Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-01-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
So, I have been trying for a couple weeks now to get a wake to wake backside 180. I started out doing them in the flats and then inside out and on to wake to wake. I have tried them several different ways...fast, slow, in to the flats etc. I am just missing it somewhere and I am not sure where. It seems like every time I land I am washing out on my heels. I am passing the handle and pass it pretty consistently, but just can't ride away. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-01-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
Are you comfortable riding switch?
Old    K.B.C.            09-01-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
sounds like you are overrotating. make sure you are not opening your head/shoulders to the boat. you need to land on your toes. a good piece of advise that my buddy gave me is to stick your butt out toward the boat. it helps you get over your toes. good luck
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-01-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
Yeah, I slide out on those also when I over rotate. I've been working on landing cuffed comfortably so I'm not eager to pass. Landing cuffed is also better for holding on to those grabs longer, so it's a good skill to have. If you must pass, wait longer before you do and stick that handle into your "back pocket" and look at the shore, not back at the boat. Just $0.02 from someone working on the same thing..
Old    murrayair            09-01-2008, 12:07 PM Reply   
I had the exact same problem when I was learning them. Like Scott and Alain said, you're over- rotating. The best fix for this, at least for me, is to remember that you are not trying to land with the nose of your board pointing straight forward (i.e. parallel to the path of the boat). Instead, you want to land at roughly a 45 degree angle to the direction the boat is going. In other words, you want to land at the same angle you took off at. You will have a higher success rate with under-rotation than with over-rotation on BS 180s. Also, once you land, continue on your edge away from the wake. This will help keep you off your heels. Good luck!
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-01-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
seems to me that whenever I land mine clean [which isn't very often] I'm either looking at my toes on my back foot, or looking mostly backwards onto shore, I usually slide out on my heels when I either look straight across to the shore or sometimes I try to find the boat. Hope that helps, nothin like landin this trick clean.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-01-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
I definitely think I am over rotating...actually I know I am. I am completely comfortable riding switch. I have tried landing wrapped, but I still end up parallel with the boat. I am definitely going to keep an eye on the rotation next time out..Thanks for the help
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-01-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
dude i had this same problem, you need to look out the back. seriously im landing 9/10 now. pop, wait, pass, look out the back, land, ride away.
http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip017.asp

good info even though its to blind.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-01-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
Yeah, I just watched it. There is no question about my landing. When I wash out I am landing on the wake, so I am for sure over rotating. I should be out again in the next day or two to give it another round