Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-07-2005, 10:03 AM Reply   
A friend who just came back from a trip at Lake Shasta said that the "New" houseboats @ Lake Shasta we no longer able to dump the Grey water into the lake. I.E the hot tub's on the houseboats can no longer dump the dirty hot tub water into the lake and that houseboats would need to either have a grey water tank for the hot tub installed on all older house boats or Not have a hot tub at all.
I dont think is it a big deal, I enjoy the Hot tub's on the housebats it sertanly wouldnt stop me from going. I want to protect the clean water we all enjoy just wondering if any of you have heard the same thing
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-07-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
the houseboat we rented actually pulled the water from the lake and did not have any chemicals in it. I can't see why they wouldn't let you dump that back in the lake. Really no different than jumping in the lake and swimming in it. I figured they were all like that?????
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-07-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
The Grey Water regulation was passed a few years ago but does not go into effect until next year. They are giving the marinas time to figure out what they are going to do with the grey water they pump out of houseboats. As of yet, I still don't think the marinas are ready. Right now, you are not allowed to do dishes in the marinas because they found higher concentrations of grey water in the lake in areas around the docks.

For more info see:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/shastatrinity/faq/gray-water/letter.shtml
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-07-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
I agree with Diggs. We have rented a few boats with hot tubs and the different manufacturers and lakes have had different methods for handling water. The boats at Don Pedro have tanks for the greywater. Anytime you empty or fill the tub it comes from the same tank. When you move the boat you have to drain the tub. Only problem was the water got kinda funky since they dont actually change it all the time (we brought our boat in to have the water changed). They actually chlorintate the water and run it through a filter like a home tub.

The boats at Melones used fresh water from the lake. I kinda like that deal better. Filled from the lake and drained back in. No chemicals needed. Only issue is to make sure you fill the tub before you get into shore so you don't suck up dirt and funk.

Whatever, that seems like a lame deal. I think the bigger problem at Shasta is with the old boats that dump shower water straight back into the lake. Wouldn't be a problem if people would use the Bio-degrageable soap, but I think most people are too lazy.
Old    justsomeguy            09-07-2005, 11:10 AM Reply   
Another way hot tubs are handled is to have a closed system using traditional chlorine and a storage tank in the hull.

The water doesn't get funky but you do have to drain the tub into the holding tank when under way.

(Message edited by justsomeguy on September 07, 2005)