Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-13-2006, 3:44 PM Reply   
I attended the Atlanta Boat Show on Wednesday and Thursday of this week and enjoyed seeing all the new boats. HOWEVER after visiting the Supra/Moomba Dealer ATLANTA MARINE on the seconded day I was promptly asked to please not distract the sale people with my questions. Seems I spent more to much time seeing the new skiers choice boats in THEIR opinion. Well I was going to buy a 2006 Supra 22SSV from them because they helped me with some warranty work on my 2005 XLV that I bought out of state. Well I guess they figure whats one sale?? Well I want to say that I will never buy another thing from them and I will always recommend anyone other than them for boat info. Pissing on the little guys is never a smart business move.

Signed; VERY DISAPPOINTED

PS.CC Rick Tinker (Skiers Choice)}
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-13-2006, 5:15 PM Reply   
wow, that would be really disappointing

i'd feel the same way

maybe they can m$ke it up to you ;)
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-13-2006, 5:21 PM Reply   
yea, well that sucks for them, i guess they just lost a decent amount of cash!!!
props to you, dont buy the boat from them, get it from someone who cares about you
obviously u dont mean enough to them, so they shouldnt mean anything to you!
lol
Old     (muffintop)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-13-2006, 5:23 PM Reply   
Maybe the sales guys make no commissions. That's why the boats are so cheap, but such high quality. They have to save the 10k somewhere.
Old    74skier            01-13-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
I would say they missed that memo on what goes on at a boat show. Isn't the purpose of a boat show to look at the new boats and ask questions so you can make an informed purchase? If you spent that much time there I guess they didn't put 2 and 2 together and figure out that you were interested in buying. Don't buy from them. You won't ever be happy with them no matter what they do for you.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-13-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
So was it the manager/owner of Atlanta Marine that asked you to leave his sales staff alone, or just one of the salespeople? You never hear much about AM in the Atlanta area, only the CC, MC, and BU dealers....guess I know why now!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-13-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
Another inflammatory post by someone with no data in their profile???

Do us all a favor and head over to the "other" site. They're much more willing to engage in s##t talking with someone of your maturity.

Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-13-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
Don't know why you would call it someone being immature? The fact at hand must be looked at and solved....now I don't personally think bashing on here would be the most effective thing to do, nor calling on the skier's choice rep.

Maybe a phone call could have gone a long ways and getting the complaint about the dealer logged. On here it's just spreading gossip and nothing is going to be done about it.

Being a Skier's choice owner and your thinking about buying a new boat, I am sure skier's choice will more than likely be there to help you.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-13-2006, 6:34 PM Reply   
Cliff back off man. If you don't like his post don't read it! If that happened to me I would be posting too. Thats mest up! And if you think about it your S##t talking too.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-13-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   

quote:

on here it's just spreading gossip and nothing is going to be done about it.

I disagree,most dealers don't want their name bashed so they go the extra mile and stuff get done right away when you post your problems.

HOWEVER,

quote:

Another inflammatory post by someone with no data in their profile???

I agree with Cliff!
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       01-13-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
Zach,

I will be at the Atlanta show all day Saturday and most of the day Sunday. I would be glad to show our product. Hope you can make it back. I apologize for your mistreatment and hope to see you there.

Rick
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-13-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
Zach, I think I would go meet Rick Saturday.. I did 3-4 years ago now im on my 3rd Supra.........
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-13-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
Wow, now that's stepping up to the plate for you! The President showing you the boat, what more could you ask for from a company. Nice Rick, really says a lot! I'm a Nautique owner, but would consider buying a Supra after that!
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-13-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
I think I have to go with Cliff and Big Ed on this one. I find it funny that a person that signed on Nov of last year only has 10 posts. Now he is going to bash a boat dealer. I would be curious to see what else he used his other 9 posts for.

If your post is true I am sorry but it just looks a little fishy to me.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-13-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
Not sure I get your point Tate. I signed up in 7/2004 and only have 40 posts, so does that make me less credible? Some people just like to come on and read and don't feel the need to post that often. My $.02
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       01-13-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
Zach is legit, a new member to wakeworld. I have a friend who has corresponded with him in the past.

