Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (scar13)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-07-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
My rubber on my Platform is junk! It basicly gets black mess all inthe baot so I ordered me some gator grip.

Question is how do I remvoe the rubber and the glue?
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-07-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
powerwash it off.

it is a pain in the ass , be prepared to spend alot of time on it.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
1) Peel the mating off and if it gives you a problem, use a hair-dryer with the heat on.
2) GluGone for the glue along with a PLASTIC putty knife

A LOT of scrubbing will be required. Good luck.
Old     (vfrdude)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-07-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
I just finished doing this - the material itself will come off fairly easily, but will leave a thick layer of adhesive. Using a heat gun, and a 2 in putty knife.I used a metal one, it didn't scrach anything. It's going to be covered anyway. Heat the adhesive and just peel it right off. There will be a glue residue. This can be taken off using some acetone.

I would advise against using any adhesive remover. I left it on too long, and it lifted the gel coat up in a few spots. I ended up spending a few days fixing this before I was able to get the new pad on....

I ended up going with Hydro-Turf Molded Diamond in black. The original pad on my Outback LS was looking pretty bad.

Upload
Upload
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
Op, to add to Rudy's list of to do's.

Use the previous mating for a template for the new mating.

FYI, nice call Rudy.....
Old     (vfrdude)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-07-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
In my case, the material didn't come up in one piece. I'm lucky that my neighbor is a carpet layer, and he pretty much handled getting the new material cut right. I used dimensions from a new Moomba's ski platform for the center section. The Hydro-Turf sheets aren't long enough to cover in one piece.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
Off Topic

Rudy: how is the HydroTurf working for you? How is the durability of it. I have some samples at home but still thinking about Gator Grip or HydroTurf.....
Old     (vfrdude)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-07-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
I just finished installing it. Haven't had a chance to get it out, and use it. When I do, I'll be sure to let everyone know how it's working out.

There was a thread about Supra swim platform residue, and the Hydro-Truf and Gator grip both received positive comments.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/446833.html
Old     (scar13)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-07-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
Hmm I see people saying use glugone then I see people say dont use adhesive remover then use acetone?

ARGHH HA!

So a little acetone shoudlnt hurt it right?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
I would suggest you do small sections and not all at one time.
Old     (vfrdude)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-07-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
When I messed up my gel coat, I went to talk with the guys at Pro Fiberglass and Gel coat repair in Livermore.
http://www.profiberglass.com/

They said acetone will not harm the gel coat. Use the heat gun with a putty knife, then use acetone to get the small amount of adhesive residue off the surface.

(Message edited by vfrdude on June 07, 2007)
Old     (scar13)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-08-2007, 7:23 AM Reply   
Ok got it done and it was super simple!

one heat gun super heat everything and it pulsl right off and removed 99% of the glue and adhesive.

Any left I used a little green scouring pad and a heat gun and it came right up!
Old     (vfrdude)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-08-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
Cool- If I would have used a heat gun in the first place, I could have had the whole project completed in a few hours. INstead I spent a couple of days fixing the gel coat that had lifted from using the adhesive remover....
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-11-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
I did mine a few months ago. I talked to the folks at Skiers Choice and here's what they told me to do in order to get the adhesive off:

1) Peel off old mats
2) Spray platform down with WD-40 and leave on for 40 mins.
3) Scrape off residue with plastic putty knife.
4) Clean off WD-40 with Acetone (apply and immediately wipe off).

This worked like a charm.
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-11-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
why are you taking it off?
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-12-2007, 3:19 AM Reply   
I'm next! I've had enough with the black residue getting all over my upholstery. There are toe prints everywhere. How much diamond plating should I expect to need and estimate on the cost? Thanks for all the advise...
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-13-2007, 3:13 AM Reply   
Rudy Fierros (vfrdude),

How's the hydro-turf holding up? I see you have black which Hydro-turf said they wouldn't have until July. Thanks,

JHG