Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (nevada_champ)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-07-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
I am Nevada INT wakeboard state champ. I'm currently looking for some sponsorships but need some help on like tricks and stuff to learn to get noticed. Anyone got some suggestions?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-07-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
Promotion is probably more important than how many tricks you can do..
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-07-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
you need to spend a lot of time getting to know and hanging out with the companies reps. once yuo have a relationship with them they will notcie your activites and keep an eye out for you. any event that goes on in your area wether it be a contest, sale, movie premier or boat show be there and hang out. sponsorship is basically a promotion job if you really look at it. instead of paying you money in the begining they give you free product for advertising for them. your a walking talking riding billboard. think about it that way.
Old     (dmac)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-07-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
Enjoy you're time for freeriding and not having to worry about sponsors while you can.

Don't seek sponsorhip out, let it come to you. Plus it's much sweeter that way. And always keep a level head.

(Message edited by dmac on April 07, 2008)
Old     (nevada_champ)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-07-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
hey thanx! that helps. ill have to show my coach this. he duznt really let me freeride anymore unless hes not there and then my dad makes me train. ugh. o well ill definatly show them this. my parents are setting up all these comps and stuff and idk if ill have a summer this summer. lol thanx again.
if u have more suggestions PLEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ post them i need as much help as i can get
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-07-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
kendelle... coach? doesn't let you freeride? wakeboarding should be a self expression sport. you should not be told what you can and can't do with your riding. just ride and have fun and ride with a bunch of different people all over. don't worry about sponsorships, that will come eventually.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
Tell that coach to take a hike and use the money you save for free riding gas.

I practice a ton before the larger tournaments, but I always make time for free riding.

just out of curiosity, what division?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-07-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
FREE RIDE!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-07-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
Sounds like wakeboarding isn't too fun for you kendelle, sucks man
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-07-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
"Don't seek sponsorhip out, let it come to you."

That might work if you're Randall Harris or Sean O'Brien but some advice for the rest of the mere mortals out there - don't hold your breath while you're on that plan!

I'm curious what division you're riding and how old you are as well. I think Jason laid out some good advice above. Freeriding should be part of the plan unless your fundamentals aren't right, then you do need to practice and get those down.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-07-2008, 6:58 PM Reply   
I agree with everyone, freeriding and having fun is def. the most important aspect.

If you are already the INT state champ, sounds like you are already on the right path. Just keep doing what you are doing and sponsorships will find you, when the time is right. (From my experience in the snow and wake industry, it is much better when they come to you than when you seek them out.)

Remember, attitude is very important and everything you say and do will reflect your potential as a sponsored rider, so if you keep an upbeat and positive attitude and keep on charging and participating in events getting a local sponsor should eventully happen naturally.

Good luck:-)
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
Have Stalin shoot Your Coach In The Forehead.
Old     (nevada_champ)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-07-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
For all of you to know im not very good. im on;y junior entro in nevada int. but yes im already getting into stuff like this and other problems with going pro.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
Trevor....?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-07-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
hhmm....i'd like to point out a historical inaccuracy/impossibility with the "shoot your coach in the head" suggestion
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-07-2008, 7:18 PM Reply   
Andrea gives good advice, don't know what division you ride in or how you did at INT nationals, but if your not riding Outlaw and winning on a regular bases, get in line. Best advice I can give is try and get a local board shop to hook you up to start with. Arun had the best advice, Just remember there are a lot of dues to be paid, and it's a long road. Good luck and ride for fun, that's why you started, right?
Old     (nevada_champ)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-07-2008, 7:21 PM Reply   
ya i placed 16th at nationals i have off-axis in auburn california and preffered rv and marine in fallon nevada as sponsors and ther both pushing me a lot. with preferred we have barbecues 1 a month. video shoots and practice 1 or 2 a week so idk wuts going to happen
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-07-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
I think promoting yourself through photography and video would probably help, along with all of the other stuff above. Get a friend to use your camera during all of your sets, or hire a photographer. If you get a nice picture, post it here, send it to the company who's board you ride..."Here's a picture my friend took while I was riding your board..."
Get creative.
Help out as much as possible at your local comps.
... ... ...
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-07-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
Good luck Kendelle! Give 'er hell! Best of luck!
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
Jokeing! Joking... menat to put a smiley...

