Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-14-2009, 5:19 AM Reply   
Wear your life jacket, use your kill switch. This is an eyeopener....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI&feature=haxa_popt00us06
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-14-2009, 5:26 AM Reply   
...and dont' drive like a tool
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-14-2009, 5:33 AM Reply   
He is so luck his prop didn't cut him in half.
And people say wakeboards are unsafe.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-14-2009, 5:49 AM Reply   
If you drive like that, you also need a helmet!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-14-2009, 6:06 AM Reply   
Every fisherman needs to see that.

So everyone here wears their kill switch?
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-14-2009, 6:07 AM Reply   
Looks pretty much how most bass boats are driven around here
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-14-2009, 6:25 AM Reply   
Another good reason not to buy a bass boat.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-14-2009, 6:30 AM Reply   
A-dub, I don't even have a kill switch...
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-14-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
can't say that i feel all that sorry for the guy. kinda got what he was asking for.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-14-2009, 6:39 AM Reply   
WTF looks like he intentionally tried to crash is boat. Behind on his payments or just a DA?
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-14-2009, 6:43 AM Reply   
I wonder how much $$ his wife would take for the boat?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-14-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
How was he in the water unconcious for ten minutes? Did it really take 10 minutes for the guy filming to turn his boat around and go help the dude out of the water?
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-14-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
Brutal!
In talking with bass fisherman, I've noticed one of the first comments is usually how fast the boat will go.
70 on the water is damn fast.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-14-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
Now admit it. Most any of us if given the opportunity would see how fast we could go on the water, whether in a bass boat, PWC, cigar, or in our much slower towboats. I do not think I have had my boat over 30MPH in the last 2 years, but have seen how fast all the boats I have ever owned would go once or twice.

The guy in the original vid just didn't know when enough was enough and caught a really bad break.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-14-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
70 mph is sloooow for a bass boat. I had a friend that took me out in his boat. It went 94 mph. If I didn't know his driving skills, I wouldn't have went along. Most any old bass rig goes faster than 70 though.

Jman
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-14-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
the guy in the video was being a moron and crossed the wake way too close for that speed. he probably crossed the wake way too close for regs too.

lucky he didn't break his neck against the wall of the boat.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-14-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
Nice bass boat w2w. I'm callin' BS on the 10 minutes
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-14-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
I wouldn't say that it is eye opening for most of us to wear a life jacket and use the kill switch. I think it is more of a good idea to wear your life jacket when you are pushing your fast boat to the absolute limit. If I had to wear a life jacket all the time while I was on my boat I would quit boating.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-14-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
w2w!!!!!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-14-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
Yea, he almost got the rotation going. Maybe a little more right hand on the wheel, and of course more throttle.

Keep working on that inside out spin!!
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-14-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
i saw a bass boat doing 109mph on youtube.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-14-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
From the description: "All of you have hit a suprise wave from out of nowhere at speeds of 70 mph or more."

Really? I kinda try to keep an eye out and go a speed that's appropriate to the conditions. That guy was either trying to show off, or has no clue how to drive a boat. Lucky to be alive.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-14-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
That guy is an idiot.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-14-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
Crossing another boats wake at 70 mph when you have about 2' of your hull touching the water=brilliant
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-14-2009, 12:48 PM Reply   
Yup, if there is a tourny going on.... expect them to drive worse.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-14-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
I think he thought he was driving a pwc. I cant help but laugh and have been all day when i think about it. Atleast he is ok so i dont feel that bad.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-14-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
He wasn't committed to the spin. He didn't even try to pass the handle.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-14-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
Those damn boats are terrible for cruising. They have two speeds, idle and hair on fire! Mine does 70mph, had it there once, only once . When you trim the boat up it's scary son. I keep my hull in the water 95% of the time and it does 56mph. Plenty fast enough.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-14-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
Wearing a safety in a wakeboat makes almost no sense.I don't even know how fast my boat will go and I don't care.
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-14-2009, 5:47 PM Reply   
yeah im gonna stick to my wakeboat not really making it past 40, plus mine sits deep in the water and I dont drive like a tool, thats how i stay safe
Old     (mikes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-14-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
I had a Ranger bass boat for 6 years. We only ran it WFO in the early am with no boat traffic.There is nothing in the water at that speed except for the back 6" of the hull.Anyone on board had a vest on and I wore the tether.I still wear the tether every time I get in my wakeboat and I make anyone driving it wear it as well.It's cheap insurance,anything can happen.

The guy does not look like a rookie to me, he just made a bad choice. You can see him steering the boat out of a chinewalk twice before the crash which is not something a novice would know how to do,and it's not easy to do without panicking. On another note,he very well could have been in the water for 10 mins. If that was a friend of mine,and he was floating face up and in no danger of drowning,I may have waited for help from medics to prevent any issues not knowing the extent of his injuries.

I'm not trying to defend the guy, I just think sometimes people are to quick to judge and I don't think any boat accident is humorous. The guy obviously f'ed up,but people make mistakes. Luckily he was pepared. Everybody thinks "It can't happen to me" and that is probably exactly what this guy thought. Valuable lesson learned.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-14-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
its kinda ironic these guys on my lake drive like a bat outa hell to get to a spot to sit and fish ...
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-14-2009, 6:25 PM Reply   
I personally can't see how the moral of the story is the life jacket and kill switch saved him.

