Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-26-2009, 10:29 PM Reply   
I just had my subwoofer and amp stolen from my boat sometime over winter off my supra. The dealer told me my sub was a kicker 10 inch with grill. I have a square hole under the helm where the old sub was and the kicker is a circular sub. I just wondered what ideas anyone had for me to make this work or get a subwoofer that would work? Thanks.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-26-2009, 10:53 PM Reply   
just get one of the square kicker subs
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-26-2009, 11:19 PM Reply   
You need to find out what was in it as far as impedance, power handling, etc... Don't just "get" something. I wouldn't recommend just throwing any Kicker sub in there. If you don't know, then go to a local car audio shop.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-27-2009, 6:51 AM Reply   
Well, I have a pair of wetsound pro 80's and I have a kicker zx700.5 amp. I ordered the sub that they said was in there really not thinking about it until yesterday. I didn't know if it would work or what kind of other subs would be out there. I couldn't find any marine grade square subs but then again I only looked at a handfull of sites. Any help would be appreciated.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-27-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
Andrew-

The Supras that came equipped with the square woofer got the L7 10" woofer.

If you are going to replace it, you want to buy the S10L74. The woofer is a dual 4-ohm; wire the voice coils in parallel and that will load the amp up properly.

Phil
Kicker
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-27-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
Thanks Phil, now all I have to do is return this one i'm getting from amazon when it comes. I have a question though. Is it around to just screw the sub up to the boat without a box or anything? I never really looked into the one I had previously, so I was just curious.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-27-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
In every instance you are better served to take the time to install a proper enclosure for the woofer.

I do not recall if Supra went to the trouble of building an enclosure for that sub, but to get the most out of it you would be wise to do so. The design of the woofer is such that it will function in an infinite baffle situation without damage, but it will sound immensely better if you build a box.

A simple 1 cubic foot sealed enclosure will work pretty well. Consider using 13-ply void-free birch plywood, or typical 13-ply 3/4-inch cabinet plywood instead of MDF.

On that side note, MDF is great for full-range home systems where we are dealing with very short wavelengths from mids and tweeters, but with a sub enclosure there is very little benefit from using MDF. From an acoustic standpoint, the wavelengths of the sound coming from the box are way to long to bother using MDF; the sonic benefits do not really exist. The 13-ply will stand up WAY better in the marine environment; most now have synthetic glues between the plys and are largely impervious to the effects of moisture. For any enclosure consider spacing it up off the floor a little to keep as much moisture off of the enclosure as possible, and coat the plywood enclosure AT LEAST with a good coat of paint to help seal it. Truck liner, epoxy resin, and other coatings do an even better job, FYI

Sorry for the long reply, but I wanted to put some information behind my answer. In summary, you can get okay performance out of that woofer by just mounting it to the wall, but it will work WAY better if you build a box for it!

Let us know how it goes!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-27-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
Thanks Phil, I appreciate everything, just another question. When looking through amazon (just kind of searching around to see how much it will cost) I've found 2 different versions. One was all black and the other has a silver sub with the outlining of it black. Does it matter which one I would get? I appreciate all of your help as well, you've been very informative.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-27-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
There are a few differences from a cosmetic standpoint, and a few mechanical differences but either old or new will work fine. There is no radical performance difference that would require you to change up any box design.

Good luck with it!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-27-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
Andrew, did you find out if you're boat has the enclosure or not? If not, it would be in your best interest to build one. I have a 24SSV and have had several different woofer setups in the last year, so if you're interested, I can post some pics for you.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-27-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
John, ya if you could send some pics to help me out that would be great. It just pisses me off that someone stole the stuff from me and I wouldn't be in this situation. I appreciate everyones input on things.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-27-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
Here are some pics. Keep in mind that you're boat may be different. Mine came with a Kenwood Excelon 10" in the port side console. Here are the different setups I've had:

1. 4 JL Audio 10W0's in sealed enclosures. 2 on each side, both enclosures were identical in size and built to JL's specs. The one under the helm slid all the way back in on the shelf and was screwed down. I never finished the flush panel because I knew it would change soon.

Upload
Upload
Upload

2. 2 Wet Sounds 12" XXX subs. 1 in each console. The one under the helm was so deep that to get part of it flush with the shelf I had to angle it in. There are no angles on the box, so it's a little higher in the rear. The back of it is pressed against the inside of the bow seating. The bottom is flush, and the top sticks out a little. I used the OEM flush panel and trimmed it out to fit. On port side, I just set the box in there and screwed it down.

Again, if you want to do something like this, shop around at your local car audio shops. If you find a good installer, I'm sure you could get a really nice enclosure built for your new sub, and it should'nt cost anymore than $200 unless they do something crazy or have more angles. We normally charge a little less than that here but we have a really low overhead and operating cost.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-28-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
Andrew,

In some models Supra has mounted the sub in the facade without an enclosure. In this case you need an enclosure.

Supra also uses an HDPE enclosure behind the facade on some models. This enclosure is awful and should be replaced.

Not all plywoods are solvent based. If you're going to use plywood, use MDO. Its as water-resistant as any wood product, moderately priced and fairly accessible. Use only Titebond II or another waterproof glue.

Your are really going to be surprised when you get that woofer in a real box.

David
Earmark Marine