off axis is sponsoring you? I'm not very good either, I also have "sponsors" but yours seem a lot better. Monster just gives me free drinks and shirts etc. and Kickers pretty much the same. I dont know If Id call them sponsors or what, all I know is I kinda feal stupid [though I apreciate it] for having sponsors in such a low division. Kendelle I'm wondering how old you are because I assume if you are very very young sponsors might appreciate the fact that you are starting so soon and show potential of being an insane rider by the time youre ten.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-07-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
yea i hate to be negative but letting someone push you around and them not giving you the chance to have fun is all bad. i have seen many families who have 2 or more kids that the parents push them so hard that after a few years they were burnt out and hated the sport. they would make the kids ride and if they didnt do what their parents said while they were riding(ie:certain tricks) they would stop the boat and leave them in the water until they agreed to do it.

josh smith says it best in the movie Delta Sessions 2: "tricks are for kids, if you arents riding for style, then you arent really riding for yourself" basically that means have fun and make your riding feel good and look good to you.
Old     (berryessa_mom)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-07-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
Second that Jason. We want the best from our kids, but how much, is too much? STYLE gets it....
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-07-2008, 10:49 PM Reply   
Gosh, I can't count how many times I have people ask to be sponsored and my first question to them is "what is a sponsorship mean to you?". My favorite answer is "Uh, it's where you hook me up with stuff and I ride it or wear it." Classic, Classic! I am super strict about my skate team and it takes work inside and outside. Inside (inside themselves, they must be truly sincere about why they do what they do and be passionate about it) and outside (when they are out skating and mingling with others they are representing us so I expect them to be humble and kind to everyone) If I hear that a rider misrepresents us I may or may not cut them from the team. I cut 4 guys all at once and some people thought it was harsh but in reality I put out way more by hooking them up and having them represent us. I have had parents come in to try and get their kids sponsored and I don't even go there. If a kid can't sell themselves to me then how would they sell people on my company?

Here is a question... what kid would you pick to represent your company and why?

a) kid has a great personality and can talk to people and can wakeboard well.

b) kid does not have much of a personality and does not like socializing BUT he absolutely kills it on wakeboard.

Sorry to ramble but I think I could keeping going for hours on this subject.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-08-2008, 7:11 AM Reply   
Good post Arun, another question that gets asked more then might think "what are your grades like in school" I know one board shop owner that makes his kids maintain a 3.0 to stay on the team.
Old     (nevada_champ)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-08-2008, 7:47 AM Reply   
ya i skipped a grade and have a 4.0. it helps any1. im rely not looking for big big spinsorships like hyperlite or anything (but it works)im rely only looking for like spnsorships like paying for comp entry fees and stuff. i just a bought and MB B52V23 and that put a reallt big holoe in our pockets. so just like small sponsorships and stuff
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-08-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
Who's your coach? It maybe a little early for a coach spend time free riding with people who are better then you, they can help you learn. Like Arun said be the best person you can be and get out and talk to reps at the contest you ride in, and Like Randy said it's a long road and there's alot of traffic on it. Have a much fun as you can, because it sounds like work right now....I think Randy is one of Alex's best sponsor's!
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-08-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
I think that your "coach" and parents might have a different agenda. Not letting you have fun, and free ride just to ride is the wrong way to go about it. Owning a wakeboard school and being a coach I see it all the time when we get a hockey dad out there and is always telling the kid what to do. You should see the look on his face. They usually don't want to. I now have a no parents in the boat rule. They can stay on the dock, and watch from there but are no longer allowed in the boat because they take the fun out of it for their kids.

Your young, your supposed to have fun, not be pushed until you want to quit. Don't let your "coach" put so much pressure on you, that can be bad. Have fun, and ride because you want to ride, not because your being told to. Good luck.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-08-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
Hey Brandon, Both my kid's play hockey. Larry used to ride with a kid who's dad would tell his kid I'm tried of seeing the same tricks over and over your just wasting gas! I think he was a Soccer Dad.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-08-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
4.0 and can't even spell "really"
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-08-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
I have to agree with what BBR (Brandon) and Arun said here.

It really sounds like your parents and "coach" need to lay off a bit. The idea of them stealing your summer sounds ruff and like a good way to burn you out. Being from Minnesota I cant tell you how many Hockey dads I have seen and helped in lessons and at contest. These partent turn wakebording into a constant drill and practice. They suck all the fun out it, and wakeboarding should be one of the most fun aspects of life.

