Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (saskrider)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-29-2012, 9:05 PM Reply   
Just started surfing this year when we bought our boat (08 MC X-15). We can get a pretty decent wake out of it, especially for beginners. My question is to do with our board. We have an O'brien Nalu 5'4". I am 6'2" and weigh about 230lbs on a good day haha. The board seems pretty good but I don't know if it is right for me, or if its just my skill level. I have been trying to do airs/ollie but I cant seem to get enough speed, or am not timing it right or something. Also doing 360 spins, I can get around but fall out of the wave, or get back in the wave and don't have enough push from the wave to get me back. Is this my skill, the board, the wave or a combination of one or all.

I hope I explained everything enough to give you guys an idea and maybe give me some tips

As far as other board shapes, I don't know what I should look at for my size/skill so any info on that would be appreciated also
Old     (vman)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-30-2012, 9:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskrider View Post
Is this my skill, the board, the wave or a combination of one or all.
Yes. But it would help if you post your setup. To include ballast amount and position, speed, trim setting, etc. Also, a video or some pics would allow for better feedback.
Old     (Joehekler)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-30-2012, 10:07 PM Reply   
You should PM James Harold. That guy knows everything. He's all muscle too.
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-31-2012, 8:39 AM Reply   
Well I won't comment on the wave, but I will say that I am about the same size as you and that board is definately holding you back. I had Jeff at Soulcraft make me a custom board last year and it has helped me take my riding to another level. I would highly recommend him.

As far as an off-the-shelf board, look at the Inland Surfer Swallow for your size.

The smaller the wave, the bigger board you'll need but that she be a good start