From what I read he feels a lack of respect which is a growing concern for many younger boat purchasers who are going into debt to purchase their first real toy. 50K should buy a little respect and more importantly a good boat. So after spending much time researching and stressing over the purchase decision a person is entitled to have a little patience thrown their way especially at a boat show. Maybe dealers only see this:

time=money

maybe they should consider the TIME part first
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-13-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
Michael,
I understand what you are saying. I just find it funny, as do others, that people with little or no time on this site come on here just to bash people. If you are here to read and not post much, more power to you. I was just saying it will look suspect if the only time you post it is to bash. That is not what this forum is about.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-13-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
Tate, I agree with you 100%
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-14-2006, 12:45 AM Reply   
Atlanta has a great dealership with a great reputation and I have a hard time believeing that ANY dealership in the country would ask such a question. I would approach that person and ask what exactly he/she meant.May I ask why you bought out of state?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-14-2006, 1:15 AM Reply   

quote:

Do us all a favor and head over to the "other" site. They're much more willing to engage in s##t talking with someone of your maturity.

lame....you talk s##t here, too, and a member of the other site as well.

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5768

quote:

I find it funny that a person that signed on Nov of last year only has 10 posts. Now he is going to bash a boat dealer. I would be curious to see what else he used his other 9 posts for.

here you go.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/277102.html?1136904776
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/274240.html?1135835815
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/273986.html?1135788677
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/271596.html?1135208112
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/268196.html?1133221631
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/266539.html?1132264699
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/266229.html?1132035240
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-14-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
I bought my boat from ATL Marine, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one there, nor would I seriously consider going anywhere else. Kurt and Lisa are awesome people and STILL give me outrageous deals on equipment five years after I bought my boat. I see more Supras on the lake than any other brand around here. Their service dept. is great, they got Tony back, he is a great boat mechanic.

That is some real info about ATL Marine. They are one of Supras top dealers in the country. There is a reason for that.

If you got blown off by someone there, I'm sure there was a reason for that too, maybe you were being a jerk?

Old     (ewater)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-14-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
Why do you need the data fields in everyone's profiles filled out? Did you want to ask him on a date? Does the number of posts you add make your posts more important?
Zach: I have to wonder what you said/did while you were there. How many hours were you at their booth?
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-14-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
Thanks to all who see my Vent for what it is. True, I am new to the Wakeworld and FYI I fly for a living and don't carry a computer with me on the road so posting is less important to me. In addition I fail to understand what my bio has to do with anything not that I feel I have to explain myself. The meat of the story is I have spent nearly 50 thou on a boat and I don't feel I need special treatment I just enjoy the sport/boat and don't understand what the fuss is about talking about the boats, after all this site has that very thought in mind and does a good job. I have no other reason for my vent other than I felt disrespected in a PUBLIC boatshow for looking at AM boats and asking questions.
Again Thank to all who very much understand this thread.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-14-2006, 7:42 AM Reply   
You're right, it doesn't.

Go check out their boats again with Rick and make sure he is showing it to you right in front of the person that told you to leave.
Old     (ewater)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-14-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
Zach, are going back to see Rick at the show?
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-14-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
With the attitude of some of the members on this site its a wonder there are any "new members".

1. I don't think his opinions are any less credible than someone who has posted 10,000 times. Ever hear the phrase "long time listener, first time caller". Some people do not have the time or inclination to reply to every thread... however they may read every thread.
2. His voice was heard and answered by someone who made/can make a difference. I call that customer service. If there is a problem with a product or service i sell i want to hear about it. If i don't know about it i can't fix it.
3. Dealer relations are a very big deal. You want to feel comfortable with the people you are spending your hard earned dollars with. People will buy from people they like! Plus think about the service of the boat and the other after-the-sale aspects.
4. The boat show is a showcase designed to sell boats, a prospective buyer has every right to "hang around" the booth as long as he wants (he paid the fee to get in) assuming he is not being disruptive to other potential buyers. With so many boats manufacturers building high quality boats these days i feel most consumers want to be educated on what they are buying. If he wants to spend HIS time at the booth looking, pondering, wondering whether or not to trade to an 06 vs his 05 (different boat) that is HIS decision. That is a $50k+ decision he is trying to make. I am sure all the boat dealers like the consumer that walks down the aisles, sees a boat they like for some reason (brand, color, tower, fit, finish) and asks for a credit app within 5 minutes. I am confident that happens however that is the exception not the rule. I believe most people have done some homework beforehand.