As for the sponsorship thing - don’t push it too much so its forced, but to a certain extent it is important to stay focused on. I got sponsored by just staying true to myself and showing that I was a respectable person and would be an asset to the team. What has always frustrated me is that a lot of people seemed to be focused on getting sponsored and getting free stuff, that is the bonus of being sponsored but not the point. That is evident when you are talking to people and once they find out you are sponsored the immediately ask if you can hook them up with something. That drives me nuts! What sponsors focus on is what you can do for them, put their gear on the podium, pics in mags, and promote them in the matter in which they want you to do so. This is your job for them, in return you get gear and $$$, but it is a give and take. Doing this allows you more something far more important than free gear, it allows you take some of the monetary burden off yourself and your family and focus more on your riding instead of how you are going to afford a new set-up, this in my eyes is the gift your sponsors give you, the single most important part of a sponsorship. So all that being said, focus on sponsorships as a building a relationship not for free gear, or becoming part of something bigger than your current wakeboard scene, more deeply involving yourself something you love and with a company(s) you believe in, not just free schwagg.

Just my two cents.
Old     (nevada_champ)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-08-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
hey its called texting!!!!!!! kk im lazy on the internet.
Old     (hart_keene)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-08-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
Why are you concerned with being sponsored? Just to say that you're sponsored? Who cares...

There are only a SMALL number of riders who actually make money at this sport. The rest have a job or serious support from their family. Not trying to be rude but if you look at the background of some of "the names" in our beloved sport they had money to begin with or should I say their family had money. You don't see innercity kids come up in this sport like basketball, football, or even skateboarding. Boats, gas, lakefront property, coaching, etc. all costs money. For love or money? In this sport its not really a choice...sorry to burst your bubble bud but don't wakeboard for all the wrong reasons or this sport will let you down...

I don't usually write long posts on here with serious content but your post really blew me away. You have(along with your coach and parents)a weird way of looking at this sport and I believe your intentions will actually hold you back if you are not careful. But to each their own I guess...Good luck.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-08-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
I would say being a female, the competition is less then being a male and breaking into the sport.
Not to take anything away from the ladies, because they rip and are throwin down.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-08-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
It probably wouldn't hurt changing your profile picture to something that shows you got skillz!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-08-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
Innov8

if you have half the tricks Dallas has I would be impressed...
Old     (hart_keene)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-08-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
LOL!
Old     (hart_keene)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-08-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
I didnt realize you were female so I think it will be much easier to at least pick up some sponsors...but you will still pump a lot of money into the sport.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-08-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
sponsor house.com

My kids are really into mtn biking and race in some local events. They both put up a profile on sponsor house and have "applied" to a couple of different companies. They have both received a couple of "sponsorships". At their level that means 20-50% off stuff they buy (good marketing program). The companies they have contacted have different sponsorship levels starting with merchandise discounts and going up from there. I'm sure most "team members" at that level never go any further. For those that want to push it further, it seems like one way to market yourself, and establish some contacts.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-08-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
Steezy,I dont have half the trick list of Dallas and I could care less if your impressed or not!!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-08-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
I'm glad you don't care, because I'm not impressed.

(Message edited by steezyshots on April 08, 2008)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-08-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
Unnecessary.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-08-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
A lot of good advice from people who know...Arun, Randy (Alex), Gordy (Larry), and others....but I think Justin's advice will help you put their words into action:

Help out as much as possible at your local comps.

This is the first place the local reps. will see you, and the best way to get noticed is to be willing to do whatever it takes to promote the sport (NOT YOURSELF) in your area. Until you're a brand like Byerly, Parks, and a VERY FEW others, you need to promote the sport....which in turn will show others that you can promote their product in a positive way.

And good luck not getting burned out....just remember that in the end, you'll only ride for fun anyway.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-08-2008, 11:47 AM Reply   
ugh.....i can't stand when people type like they are text messaging. the whole point of making text messaging easier was because it took too long to type on a phone number pad. It really saves you NO time to use that concept on a computer keyboard and it comes off as bad spelling. It is a bad habit that most kids have now accepted as the normal way of spelling. It has bled into school papers and assignments. It makes people seem uneducated.

What i would suggest is get some photos, and videos together and have it edited into a video that has actual footage and a photo slideshow mix. Then come up with a sort of resume of wakeboarding, that covers events you have won or placed in, things about you personally such as your personality, school grades, extra curricular activities other than wakeboarding (this shows your able to multitask and keep things balanced). Include a letter of why you would like to represent whatever company your sending it to. Then send a DVD with the video along with your wakeboarding resume and cover letter off.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-08-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
There is also no excuse for lame typing on phones with a QWERTY or even T9.

