Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-14-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
I'm moving out of Southern Cal. and have a job offer in Seattle and one in Denver. I have family in Denver but better schools in Seattle... The snowboarding is better in Denver but still pretty good in Seattle... Its too wet in Seattle and too Dry in Denver... How does the wakeboarding compare?
Old     (doogles)      Join Date: May 2004       11-14-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
Seattle by far!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-14-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
I can't speak with regards to Seattle, but I lived in Denver for 6 years and, while riding anywhere is fun, I will share this anecdotal evidence.

#1. We would get up at 5:30 to be at the State Park (Chatfield) by 6 am when it opened. We rode until about 9 am, and by then the water was too choppy to ride anymore.

#2. If we went later in the day (weekends) we sometimes were turned away because the lake was 'full' of boats.

#3. We drove to Lake Mac in Nebraska (of all places) for long weekends of riding (and it wasn't that great either).

#4. You can reach Lake Powell in one day, which is by far the best riding I've had in my life. It wasn't a cheap trip though.

I loved Denver, and still desperately miss the winters, but living in TN and getting up at 8 am, and having glass until 2 pm on a river 2 miles away is hard to beat.
Old    walt            11-14-2006, 3:24 PM Reply   
I'm sure Seattle has better Wakeboarding but Denver has snow boarding and the Broncos.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-14-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
Are you saying Seattle doesn't have snow boarding? Mt. Baker Washington practically put snowboarding on the map. Plus every major wakeboarding manufacturer is there. Seattle hands down.
Old    walt            11-14-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
Your biased Hahn.
Old    swass            11-14-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
I suppose that depends on your priorities. If wakeboarding is your priority, then I'm sure the options in Seattle are more plentiful. However, if your priority is snow sports, then there is no comparison between Colorado champaign powder and Washington crud. I won't go into the Seahawks vs. Broncos comparison.

The "body of water" options in Colorado are limited, to say the least. There are private lake options, but they're pretty spendy. Even on a private lake, Loren's #1 still applies. Generally speaking, our lakes are "rideable" between 6-10 a.m. and from about 7 p.m. to dusk. You have to learn to ride in the chunk around here.
Old     (cptoafficiency)      Join Date: May 2006       11-14-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
You guys are lucky, both beat Tahoe. It sucks up here...wet snow and windy, crowded lakes.
Old     (mcmike)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-14-2006, 4:16 PM Reply   
Seattle is great for both snow and water. Mt Baker is great as well as Whistler only a couple hours away. During the summer season, the lakes get crowded, but you can always head east to the Columbia. Miles of open water, great weather and generally pretty good riding.
Old     (billyjodonjimbo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-14-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
I have lived in both Denver and Seattle.

I would say Seattle is better. Especially if you like wakeboarding.

In Colorado, the lakes are small and always crowded or you need to pay for a season's pass to the lake.

In Seattle, the lakes are bigger, and you can usually find a bit better water somewhere.

As for snowboarding, I think they are comparable.
The snow is a wee bit wetter in Seattle, but there is some definitely some sick lines to be had at Baker and Alpental.

PM me if you have any specific questions
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-14-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
Seattle for both wakeboarding and snowboarding. For wakeboarding, no contest. There's a reason all the manufacturers are here.

For snowboarding, we've got excellent hills close by, with Alpental 45 minutes away, Stevens and Crystal 1.5hrs, Baker 2.5 hrs, and Whistler 4 hrs away.

Baker already has an 80" base! Baker's annual snowfall average of 647" is the highest in the country.

Then there is Whistler, a 4 hour drive, which has the best snowboarding of any resort in North America. There's nothing near Denver that compares to Whistler -- only Jackson Hole and Snowbird.

Yes, I'm biased, too, and proud of it.

Oh, and we have the Seahawks, too!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-14-2006, 4:28 PM Reply   
Swass,

I think you forgot about a little place just north of here. It stacks up pretty well comparatively to Colorado snow.