(Message edited by biz on January 14, 2006)
Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-14-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
Like TR said, "The boat show is a showcase designed to sell boats". I've helped out at a few boat shows and you are there to sell boats. as a salesman, you need to decide pretty quickly if the person in front of you is really serious about buying a boat at that show. if they are not, you really shouldn't be spending time talking boats to someone who just happens to have a boat and loves boating.
"The meat of the story is I have spent nearly 50 thou on a boat and I don't feel I need special treatment I just enjoy the sport/boat and don't understand what the fuss is about talking about the boats'
I just hope you didn't confuse someone who was disrespecting you for no reason, with someone who was trying to make a living by selling boats to serious buyers who wanted to answer questions from people who really needed the information to determine if they were going}} to buy a boat from this person.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-14-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
that is complete BS to be treated that way at a boat show, and if it had happened to me you can bet you'd see a bash thread on here.

i see both sides of the newbie issue, and i've seen several trolls outed on this site over the years. i think the Malibu basher guy was the most recent. if you're legit, so what if your first post is to bash a dealer? maybe that's the first thing that got you worked up enough to post. i knnow it would me.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-14-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
How is you hygiene?
Old     (ewater)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-14-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
First off Zach I'm not saying you did any of this. Suppose someone was playing boat salesman and talking other customers in and out of boats in an effort to demonstrate their knowledge in boats. Suppose someone was following around a salesperson, as they were showing another customer through boats, and asking questions constantly. Suppose someone was bargaining unreasonably and continued to hound the salesman as other prospective buyers walked away. I have a hard time believing that any boat salesman (or any reasonable person) would act like that to you unless there is something not being told. If I'm wrong then you have every right to be upset.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-14-2006, 11:12 AM Reply   
GD,

Hilarious!

I simply would have explained the situation and not let the sales guy 'run me off'. Most people don't have effective communication.
No sales guy in his right mind would run off a sale, what part of the story are we missing?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-14-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
When I was buying my boat in 2004,the Natique guy didn't run me off but was not interested in answering my questions too much b\c I probably looked like I couldn't afford one.(too young or too whatever)

On the other hand California Skier in Elsinore was a completely different story plus I thought MC was nicer anyway so it was a easy decision for me.

I believe there is dealers and salesman that just find time for everybody or is nice enough for the customer to realize that he is really busy.

no need to run anybody off much less a potential buyer.
Just my .02
Old    boardman74            01-14-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
I too have had a problem with Atlanta marine. I'm not sure if it would be huge in most peoples opinion, but it made me not buy from them. In 2001 while I was in the Air Force I was staioned in Georgia. I had been talking with AM about a hold over Mobuis V they had. It had the standard 310 engine and they were willing to swap engines to sell the boat. In the process a 2000 Supra launch (another boat I expressed interest in prior) was being traded in. My sales man proptly called me and told me about it and we quickly agreed to price. I was not able to get back to the dealer for a week so he suggested I make a deposit to hold the boat. It wasn't even to the shop yet so time wasn't a big deal he said. I made a $1000 deposit by credit card and was super excited. I already had financing and was ready to buy. I was told I could have my deposit back if for some reason the boat wasn't in the condition I wanted. 5 days later I drove to the dealer and my salesman wasn't around. Neither was the boat, since it had already been sold and delivered. I made a big stink and was told if i didn't want to do buisness there then fine. They refunded my deposit and the salesman never even called to apologize. Maybe I don't have enough posts to be believeable or my profile is wrong so take it as you will. I just had read enough of this to not chime in.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-14-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
I hope that you had an opportunity to meet and great the NEW MasterCraft Dealer in Atlanta, Central WaterSports with Johnny Crowe. Real Class act. Heard they have taken quite a few contracts at that show. I heard that ZS was going to be there along with some of MasterCraft's Corp Staff. Very knowledgable group there. Enjoy the show. Wish I could attend that one to see the differences and hear the latest sales pitch.
Old     (ewater)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-14-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
Todd, I would be steaming if I were you. Hopefully Rick will look into that.
TJK... chopper gun am I right?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-14-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
no offense cliff or big ed, but i think it's bs about the whole post count and profile thing. who gives a sh_t, this is a public forum. it's lame to think that post count or profile pictures has anything to do with someone being credible or deserving of respect from others on this board. that's lame. i tried to keep my mouth shut, but sorry, i just think that's a little weak.

(Message edited by brucemac on January 14, 2006)
Old    kvanderg            01-14-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
It's been a while since I have chucked in my $0.02 CDN...

