Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       02-09-2010, 8:46 PM Reply   
Wow, are people still buying boats as these prices! At the Dallas boat show this past weekend I saw the 2010 Nautique 230 going for $91K and the 2010 Mastercraft X-Star going for $95K. I think the X-55 was around $125K. I just can't believe how much prices have risen over the past few years.

I will give Malibu props for making their boats "reasonably" priced with a loaded 2010 23LSV going for $71K. To my knowledge they are the only manufacturer that did not raise prices on their 2010 line-up from 2009.

The Axis boat is looking pretty nice considering the cost of these other new boats. They had a 2010 completely loaded with a $2K upgraded trailer for $51K. I think my buddy is buying that one though so hands off.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-10-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
The X55 I believe has a real price of $95K posted on the transom and the X-Star was in the low $80s. The X15 was $72k. And those boats were loaded with tower speakers, lights, heaters, and tower camera. The prices were clearly marked on the back of the boats at the Dallas Boat Show, so just wanted to clarify the pricing.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-10-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
Andrew - My Mastercraft prices I did get off of the back of the boats. Maybe they had some "Boat Show" pricing that wasn't as clearly stated.

The Malibu and Nautique prices were straight out of the dealer's mouths.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-10-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
Eubanks--just wanted to make sure that the correct numbers were out on the message board. Right above the MSRP directly from the factor was the TXMC Boat Show Price in bold letters. Hope you enjoyed the boats and let us know if you're coming back next weekend at all!

And here are two quick videos I put together yesterday:

Boat Overview Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtVUTvzAiUE

Pro Shop Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIs0JqJJVPM
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       02-10-2010, 7:07 PM Reply   
No problem. I looked for boat show pricing but only saw the bottom line pricing which is what I stated above. I guess that was MSRP. Nice to know those are selling prices!
Old    supraguy            02-11-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
We just bought a 2010 Axis A22, fully loaded!
For the money, you can't beat the boat!
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-11-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
Wade, did you buy the one that Active had at the Seattle Boat Show?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-11-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
Brett,
We did not... we saw that boat, but had already purchased ours last month from Port Angeles Power Equipment. They gave us a smokin deal. We chose a lt. grey tricked out color, with every option available including the tricked trailer and tower mirror. the boat shipped out from factory yesterday, so should be in our hands by early next week! Dry suit is ready and will hit the water early March.
Upload
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-11-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
Have to agree on the cost of MCs and CCs. A new X-star with the same amenities as my 2008 is now 20K more than when I bought mine. The cost of both materials and labor has decreased in the last 18 months but boat prices go up 20%?

I assume they are selling or the prices would be lower.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-11-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
Its good to see all the Axis love out there right now!
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-12-2010, 5:40 AM Reply   
Or maybe they are just selling a lot LESS boats lately so they figure it would be wise to jack up the price. There are still a number of people out there who have money and will throw down whatever price on a boat if they think it's what they want. Selling less boats, just at a much higher markup. Seriously though, there are quite a few nice houses on the market right now that are cheaper than some of these boats. Rediculous.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-12-2010, 5:51 AM Reply   
WW had a link with quarterly sales and market Share for each manufacture of wake boats, up until the year 2005 and then it ENDS. I tried to find a census online and failed. Can anyone post a link to Sales for wakeboarding boats the past few years? Curious about the actual volumes.

1996 I bought this NEW Ski Centurion Elite Bow rider for $22,000.00 out the door trailer and cover (MSRP was $32,000.00) I guess I was in the right place at right time. I don’t seem to find this right place right times anymore…..in the mist of the worst recession in American History I can’t find a sweet deal on a new boat anywhere.

Upload
Old     (skippers)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-12-2010, 5:52 AM Reply   
lol tell me about it!, at the houston boat show, they had a X-80 for sale there, that if you bought it you got a free truck! they had it there. decked out 2010 4 door Sierra. all black with chrome package. 20s and all the options.
no clue what the boat was selling for. twin engine wake boat, crazy.

for me
moomba & axis>*

(Message edited by STANG_KILLA_SS on February 09, 2010)
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-12-2010, 6:16 AM Reply   
i think that x-80 in Houston was around $100K or so. i actually want to say it was $115k but can't remember for sure.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-12-2010, 6:44 AM Reply   
We went to the Knoxville boat show and saw some pretty high priced ones out there...They werent terrible, but we already put our order in for our Axis last year lol...It was still nice to see the shows starting..makes me hopeful for spring soon.
Wade, I saw your boat pic on facebook tagging axis...Ours is getting built this week and will be out soon after that. We are getting tricked out yellow and black! I feel ya about getting out as soon as possible..gotta wait for our freezing temps stop...we just got dumped with more snow..ugh!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-12-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
bought my 08 centurion new last year paid $30,000 there are still a few deals out thereUpload
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-12-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
There are plenty of realistic deals out their on new boats. There is no sense getting riled up over list prices in the $100's. It's all a big charade.

Here is my attempt to show what I believe going rates are on new boats (not incl. leftover or repo boats).

Malibu/MasterCraft/Nautique = low $60's to high $70's (depending on model... e.g. X-2 in low $60's, X-45 in high $70's).
MB/Supra/Sanger/Tige/Centurion/Epic = low $50's - low $60's
Moomba/Supreme/Calabria = low to high $40's

And if I was in the market, I would not pay more than this. These are what I'd consider "fair street prices."

I could be off some, but this is what I'm seeing/sensing. Feel free to chime in.

(Message edited by ixfe on February 10, 2010)
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-12-2010, 7:33 AM Reply   
DBC, I was boat shopping at the end of the last summer and purchased a new boat in mid Sept.