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/ski/vancouver/downhill.htm

Add to that the fact we can wakeboard year round, and the decision simple.

My Hawks are coming to pay a visit in a couple of weeks, and our defense is on fire right now. You better hope Mr. Snake brings his A game buddy.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-14-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
I've been thinking about this for a little while as well. what place has the absolute best of both worlds?
Old     (jsxstar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-14-2006, 4:52 PM Reply   
I am from just north of seattle but have lived in denver for the last 3 years. Its been ok for skiin and riding but I will be on my way back to Seattle at a high rate of speed in June. Its the best place for everything in my opinion!! By the way Whistler was rate #1 for the best powder by skiin magazine last issue.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-14-2006, 5:45 PM Reply   
I figured the answer was Seatle, its great to hear that most people are confirming my suspisions. I'm sure that when I do move, I'll be looking for crew and/or rides. Thanks guys.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-14-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
Seattle is way way way better!! I live in Denver and there is no water around here! All the lakes are so crowded it's hard to find good water. Seattle has much more water..... (We have too many riders for our water already.)
Old    meyerb            11-14-2006, 9:35 PM Reply   
+1 Seattle
I just left CO which I called home for 6 years.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-15-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
Florida.
Old     (air_bordan)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-15-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
Portland...less traffic better water and year round snowboarding!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-15-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
Thane, tough to beat Nor Cal unless you factor in the cost of living.

Tahoe is killer snowboarding and if you live in Sac it's only an hour away. The Delta and hords of lakes are more than ample for wakeboarding.

I love where I live.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-15-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
What are you all smoking Seattle sucks fro snow and wake boarding. Stay away at all costs. LOL!
Old    swass            11-15-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
Do doubt, Cliff. But we have those same conditions in our backyard. We don't have to leave the country.

Jake doesn't need his A game to beat the hags.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-15-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
Evan - true that. There are a handful of people that have told me that I need to move up north.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-15-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
i'm not one of 'em!

get your butt up here man!
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-15-2006, 2:39 PM Reply   
has anybody heard of this place called VAIL. is's a toss up between vail and whistler which is better? but swass and kraig said it best the water sucks and the private lakes are expensive. the weather is also terrible, so if you don't mind go ahead and take the job is seattle. that would be one less transplant on the slopes and water.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-15-2006, 2:54 PM Reply   
Either way I'm gonna be another one of those "G*d damn californian transplants"!!!
Hey... That's one small point for Colorado because they have Texas transplants that the locals hate even more than cali's :-)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-15-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
I don't know Mike, I hear the french are a-holes.
Old    mendo247            11-15-2006, 3:15 PM Reply   
ive always thought that redding or shasta city would be a cool place to live! shasta and mt shasta minutes away.. i know the snowboarding isnt tahoe but there are some great tree runs off the back side and shasta speaks for it self. plus the greatest lake on the west coast is an hour away !! (trinity lake)
Old     (billyjodonjimbo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-15-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
vail is way overrated.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-15-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
A fairer question would be to ask which is better for boarding (wake and snow), Sacramento/NorCal or Seattle? Seattle vs. Denver, sorry, no contest.

Upload
Mt. Baker on Monday
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-15-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
what exactly makes vail overated! that fact that you can get pow for around a week after it falls.
Old    meyerb            11-15-2006, 8:51 PM Reply   
Vail is alright, Aspen Highlands is better
Old     (billyjodonjimbo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-15-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
vail is overrated because:

if you live on the front range it takes about 3 hours to get there if there is fresh snow and then like 8 to get back.

Once you get there, you either have to pay to park or you have to park along that road, and then walk like 2 miles to the lift. Or if you get there early enough to get a good spot on the road, then they tow your car away.

The mountain gets tracked out in like 3 hours after a fresh dumping. You then have to know where the secret lines are....but every mountain ever has secret lines.

A lift ticket costs, what is it now, 80 bucks?

