Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-21-2006, 9:44 PM Reply   
I just bought a 2004 Bu 23 LSV. I have a few questions (I want to ask these question on themalibucrew.com, but haven't received posting privileges yet):

1. I would like to find some sort of "quick-drain" system for draining the water out of the engine block. I live in Nevada and it will occasionally get down to a little below the freezing mark, but I still plan on hitting the lake year-round. I will be storing the boat on the trailer in an enclosed storage unit, but I may not have electrical hookups to run a light to the engine compartment to keep it warm inside. If there was some sort of system I could install that would allow me to quickly drain the block after each trip, I would feel safer throughout the winter.

2. I have seen a carpet insert, almost like a floor mat for boats, in another Malibu. I think it was called a "carpet saver". It basically covered the entire floor of the boat. Anyone know what these cost? Can the local dealer could order one for me?

3. My Illusion X tower only has one spot on each side for a wakeboard rack. There are 2 other areas to attach speakers on the inside of each tower leg, but just the one spot on the outside of each tower leg for a rack. I would like to eventually put both of my wakeboard racks on one side and then add an airchair rack on the other side. Is this possible? If not, where else could I put an airchair rack?

4. I still have to add Perfect Pass, which will replace the right-side gauge on the instrument panel. The boat also does not have a depth finder. I see other 2004 LSV's advertised with depth finders; where are they mounted? Could one be added in and the display be worked into the LCD display in the center gauge?

Here are some pics to see the tower and dash:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-21-2006, 11:18 PM Reply   
Wow! Beautiful boat. I'm not a Bu' owner so I can't help you but the more I think your boat looks incredible. Great colors!!!
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-22-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
1. Install some petcocks where you are wanting to drain the water.

2. I haven't seen any floor mat type of a thing. I would guess that it was a special order type of a thing. If you do figure it out please repost with the information about where you got it. My guess is they had it made in the local area.

3. Call wakeside.com and ask them about the rack system you want. You could also get the binimi rack system that malibu as. It's super cool but expensive.

4. My 04 VLX has the depth gauge built into the center gauge. It also has the time, hours, air/water temp and something else I can't remember. That is where it would go. I had to get one added to my boat when I purchased it so my guess is that it just has to be installed and set up to get the depth finder.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-22-2006, 7:46 AM Reply   
Don't know where to get it from directly, but here you go.

Ebay
Old     (romi)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-22-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
1: I have never looked... I would assume there is drain plugs on the block.

2: http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Malibu-Boat-Carpet-Saver-%20Insert_W0QQitemZ290031652606QQihZ019QQcategoryZ 15272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3: I have a titan tower... I think that 04 models only have room for one rack per side.

4: My death finder is a part of the scroll in the LCD. Connect your local dealer to see if you can one.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-22-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
Romi answered all of your questions, but I'll expand on them for everyone else.

1. These engines are about as easy as they possibly can be to drain. You could add a single valve to aid in the process, but you'll be leaving some water behind. Read your owners manual or talk with your dealer about how to drain the block, the only tools you'll need are a screw driver and cresent wrench (which should be in the boat anyway), and it takes about five minutes.

2. What you're looking for is Malibu's Carpet Saver option. They offer it for all of their v-drives and most of their direct drives.

3. The second mounting point for board racks was added in 2005. Sorry!

4. You just need to add the depth finder module to your boat. It consists of the brain that plugs into the MMDC behind the dash, and the transucer that is located in the bilge. Again, contact your dealer for more information.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jason
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-22-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
the dealer should have the carpet savers ... was an option on my 06 vlx $375 gl w/ the rest ;)
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-22-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
Later model 04s had the second mounting place for racks. Judging from your pictures you have an earlier model tower. Our 04 Vlx with the Illusion X did not have the spot for second racks, but we had of the very early Illusion X towers. After a warranty replacement the second tower had the racks but that is late summer of 04.
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-22-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for the great info, and the ebay link. I called the dealer and asked them about the depth finder and about ordering PP and the bimini extension; they are checking into details and I should hear back from them tomorrow. Glad to know the drainage is easy; I'll have to bust out the owners manual!

Will I be able to mount an airchair rack to one of the tower legs if I remove one of the wakeboard racks?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-23-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
Sam
I have wondered the same thing about the air chair...although I don't have one yet

here is a pic from a Texas guy that has a mount on his illusion x tower

http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=323
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-23-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
oops
maybe he isn't from Texas, but there is another boat that we see on the Brazos all the time that has a similar set-up
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-25-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
sam

in the 3 years i have had our boat we havent had a need to drain it and it is in an enclosed storage as well, but if it is easy to do and it eases your mind then go for it

i think everyone else already told you what you wanted to know
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-26-2006, 2:56 AM Reply   
Cliff-
Thanks for that link. Nice to see that it can be done.

Jon-
Thanks for the info. I figured it would probably be OK here, but if it really is easy to drain the block, I will probably do it anyway. I just saw your post on "the other forum". I need to get out soon; I haven't even really had the boat out for real yet. I'll PM you my phone #, I've got family coming into town this week and they'll be here for a week, but I would love to ride with some other locals sometime.