Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old    db69            03-02-2005, 9:02 PM Reply   
Wondering if ones harder to get that the other, looking to pay cash for one and a loan for the other???
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-02-2005, 9:24 PM Reply   
Boat loan is harder to get. Better rates for automobiles also.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-03-2005, 6:35 AM Reply   
boat loans are much longer term - 15 years vs 7 for cars....

i dont think 5.5%-5.65% is bad for a 15 year fixed interest loan...
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-03-2005, 7:11 AM Reply   
What Peter said:

Boat is generally longer term and higher rate. My preference would be to pay off the higher interest boat and finance the truck. Financing the boat instead would make sense if you need or want a lower payment, due to longer term, to keep more free cash available.

Here are the current rates at my bank:

New Vehicle variable - 4.19% - 6 Years
New Vehicle ($25,000 +) variable - 4.75% - 7 Years
New Vehicle fixed - 4.99% - 5 Years
New Vehicle fixed - 5.19% - 6 Years
New Vehicle ($25,000 +) fixed - 6.15% - 7 Years
Used Vehicle variable - 3.99% - 5 Years
Used Vehicle fixed - 4.99% - 5 Years
New or Used RV variable - 4.5% - 12 Years
New or Used RV fixed - 5.5% - 10 Years
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-03-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
You guys are correct about rates and stuff. We had a truck payment (6-years starting at $35K) and added a 7-year used boat loan ($25K). We thought about adding the boat into a refi we were working, but for some reason (besides just the term of the loan) it just seemed right to get a boat loan.

Now they're both at about $20K. Question's become which to pay early. From a liquidity standpoint, it'd be smarter to payoff truck. From a tax standpoint (wife uses truck in business), it'd be better to pay off the boat.

Just depends on what your situation's like.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-04-2005, 6:18 AM Reply   
I personally think,pay your truck off because the payments are higher because of the shorter term and in 15 years that money won't be worth what it is today.

just my 2 cents

Big Ed
Old     (air_dooley)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-05-2005, 12:10 AM Reply   
exactly big ed, right on, you do your homework!
Old     (ramwasuprassv)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-05-2005, 5:20 AM Reply   
Derek was on the right track IMO, one way to do it is if you have equity in your home, get a 2nd mortgage or refinance your mortgage and pay for the boat, and possibly even the truck. (if your getting tax advantages using the truck for your business, you should keep it that way) So far interest is still tax deductible on mortgage loans. Don't forget about credit unions too. I got a loan at a local credit union for 3.99% on a 2004 Supra for 12 years and all I had to do was open a savings account with $25.00 It all depends on your credit rating too, you can help yourself tremendously if you find out what your rating is and clean up any outstanding accounts, used or unused. I'm not a financial guru or anything, but just giving some ideas to think about.
Good luck, hope you get the boat!
Jon
Old    db69            03-07-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
I pretty much tink I'm going to pay cash for a truck and then a boat loan with the rest....

Thanks for the input all!!
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-07-2005, 10:44 PM Reply   
If you get 2nd on house that you have cash in be aware your appraisel will make your property taxes go up which will cost you some monthly $.