If you are too lazy to type simple words correctly, are you too lazy to do the things your sponsor wants?

(Message edited by timmy on April 08, 2008)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-08-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
Personality, personality, personality..... That's what will sell you to sponsors. You've gotta have game, too, but it's secondary to how social you are and how you represent the company who sponsors you.

You've also gotta be willing to work. There is no free ride. Get out to the events. Volunteer to help the reps out. Trust me, they appreciate it. It'll go a long ways.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-08-2008, 5:33 PM Reply   
How does a 43 year old with no skills get sponsored?
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-08-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
This is what would do.

Dont even go after wakeboard companies.
Go after local businesses.(ie, resorts, girl clothes stores, etc) Tell them what you do and what you will do for them. Always be respectful and promote as much as possible. Even if they give you $20 put their sticker on your board and promote for them. And give them pictures of your wins to post up at there business.

This is what I'd do...

(Message edited by ethan31 on April 08, 2008)
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-08-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
Norco, American Express?
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-09-2008, 5:08 AM Reply   
http://www.lasewer.com/site/amorpro1.html

That is a good article and inspired me to go after a few flow sponsors. It's a little harsh on the industry but it might motivate you a little bit.

edit - On second thought the language might not be for you, let your coach and parents read it though.

(Message edited by sethenol on April 09, 2008)
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-09-2008, 6:41 PM Reply   
Kendelle...
From one chick to another, I've got a lot of insight into your world and what you're going through. Ever since I learned how to stand on a wakeboard, I've had a coach. I've finally settled into an amazing one (Glen at O'Town Watersports) who encourages me to have style and to free ride with my friends when I can. He makes wakeboarding fun for me, and your coach should be making it fun for you, because from what you've said in this post, you sound a little miserable.

With that in mind, there's a few things I think you need to think about.
1) Do you really want this? Because you mentioned you might not have a summer this summer. I've been there... when I was 18, I rode in a comp just over half the weekends of the entire year. No joke, i think i rode in like 26 or 27 comps that year. But you have to LOVE it in order to make it work. Every second I spend wakeboarding, I LOVE. And if you truly have ambitions to go pro, the hard work and dedication is only just beginning because it is NOT an easy road to be a professional, especially if you want to make any money at it. Sometimes it feels harder than it's worth, but it all comes back to how badly do you want it?
2) Sounds like you need to remove your parents from the equation. I have seen soooo many people have their careers ruined from the start or ruined long into their competitive career because their parents were too into it for them. If you want to compete, you need to be registering yourself. If you want sponsors, you need to be talking to them. If YOU want to freeride, you need to tell your parents to lay off and let you have some fun or else you'll die a horrible death from hating wakeboarding.
3) Like a lot of people on here have already said, relax, and sponsors will come to you. Because you're a girl, you'll probably have an easier time getting a good flow of products, but you're still going to have to work twice as hard to get the monetary support. Because companies only dish out the $$$ when the REALLY REALLY believe in you. SO give them a reason to.

Sorry for the long rant, but I hope you get where I'm coming from. Good luck to you! I don't know how far from Vegas you are, but there's really awesome crews to ride with there. Some of those guys can be a BIG help to you.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2008, 6:56 PM Reply   
Nate-O, I second that, I h8 it!

Sponsor house may be a good idea if you are looking for low level "sponsorships" I myself have one and I'm quite ashamed of it, not saying I'm too good for it. I got a contract from one company on thier for a one year period, wore their stuff, hyped the brand etc. which lead to a better contract the next year not affiliated with SH. Here are some rules I suggest you follow because I told my friends about that site and it did not end well.

1) Avoid contracts that give you X% off of this especially if it is something you dont need,... like a watch.

2) you will not find any wakeboard specific companies on there, so re-emphasis on Rule #1.

3) Always, and I mean ALWAYS speak to the companies in a colloquial manner, avoid "kk" "lol" texting words. I'm not old fashion, I'm 15, but I dont think the reps would appreciate it if you sent them a message they have to decode.

4) This isn't a myspace so don't put your favorite movies on there with a glittery backround.

5) Always thank the reps for thier time understand they could be doing something else, dont waste thier time! Courtesy could lead you to better Sponsorship opportunities and I know of a couple companies that have a couple roads that lead to industry occupations.

....Sorry to ramble on....
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
Thread jack: on that la sewer article.... Is that the winch mob guy? came on here running his mouth about how good he was? [I only ask because thats what his deck says on it.]