Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (johnbowen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-17-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
I'm a slow learning beginner. I've gone wake to wake a few times, can do a 180. i'm getting better, but slowly. Last year i rode on a Substance.

i've ridden a Watson 142 all summer long. That's about it. i love the board. Fast, controllable, soft landings. They say it has a huge amount of pop; but I'm just learning how to "pop", so i'm not able to really judge that. I just started riding it finless. Much more controllable. I would often face plant. Without the fins that has gone way down.

I just bought a Fish 137. I wanted to own it as a second board. Dang, it was pretty different. I'd like to hear others opinions of this board, especially in comparison to the Watson. My only comment at this point is that the Fish was much harder to maintain my hold on my handle. It drags a bunch more through the water. It seems much more "locked" in with all the fins on. Almost too locked. it was hard to slide or spin compared to the watson.

So what do you all think of these boards?

Thanks.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-17-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
Honestly John, I'd suggest you try something in their intermediate line something like the Stance and see how that board rides for you.

You sound to be struggling with both boards and riding something at an intermediate level might give you a different perspective on what you look for in a board.

I'm not saying get rid of either one, keep working on both, work on your fundamentals, progressive edging, body position, handle position, stance; as you develop a sound set of fundamentals you'll gain more edge vs fin control and a greater control and understanding of what you look for in a board.
Old    alanp            08-17-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
i agree youre going to progress much faster on a continious rocker board.
Old     (johnbowen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-18-2006, 5:09 AM Reply   
funny you say that. i have an omega on sale on Ebay right now. Maybe i should just keep it and ride that for awhile. i really like the way the watson feels though.

My biggest problem i'm having now is timing when to stand up when hitting the wake, and gaining the confidence (guts, nuts, etc) to go hard at the wake. I've got the whole progessive edge thing figured out. Intellectually i know what needs to be done (turn in slowly to the wake, gradually get on edge, edge hardest near the wake, stand up tall on ramp, keep rope near waist, etc, etc). Now it's just a matter of getting some muscle memory, timing and guts to bring it all together. I'm not sure switching to another board with make that any easier. I ride probably 3-5 times a week all summer, and plan to go late into the Fall (drysuit). I just need to get my big, uncoordinated body and mind to work together. Do you think changing to a different board would make that happen sooner? I've got a whole summer of experience on my Watson.

Thanks for your help guys.

John