This is probably a case of the truth lies somewhere in the middle... I am sure the dealer could have been a little more patient... but I am sure there was something that set him off as well.

I have been treated, both very good and very bad by dealers and have openly commented on both on WW. Try and get some some +ve in there with the -ve.

Everyone falls down every once in a while... I had a post gone bad a while back... just be man enough to admit when you are wrong and try not to jump on people if their posting style doesn't match your own... that or send them a PM to show them the error of their ways.
Old     (05ride)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-14-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
I agree with you TR

On another forum I read that with posts you build credibility, if only the people that believe this read some of their own posts they would realise they aren't as credible as they believe. They also believe that with the higher the posts the more they own they forum

Yes I read the forums, I have opinions, I just don't post them to build my posts,

I can understand what Zach is saying although I didn't get asked to go away, I couldn't get the dealer to even bother talking to me, funny thing is I know he complains about another brand selling more boats, I know why I bought this brand & not his. PR goes along way as well as having a superior product.(another boat show else where in the world))
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-14-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
I bought both of my boats at boat shows. Each time I went to the show on the first weekend and then back to the show on a another day. On the first day I cased out boats that I was interested in. After the first visit I called boat dealers with boats that I wanted to see. I arranged a date and time to see the dealers and both times the dealers arranged to have tickets waiting for me when I arrived. I had the dealer’s full attention when I arrived to have a serious discussion. I bet that if told the boat dealers on the first day that I intended to buy I also would have had all the attention that I needed.
Old     (romi)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-14-2006, 7:13 PM Reply   
That does suck. If a potential customer is bothering your salesman and preventing him from finding other customers, then you don't have enough salesman.

BIG ED... Mike at CS is awesome. If I were to buy a MC it would be him and no one else.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-15-2006, 2:38 AM Reply   
Well, I went to the ATL show and saw the ATL Marine display. They were more than ready to sell me a boat and I talked for at least 20 min with Rick Tinker. They are the #1 Skiers choice dealer this year, BTW. I think they trade it with Ski Boats of Dallas every year.

At the Malibu booth, I walked up to a salesman and pointed to a VLX with the Blade tower and said "I want to buy that boat" He chuckled and walked away. I think they just get so many tire kickers that unless you really get their attention they assume you are just BS'n. I wasn't, I had the wife there and the checkbook, etc. but I decided I can wait a year or two.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-15-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
I’m with Cliff, in my opinion posts or time buy you credibility or at least respect. Also talking with different people over time lets you get to know them. Posting SOME kind of profile lets you get to know them. For all we know he could be 16. If he isn’t, then why not fill in part of the profile. We definitely aren’t hearing the whole story. Sorry but all too many people have come on here with an agenda to bash someone or someone’s product and if I don’t know you I’m going to be very skeptical of what your saying without some very detailed explanation. Oh and this makes me curious, not that I'm all proper "I spent more to much time""on the seconded day "
My suggestion-stick around a while and let us get to know you then your word will hold more weight. I have been here a while and just know by a persons name if its been someone I’ve had conversations with and just bought some snowboard bindings because I did a search and saw that someone I recognized bought the same brand. "Thane"
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-15-2006, 7:23 AM Reply   
I do not beleive this is a public Forum its not owned by the people its a private forum open to the public as are most Forums .For this Forum to be public it would need to be owned by a city - county or state . If you to refer to its user base as public meaning open to all you would be correct.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-15-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
Romi,I told them and I'm telling the world now....MY NEXT MC IS COMING FROM CALIFORNIA SKIER.

BEST SALESMEN,BEST SERVICE PERIOD
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-15-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Bob- What would being 16 have to do with someone's credibility?
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-15-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
One vote here for public forum.

Post count does not = credibility. A few on this site with the most posts are the bigest whiney biatchs the site has.

Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-15-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
It's not the quantity of posts, rather the quality of posts that people should look at if your are going to judge someone soley in this arena.

Typicaly, when there are issues such as what is being discussed in this thread there are 3 sides to the story. Zach's side, the salesperson's side, then somewhere in the middle is what really happened. Unfortunately, the treatment he received is a subjective thing. What is offensive to me might be ok with someone else. Perhaps what Zach could have done is asked to speak with a manager,supervisor or just try to resolve the issue after the show. In his opinion he was mistreated and felt compelled to share his treatment with this forum. I certainly don't consider it bashing, but making potential buyers aware that there could be some issues with this particular dealer. Being adults you should be able to keep an open mind if you want to deal with this dealership.

