS. We went riding on Sunday and he rode his 3DS the first set. One of the other guys in the boat had a O'Brien Cartel and said he could take it for a spin. He had looked at the Cartel earlier and commented to me that he didn't think it looked like the type of board he would like. I told him he should give it a shot, so he did.

The minute he popped up out of the water he had a huge smile from ear to ear. He started carving around and checking it out and then he hit the wake and boom he got more pop with less effort then ever before. He was so stoked and I think a little amazed. Here was a board he had looked at that he didn't think he would like and now he was in love!! When he got back in the boat he couldn't stop talking about how lively and effortless the board felt. He commented that it made the 3DS feel like someone had put on the E-Brake when riding it. He also loved how soft the Cartel landed.

So long Love Story short: Don't try and judge a board just by looking at it, and try the O'Brien Cartel when you get the chance!!
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-08-2007, 9:20 PM Reply   
For a minute there I thought you were cheating on your natural!!
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-08-2007, 9:38 PM Reply   
How does it compare to the natural?
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-08-2007, 9:53 PM Reply   
Come on Mike. I could never do that!!!

For my style of riding, the Natural seems to pop more for me then the Cartel. I think I ride a little tail heavy and the wider tail of the Natural really helps it pop of the wake.

They are both really fast and lively on the water. The Cartel might land a little softer because it has a V bottom all the way through the board. The Natural has a V bottom but it has a true 3 stage flat spot in the center.

Like I have said before, if there wasn't a Natural, I would ride the Cartel.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-08-2007, 11:01 PM Reply   
This might be a long shot, but wasnt one of the O'brien "Hyperlite" brothers, now Ronix in jail for something drug related?

So, isnt it kind of funny that O'brien named a board "Cartel"????
Old     (luke_d)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-08-2007, 11:29 PM Reply   
luciana, back in the day herb obrien developed a revolutionary new ski core made out of coke
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-09-2007, 5:53 AM Reply   
Luke, You mean coke cola dont you?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-09-2007, 6:17 AM Reply   
Me too Mike, I thought that Jakober had a second woman! The cartel is so fast and sexy, i have been making everyone try it out that comes out riding and they are falling like flys for it one after another, they are starting to ride the mighty Cartel! Great Great Great Board!!
Old     (jarabacoa)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-09-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
Luciano,
That's hilarious. I never put the two together. And I believe it was coming from South America too.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-09-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
Don't everyone go breaking your obrien boards open now. That was all a long time ago. Besides, I heard they were trying to come up with new cores for skiis that were light weight and freindly to the environment. It was all a big misunderstanding.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-09-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
It's funny how this old story keeps coming up like it's something new and the guy behind it all is now working his way through his 4th wakeboard company!
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-09-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
As far as I concern, I dont really care much, just having a little fun with the issue.

By the way, Herb O'brien always pulls out incredible products, I'm myself an old school Hyperlite fan. So the best for him in his new enterprise

(Message edited by luchog on May 09, 2007)