Personally, I hate going to Vail. There is just so much hassle involved.

The lines are always enormous.

Everytime I have been there, the lift breaks, and everyone waits and the lines get even longer.

To get from point A to B it seems like you always have to go on a 2 miles cat track adventure.

I like the fact that I moved and live about 30 minutes from alpental , where I have a cheap season's pass, and can find lines all the time. Weeks after it snowed.

But, Vail does have some good terrain. I just think there is alot of hassle involved, and people hype it up way too much. There is just as good as riding to be found elsewhere.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-15-2006, 9:05 PM Reply   
most of the people i've talked to about vail said it sucks.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-16-2006, 6:14 AM Reply   
Joe, Vail is better than it is here.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-16-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
i have yet to board baker. that would be the best board trip ever.
Old    swass            11-16-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
I would recommend getting off the beaten path a little bit and visit some of the "local" hangouts. Aside from apres ski options, I kinda think all the big resorts are over-rated. If you're better than average, I highly recommend Mary Jane. There are no beginner runs, so it's a popular local hill with a laid-back flavor. And Winter Park has a terrain park for you knuckle-draggers.

With that said, I'll be in Beaver Creek this weekend. lol
Old    swass            11-16-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
On a positive note, Vail is reporting 26" of new snow in the last week.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-16-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
For the full package of water/snow sports Seattle is the winner hands down.

Oh and go HAWKS!!!!! Norcal skiing sucks.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-16-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
If I could only get out of work right now!

Upload
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-16-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
that water looks cold. i say go to seattle ... that way the lift line is one person shorter! LOL!
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-16-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
swass makes a good point, there are some local places that are really good. i am partial to loveland, but that is a place that you have to know where you are going and it is way above average. wp is nice also. i will have to agree with the fact that vail does have some weird things in reguards to parking, but disagree with the mountian issues. what mountian is there that doesn't have it's own "secret lines", to me it's how many secret lines are there to find. that is what makes vail on of the best around, there are so many lines is it crazy.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-17-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
I'll be snowboarding and wakeboarding this weekend. How many other places can you say that for? Another vote for Seattle. Traffic sucks here though, be prepared for that. You definately won't have a problem finding a crew up here.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-19-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   

quote:

By mike hillard (otiswunguy) on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 2:27 pm:

I'll be snowboarding and wakeboarding this weekend. How many other places can you say that for?

a lot of places actually, including cali. include surfing and seattle's out. include skateboarding and seattle's out many days cause of the rain.

(Message edited by dakid on November 19, 2006)
Old     (billyjodonjimbo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-19-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
well. can't surf in colorado unless you drive about 15 hours.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-19-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
Joe-you can surf in washington. it's no farther than driving to Mt. Baker and its not bad at all. There are also several indoor skateparks in Seattle including a top notch location in kent. This is true for many locations on the west coast. The whole west coast is perfect for these activities. Its just a little warmer and browner the farther south you go.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-19-2006, 5:50 PM Reply   
Joe - You're right. There's no surf in/around Seattle (the point breaks west of Port Angeles in the Straight of Juan De Fuca or the secret breaks on the west of Widbey really suck). We get no snow anywhere and if we do there is no good terrain to ride. The water in summer is always choppy/bumpy. Everyone should stay away. Better yet they should all move to CA or CO.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-19-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
notidad, you are so hilarious and oh so original!
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-19-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
Thanks, but I'm not trying to be. Everyone should stay away from Seattle. Really. Everyone.
Old    meyerb            11-19-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
..and a bunch of tree hugging hippies in Seattle too.
Old     (33drew)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-19-2006, 11:15 PM Reply   
hippies are in denver too. Ever been to boulder?
Old     (33drew)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-19-2006, 11:22 PM Reply   
Any of you denver guys need a third? I'm a csu student without a boat for a few years.
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-20-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
can always use a third but the boat is in storage. focusing on skiingnow. hit be up around april