Zach, I hope you are able to resolve the issue so you can make an educated purchase based on the quaility of the product not just the treatment from one sales guy. I understand that having that comfortable feeling with you dealer goes along way in making a decision of what and where to buy. It's exactly the reason I am buying from the dealer I am. Good luck and I'm sure you will have a great time with your new boat regardless of brand.

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-15-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
if post count is how one is judged in here, then i'm the most credible guy on wakeworld!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-15-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
And Joe some people in these forums sure give you credibility.

I wouldn't see any other reason why....

j/k
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-15-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
saw that one comin'.
Old     (ewater)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-15-2006, 2:40 PM Reply   
Man Joe, you deserve something for your posts. Unfortunately I'm going to have to dock you on the fact you didn't give a straight answer in the boat field in your profile. That and I don't believe the picture in your profile is really you. All your credibility is gone.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-15-2006, 4:35 PM Reply   
If you walk in my place (business, house, car, plane, etc)and Ive never seen you before I AM going to look at you different then someone who walks in I KNOW. Thats a fact and anyone who denies it is just plain lying. You do get to know people, even in a forum like WW so dont walk in here after a full 10 posts and expect the same credibility as someone Ive been speaking with for the last 5 years. Oh yea 16 has all the world to do with posting on a forum that deals with boats in the $45k-$50k price range(the ones aformentioned above at the boat show). NO 16yr old will EVER afford one on his or her OWN EARNED money, I'm not talking daddys money for a spoiled brat. I am in no way saying their opinion is not valid just that age does need to be taken into account. AGE = EXPERIENCE + KNOWLEDGE
Now that being said there are some posters on here that sure know how to ruffle feathers and stir the pot. I'll tell you how I feel straight up.

Im not going to get into all the details on what might have happened but one scenario is a 16 yr old hounding a salesman for 3 hours while he is trying to talk with perspective buyers he feels are worth more financially then a teen?? This is just a hypothosis and why I pointed out certain things I fealt I needed more clarification before I make judgement on anyone, including Zach. No offense intended to any 16 yr old know it alls or the ones that realize they dont know it all (like me @37).
Old     (3205lpv)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-15-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
I want to say that I agree with bob about a 16 year old hounding a sales person when they can not afford the boat. However, I am a 16 year old and I saved up my money, along with my brother and boat a 1985 supra sunsport. Now it was not 50,000 dollars, actually far from it at 6,000. I hate it when I go to a dealership to get parts or something for my boat and they do not give me the time of day because I am sixteen.
Old    iwakeonwater            01-15-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
I dont have a lot of post on here either but since I once worked for the largest dealer in the world I will say that gives me pleanty of credibility. We have all wasted too much time on the subject. Rule #1 says the customer is always right. Rule#2 says the sales person can always walk away or use the kids questions in his presentation. Rule#3 says that this dealer probably made the post and got all kinds of free press by having his name mentioned and last but not least, my personal rule#4 is that if the kid doesn't have money, the mom or dad that brought him probably does.

I love to have people climb on my boats, it creates attention.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-16-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
That is very unfortunate Patrick as the world aint fair and you just remember who they are when you can afford a new boat, paybacks are a biatch. Guess what Mark who only has 6 posts and 1 month Time on WW, we get to talk about stuff for as long as we want
Old     (outbackls)      Join Date: May 2004       01-16-2006, 10:31 AM Reply   
Zach,
Did you ever make it back to the show to speak to R. Tinker? Rick was in Detroit last year and helped us close the deal on our second Moomba. Great guy, I hope you made it back.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-16-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
#1 No profile info. (first indicator)

#2 Very few posts (second indicator)

#3 Started right in bashing (third indicator)

#4 In the five years I've been posting on hear it's the same thing every year. In January, during the boat shows, new posters come out of nowhere with major issues towards specific manufactures.

I was clearly wrong in this instance, and I apologize to Zach for that. One thing I will say though, it's not too often that these guys turn out to be legitimate posters, and this post certainly fit the profile of Cheesy sales person trying to start s##t.

