Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-18-2012, 5:28 AM Reply   
I need to take the whole family for a little local vacation. Typically I take the offshore boat to the Keys but since I finished the Nautique I thought I should try a local lake instead this time.
We are two adults, three kids and a 65# dog that swims. Will likely wind up with extra kids, we always do some how LOL.

I want a house on the beach with a dock and a clean sandy bottom, no canals. I also want good water for boarding. I have only been to Placid and it was OK, just OK. How is June? It appears to be about the same size at 3500 acres give or take. West or south looking.

Am I missing a better choice?
What would you recommend and why?

Looking at mid August just before school goes back in. Also looking for affordable pricing. The cheaper the house, the longer we stay.
Thanks.
John
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-18-2012, 2:35 PM Reply   
bump for the after work crowd
Old     (nautiquetrevo)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-22-2012, 9:49 PM Reply   
My family has always gone to Lake Clay (almost 30 years). Very clean, clear lake with a sandy bottom. It's smaller then Lake June but always thought it was the perfect size. Also the cove is deep and allows for good surfing.

There are some nice houses around the lake to rent and the Lake Blue resort, which is a typical little Florida cottage place, not exactly the Ritz but if you only need to sleep then it will do.

Also Lake June sometimes has a funny smell to it but if you were thinking of it I know most people try to stay in the cove of the lake (East side of the lake)
Old     (FSULax)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-24-2012, 12:57 PM Reply   
We have been going to Lake June since well, forever. It's a great lake, deep in 99% of areas now, and big. Big is good because you can usually find a place that isn't covered up with boats. Big is bad sometimes because it will whitecap in the big area if the wind gets up there. Weekends can get pretty busy, but the weekdays are pretty dead. I'm looking out the back windows now and only see one boat! Lake Clay is nice also, but quite a bit smaller than Lake June or Lake Placid. (It's the lake behind the holiday inn express and raceway gas station). Try it out!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-24-2012, 5:55 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I have been looking without much luck on VRBO and other search features. Craigslist has nothing that I can find unless Im searching the wrong area or criteria. I may have to delete the dog option which will be a heart breaker. Our dog is like another child to us. The best behaved child actually.. I am leaning toward June, but will take what I can get at this stage.
John