Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (wade2062)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-04-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
Please help. My crew of 16 has decided to cancel our lake Cumberland house boat trip for july. (obvious reasons)I have heard good things about Dale Hollow,can anybody give me any advice? its not a kids trip, and we are looking to turn it up a notch for the week. I have 2 Yamaha skis, and my Malibu so I need to accommodate them. any good houseboat rentals? looking for an over the top boat with all the goodies. Also any other Midwest recommendations for a trip? Coming from Columbus ohio, Thanks for any help!!!!
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-04-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
PM sent.
Old     (wade2062)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-04-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
thanks Team CBK
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-04-2007, 8:22 AM Reply   
Stay in Columbus on July 7th and 8th and go to the second Scioto Wakefest, press release due out at the end of the month.

So that's a crew of 16 your taking some place, right? I assume that you want a house boat experience too. There are lots of options but they’re vastly different. The sate of Ohio resort parks can be good if you don’t need a house boat. However, they don’t connect the lodge to boating at all well. Salt Fork might be the exception providing you reserve an on the water cabin. Cedar Point has a marina and resort hotel lodging, but I’ve never stayed there, plus I don’t think the big lake is really that good for wakeboarding.

Brookeville Lake just across the Ohio/Indiana boarder but is busy on weekends. Kent’s Harbor Marina has some cabins for rent, but a 18 mile lake is going to be small compared to a big TVA lake. One of my favorites in Indiana is Pokagon State Park, again not a house boat lake – more of a family place. The resort has open dock space and a water front with a beach. If you look carefully you can find cannels connecting Lake James to other lakes like Jimmerson, and Snow Lake. They also have cabins and camping at the park. My family books the lodge two years in advance, might be difficult to make a booking for 16.

There are a bunch of really great lake in Kentucky. I don’t think the Cumberland dam repair is supposed to be that bad. Norris Lake in Tennessee should be worth considering. I’m going down to Norris for the first time this April. I’ve been on Lake Laurel, but I don’t recall if they have house boats or not. I went the land between the lakes in Kentucky a few years ago, that’s a pretty long drive for me and there are other closer options that I prefer.

I rented a boat and spent a day on Lake Powel a couple of years ago, that’s not exactly in the Midwest, but wow, that was a great experience, I’d love to drag my boat out there and spend a couple of weeks.
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-04-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
Wade. Holly Creek has some sick boats and they are close to the small island. You can pull up there and run naked if you want...and a lot of us do.
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-04-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
yeah he's got some good places there. I heard you can still boat on Cumberland. We went to the Indy boat show, and the guy at one of the Lake Cumberland booths said they were extended the boat launch ramps dont to water level. it still sucks though. we plan on going to Dale Hollow at the beginning of June. I can't wait.
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-04-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
Ed,
Good to see you're doing wakefest again this year, last year was great.

Wade, We go to Dale hollow every year. We usually get our houseboat from Holly Creek. I think its the bigfoot 2. We usually have 10-12 adults and 3-6 kids. That being said, this year me and my wife and kids are getting a small 38' houseboat from Hendricks creek when the rest of my family gets the Bigfoot 2. If you want more info shoot me a PM.
Old     (nclasen)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-07-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
I take a large group every year to Dale Hollow Houseboating and I've been to most of the bigger marinas for rental. My favorite two locations were Holly Creek and Sulphur Creek. I paid just a little more for the boats at Sulphur, but they were worth it. Not to mention that the location I was boating to was closer from Sulpher so it saved some fuel costs.

If you book out of Sulpher the best place to tie up for great boarding water is Ashburn Creek. You hang a left out of Sulpher and follow the main lake to the right around the lilly dale campground.

Here's a lake map of Dale to help your navigating: http://www.dalehollowlake.com/images/Corps_Lake_Map_04-2004.pdf
Old     (nclasen)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-07-2007, 4:01 PM Reply   
Forgot to include the link to the resort. http://www.sulphurcreek.com/
Old     (cool232)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-07-2007, 5:48 PM Reply   
Wade, before you cancel you may be able to get the boat half price on cumberland. There are going to be alot of empty houseboats this year. Try Sunset marina for a boat, the price is close to the same as the rest but there boats were just redone last year. They are nice. Its at the end of the lake, but it would be easy for you to get to. I second ashburn there are great places to board there. shoot me an email if you have questions.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-07-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
Just a little advice, you can get a better deal on cumberland b/c of the lower lake level. I live on cumberland and it is still 2-3 times larger than dale hollow and will be a little less crowded b/c of the "lower water level scare". Here is some pics after the h20 level droped one from my house and a whole slide series from a plane.
Upload
HERE IS A GOOD LINK
http://static.cnhi.zope.net/flashpromo/somersetkentucky/flashpromo/slideshow/tuttlephotos/JohnTuttle.swf
many of the ramps in the pics have already been extended

(Message edited by supra24ssv on March 07, 2007)
Old     (wade2062)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-07-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the info. the group voted and we are going to norris this year instead. Good luck to all of the cumberland regulars. It kills me to see the lake this way and I cant wait to get back down there. have a good summer.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-07-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
good summer, it is going to be great for us locals, the ohio navy will not be here to ruin all my glass with their tubes, just kidding have fun
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-08-2007, 5:46 AM Reply   
sunset marina.........
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-08-2007, 6:14 AM Reply   
Norris lake looks sweet. Prices are good too. How much farther is it from dale hollow?
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-08-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
supra24ssv,

Those pics are great! What is that in the third picture of the slide show? A pump house for the local water?

(Message edited by mcfatty on March 08, 2007)
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-08-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
it is the h20 supply for the somerset area