Joe,

See how I did that? I was wrong and I apologized. Try it sometime, you may find it rewarding.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-16-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
In this case Cliff was mistaken about Zach but I say shoot first and ask questons later. LOL I feel Cliff in what he was posting about. Lets this be a warning to all of you better have your profile filled out with your mothers maden name date of birth and SS# and 3 refferance's in your profile or your gonna be hauled out and drug threw the fire. LOL
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-16-2006, 2:35 PM Reply   
I have three ww references, but do they have to be good references?

Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-16-2006, 2:39 PM Reply   
You have more than 3 but I don't think any are reputable.
Old     (jamesb)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-16-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
I can imagine at a boat show if the salesman are absolutely flat out with potential customers, they would have relied on their first impression to decide whether "it was worth their while" helping you out then and there. They probably could of handled the situation a lot more tactfully by asking him to come back in 20 minutes when they had time to devote to his questions.

First impressions on a salesman by you greatly determines how they initially deal with you. When I was 21 and looking at buying a car, me and my friend (who was also looking for a car) walked through 10 car lots in normal weekend atire (boardshorts and t-shirts) without one salesman approaching us, when we approached them, we would find they would do their best to get rid of us by telling us that they didn't have the types of cars we were looking for (which was true but had some similar ones that we probably would have been satisfied with). Went back the next day wearing my suit direct from work and the same guys would not let me leave the lot without buying a car off them. If they didn't have a car that I liked they would try to take my number and details so that they could call me as soon as they did.

Zach, I am not saying that you were hassling the guys, more to the point that based on first impressions of you, they probably thought you were a tyre kicker and given the demands and importance of a boat show decided to use their time with other people (which was obviously the wrong one for them). I wouldn't get down on the dealership, I would tell them up front your intentions and get them to decide on how they treat you. If they are still going to rude, then flame away.

Getting into the short term member and low posts, I understand people's apprehension, but I would give the guy a chance to explain himself before attacking. There are a couple of forums that I post on, but I make a point of only posting when I think I have something constructive to add or have a question about something that I would like to get a varied amount of opinions about.

There are another couple of forums that I am not members of that I read on a regular basis for the last couple of years. Don't mistake post numbers as someones value
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-16-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
cliff, again...lame.

nice post, james.
Old    cjcrider            01-16-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
You know...I used to work in a dealership and let me tell you....sometimes you just get "that guy" coming in and wasting your time with no intent to buy. AFter working in a dealer for a while, you can almost get a 6th sense for this. Now I'm not saying that Zach isn't a serious buyer, but he obviously gave off some vibe that made the dealer feel that he wasn't serious. Boat shows are only 4 days long (usually) and you pay an a**hole and a leg just to be there. No dealer would EVER turn away someone who is serious....so I am inclined to believe that Zach did SOMETHING wrong, though I don't know what.

I do know that you can push your limits at a dealer. I remember people coming in and asking me really stupid questions about meaningless they read on websites like this. 90% of it was never true and it was annoying as hell. Sometimes people want their dealer to share their passion and be able to talk for hours about details, but remember that these people do this for a living and have to make a dollar at the end of the day....and talking about meaningless details to a non-buyer for hours doesn't pay the bills.

Again, not saying that Zach isn't a real buyer....I'm sure he is a stand up guy. However, these are my thoughts as I read this post and want everyone to know that there is another side to this...
Old    justsomeguy            01-16-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
NEWSFLASH:

When you work in retail dealing with "looky Lous" is part of your lot in life.

If you don't like it, find another job where you won't face such utterly devastating challenges (yes, that was sarcasm).
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-16-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
lol, good point
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-16-2006, 8:13 PM Reply   
My $0.02. Customer service starts when the customer walks in. When I was looking at buying a boat, I checked out just about every dealer in the area 1) because I was looking to buy a new boat, and 2) because I just like looking at boats in general. Some dealers wouldn't give me the time of day. Even made it clear I was looking to purchase a new V210. Ended up buying a used V210, but won't hesitate to have it serviced at the dealer who gave me the best customer service when I was looking at a new boat. Even bought my new wakeboard package from that dealer's pro shop. Point is, you never know who is going to drop some serious cash at your shop at any given time.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       01-18-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
So.....the guys that post hundreds of "that boat's ugly", and "I'm better than you" threads carry all the weight here?

Brian
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       01-18-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
Better
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       01-18-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
up
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       01-18-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
My #'s

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-18-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
Any follow-up...??? Zach, were you able to meet with Rick by chance?