You prices are actually higer then what I was quoted at the time. I shopped Mastercraft, Malibu, Correct craft, Moomba, and Supra.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-12-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
Paided 58.000 for a 2008 Supra 22SSV New was left over and has everything. This is my second Supra and it's sick. Boat price are getting crazy that one thing that is true and there dose not seem to be any end in site.....
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-12-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
Hide and watch this will be the worst year for boat mfg.Nobody in there right mind will pay 95k for a boat the prices are crazy.Thay are trying to recoup losses from the past 2 years it is only going to hurt in the long run.It a shame but some of the big boys are going down just a matter of time.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-12-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
I went to the Dallas boat show last night. Granted things have changed in the last few years. Improvements are made, hulls change, etc.. BUT..... I still couldn't help but be in shock when I walked past a Supra 22SSV. The boat show special was $61,999.

Again, I realize that the 22SSV that I bought brand new at the boat show 5 years ago is not the same as this year's models, but are they $25,000 worth of different? That's right, in 2005 I bought my 22SSV brand new for $36,999. That is $25,000 less than what they are going for today.

On a side note, I bumped into the national rep for Malibu and he told me that this year sales have picked up. He's a friend of mine who lives down the road from me, so I don't think he was just blowing smoke to keep things positive.
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-12-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
richard u got a great deal in 2005. These boat builders are limiting supply and trying to drive prices back up. Why not try it? Before they were saturating the market and jacking prices which didn't work. It all depends on how long they can sit on them or how much the banks will lend. That will tell whether the current crazy pricing sticks. I do think they are smart to restrict supply though. That sure helps the used market.
Old     (fic)      Join Date: May 2008       02-12-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
The dealers did well at the boat show here in Chattanooga from what I've heard...
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-12-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
Tom I have heard the same. During the first two weeks of boat shows nationwide, Malibu had something like 81 new boat orders. Skiers choics usually always does well during this time because of incentives.
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-12-2010, 5:09 PM Reply   
Matt, I would believe it too that Malibu got tons of new orders. We were at the plant yesterday watching ours get finalized, and they were just cranking them out and said they had lots of orders come in. Its great to hear new orders are coming in and they are working hard to keep pumping them out...
Old     (geterdone)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-13-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
@Vision,

What leads you to believe that the cost of materials and labor has gone down?? There may be a ton of people unemployed these days, but that doesn't matter in a highly specialized job field like manufacturing. It would take too long to train new people to make it worth while to hire at lower wages. And materials costs have done nothing but rise, pretty consistently, for quite some time now. I'm not saying that I agree with all pricing - $100k for a 24' boat seems a little nuts to me too, but when you start to add the cost of all the components together, it's not like they are making these things out of scrap aluminum here. I'm a Tige' dealer, so can really only speak to the components in these and competitive wake boats.The towers are incredibly expensive. The sound systems are incredibly expensive. The motors are incredibly expensive. Ballast systems are incredibly expensive. 14 layers of fiberglass....etc. Are they asking a premium? Yes. Are they getting a 40% - 50% profit margin? Good god no, nowhere near it. Look at the price of cars and trucks from 1998 to present, same philosophy applies. Manufacturing costs are, unfortunately, NOT going down. Boat builders are left with two choices - produce fewer boats and make less money, or compete with products that cost less to make, like the Axis boats. Not that they are not great boats, it's just that they are held to a different standard. However, in these rough economic times, it seems like price is the only arbiter of value in the consumer's mind, so this type of boat may be the norm for some time to come. We shall see.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-13-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
sorry toby think again I work construction materials have gone down dealer cost on engine and trany is around $5,800 towers are around $1,000 the more you buy the cheaper the price,ballast $1,000 factory stereo $1000 tops just did my system 3 amps bullet speakers light bar,sub and hlcd's for $1800.cables,strut, shaft,rudder and prop less than $2000 and lets not forget the glass at$1400 and the rest gets cheaper so if you were to ask me they are getting at least a 40% mark up.The days of the $75000 and up boats are numbered and if manufactures continue with this pricing there days are numbered also.some of these builders dont even build there own boat they have them built.tige for a while had centurion build there boats and epic is still built at centurion prices will even out in time the ones that hold out will go away forever
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-13-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
I work in the furniture industry and leading up to the summer Olympics a couple years ago the cost of materials were sky rocketing. We were seeing 20-30% increases on the cost of our goods. Then shortly after the Olympics prices on materials started dropping like a rock. Most of our factories were offering lower production costs and the ones that didn't we dropped from our line up.

Material costs have pretty much stayed low over the last two years, but freight prices have jumped. Because of the sluggish economy most major freight lines (Maersk, Hanjin, Hyundai) have been forced to dry dock some of their fleet. This has caused a shortage of space on the vessels and is making it very difficult get goods imported in a timely manner.

Therefore, I would imagine that if boat manufacturers are importing their components the prices may have increased mainly due to freight costs. I really have no idea what the circumstances are with domestic manufacturing, but this is just some food for thought.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       02-13-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
Harold, no way the mark up is at least 40%. You're accounting for no labor costs.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-15-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
I still think there is a larger porpulation of people out there (much larger than the small population of wakelworlders ) that are willing to pay premium prices for luxury items.

When yoru considering purchasing a 50k+ luxury item you shoudln't be thinking about affordabiltiy. It's all excess at that point.

If you cant' afford the prices, dont' buy. there are many budget friendly inboards out there for you.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       02-15-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
Ski and Wakeboard boat sales since 2004:

2004: 11,600
2005 12,600
2006 13,100
2007 12000
2008 8,900
2009 *Estimated 3,200 through Q2

Sources NMMA 2008 Abstract, *trade magazines

The average retail price of a ski wakeboard boat went up $13,000 from 2004 to 2008.