Though not a Supra owner, I have always been very impressed with their standing up and addressing issues as they appear here. That alone will add Supra to my short list if/when I purchase another inboard.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-18-2006, 10:58 AM Reply   
Brian, very clever... You have a great point, Quantity does not equate to quality.
Ryan, you are on target. You never know who the customer is! I was at a Boat dealership about 6 months ago and a very hot looking MILF walked in, not your typical wakeboard boat buyer (if there is a typical wakeboard boat buyer). She stopped by to drop off a $10k deposit (check) on a boat. So the point is do not underestimate your potential customer... Every salesperson should know that every single person that approaches them is a potential customer at one point or another. That 16 year old kid could be your $60k customer in 5 years! OR... he could be your customer today, his parents may be loaded.
Old    00wakesetter            01-18-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
It seems that most pepole that have worked at a dealership have the same attitude. TR said it right you never know....... I have had the same thing happen to me when i have walked in dealerships (not only boat dealers) the salesmen think they have it figured out as soon as you walk in the door. hahahahaha
If you truly feel ofended do not go back, buy a different boat.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-20-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
It all sounds so easy but we dont know the specific circumstances from the "Said" salesmans side of the story, do we? It would seem as simple as just "Every salesperson should know that every single person that approaches them is a potential customer" but when the salesperson needs to pay the bills and other customers are standing around patiently waiting to talk to a salesperson.....Oh and like I said earlier "Life Aint Fair"
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-20-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
Zach - you out there???? what was the result, did you go back or not???? inquiring minds want to know if there is a new ending to the story.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-20-2006, 4:00 PM Reply   
No I did'nt go back. And the reason being is that there is another dealer close by and I have been talking with them. Plus I did'nt want things getting weird like two kid making nice nice know what I mean. Listen I own a nice boat now and I don't need AM for anything and I'm cool with that. I have talked with TR this summer when I a long list of problems with my 05 XLV and he was great and the problems were fixed,so I'm happy. Going back and having to deal with what went on at the show just isn't worth it. Besides what does it change and what do I gain. I just going to save my money and buy a MC X30 cause its what I wanted in the first place but was alittle afraid to spend that much but Ive learned what it is I want the boat to do and how I want to use it.
Sign a 36 year airline pilot.

Zach
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-20-2006, 4:59 PM Reply   
I think you messed up not going back. First of all, after publicly venting I think accepting the companies top executives invitation would have been the least you could do followed with some report your discussion.

I'll I can say is that I would love to have a little one on one discussion with someone like Rick Tinker. Even if you didn’t buy after meeting him, I bet he would have been genuine, would have noted your issues with the boat show, and respected your position.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-20-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
why did he mess up?

accepting the company's invitation (after he was mistreated in the first place) is not mandatory. it's an option. yes, it was cool of rick to respond publicly to make good, but it shouldn't have come to that in the first place.

if you would've taken the invitation from rick, cool...that's you.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-20-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
Joe,

No I guess we’re not going to get a rope and organize a posse. But if you’re into the sport then I yes I think he messed up. In Zack's original post it sounded like he was definitely going to buy a SC boat, mainly because he had a good relationship with his dealer. But then at the boat show I guess the dealer didn’t meet his expectations. Now he says that he really wasn’t interested in that boat or even in that brand, sounds inconsistent to me, OK he has the right to change his mind. From the dealers perspective I bet some customers are high maintenance I recall that Karl De Looff, made a good post on dealer-customer relationship last summer.

I’m not suggesting that Rick would have sweetened the deal just because Zack was upset with his treatment, otherwise we’re all really pissed off, we want loaded boats for next to nothing, and the line forms behind me. I am saying that Rick would probably make sure that Zack got what he needed from this dealer this year, and then after all this attention the dealer would probably be responsive to Zack for years to come. Everyone says that one of the most important aspects of selecting a boat is the dealer, Rick was trying to correct a problem and Zack had previous good experiences, looks like a good deal for Zack to me.

P.S. I’ve never met Rick Tinker or other SC staff, so what Rick would do is purely my speculation.
Old    justsomeguy            01-20-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
"But if you’re into the sport then I yes I think he messed up."

Because YOU would love to have a little one on one conversation a "bigwig" at a wakeboat company?

You sound like some kid that's all excited to meet the latest teen sensation that you saw in Tiger Beat or something.

p.s. Many folks that are "into the sport" couldn't give a rat's ass about meeting someone from (insert boat manufacturer here)'s corporate office. They're just boats after all...