What I take away from the video, is that you should not drive like a dumb a$$. He was out of control several times in the video. This is the equivalent of wearing a bicycle helment and taking on a car head on because you are protected.
Old     (gawabr190)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-14-2009, 8:03 PM Reply   
Wow, there are some harsh comments about the poor guy on this board. He made a dumb mistake, no question, but he is someones father/husband/son/brother and maybe deserves a small amount of compassion for nearly losing his life, dont you think?
Is his life worth less because he doesn't drive an inboard or isnt part of the wakeboard community? Sorry if I'm mis-interpreting some of your comments, but that is the impression I get from some of you.
I think it is obvious that he would probably been worse off without the life jacket & kill switch. He did at least make 2 good decisions that day.
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-14-2009, 8:37 PM Reply   
roughrivermike:

"He wasn't committed to the spin. He didn't even try to pass the handle."

I am sorry but that comment was just too funny!
Old    vanski            05-14-2009, 10:29 PM Reply   
Yeah...he could've killed someones father/husband/son/brother and lets not forgot, sister, mother, aunt, grandmother and play cousin. Works both ways. If I saw that in person, I would lose no sleep. How many idiots have killed the innocent on the roadways and water for mistakes they have made. I have no sympathy for people who put others in jeopardy.
Old     (linder)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-14-2009, 11:28 PM Reply   
This is why I LOVE when bass boats follow extremely close to a rider behind my boat.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-15-2009, 12:11 AM Reply   
Driving a cig boat 80 MPH isn't a big deal in the open lake, because those boats are made for that and can take on large waves and such. Its always surprised me how those tiny bass boats have those huge outboards on them. Its always seemed like a recipe for disaster.

If your going to take a tiny boat like that at speeds like that, then obviously wear the vest and the kill tether/switch. But in the watersports towboat community, life vests and kill switches in the boat seem pretty overly protective.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       05-15-2009, 12:52 AM Reply   
This thread got me thinking about the epic "wrecked boats" thread a couple years back. We should start another thread.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-15-2009, 2:10 AM Reply   
life vests and kill switches in the boat seem pretty overly protective

So what if you cross a wake (at any speed) or other large waves, bump your head on the side of the tower or window, and get knocked unconscious? Who's gonna stop the boat especially if you're the only one in it?

Here's a good one: You're in a Mastercraft, and those genius wakeboard racks dumps your board out on your head because the water's too rough (laugh, but I've seen it firsthand), knocks your ass out, then what?

Something like this happened to me about 4 years ago. I was in my Baja 24' H2X going too fast without the tether or a life jacket. Crossed some rollers that I didn't see, launched the boat straight up, then I came out of the drivers seat, bumped my head on the deck on the port side, then was slammed down in teh floor. Luckily there was a passenger that didn't get hurt. He stopped the boat within 50 yards of the shore. Had he not been there, me and my boat would've been in a house.

No matter how slow your boat is, or how experienced you think you are, IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU!
Old     (swatkinz)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-15-2009, 5:49 AM Reply   
what's the point in haulin @ss to catch a fish? If you're fishing a tournament then you could make a case for it. Every time I see a bass fisherman on the lake it goes something like this. Put on life jacket(this is a good thing) Hammer Down to a fishing spot on the lake. FAster the better, other boaters, pwcs, wakeboarders be damned...get out of the way. when you get to fishing spot, drop the troller and grab one of 15 rods. Make about 30 casts. Be sure that everyone around can see your convertible fishing pants and Columbia sportswear fishing shirt. After 30 casts, put your rod back in the velcroed rod holder on the front deck. Keep the troller down while you drive slightly faster than idle so that you can look at your fish finder all the while kicking up a slight roller for everybody else. Put your life jacket on, stow the troller and then hammer down to your next spot. Make sure that it is at least 4-5 miles away so that you can run your boat wide open for many, many people to see. After several drag sprints to sporadic spots on the lake, call it a day by backing your metal flake fendered boat trailer into the water with your wrapped matching pickup/suv. If you're not sponsored it's no big deal. (Just put an FLW sticker somewhere and it'll be cool.) Be sure to act like you left your mother's womb loading a boat and give anyone around you a disgusted look if it appears that they don't bass fish or that they are not as experienced as you. Happy Fishing!
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-15-2009, 5:58 AM Reply   
good call steve, thats about all that needs to be said
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-15-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
I don't know. It sort of sounds like a lot of people here have the " Since you aren't into what I'm currently into, you and your interests are stupid" attitude. Lots of folks here need to grow up and learn some respect for others.

Jman
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-15-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
Jman, I see what you're saying, but there is a point where peoples common sense is what is being judged and not their likes or dislikes. Taking a small bass boat to 70+ mph is not a bright thing to do. This is a perfect example as to why.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-15-2009, 10:20 AM Reply   
Chris, I see what you are saying, too. To someone else though, hanging onto a rope behind a moving boat, jumping into the air and turning flips may not seem too bright. We all see stuff through our own eyes, often without seeing how it may appear to someone else. Look at lots of sports. Drag cars and dragboats disintergrate when they crash. That's insane, but those who do it, love it. Lots of people here seem to have the attitude that anyone out on the lake doing anything besides wakeboarding is just "in their way and messing up their water". We all want smooth water, whether we are fishing, skiing, tubing, surfing, just chillin' OR wakeboarding. Pay it forward...GIVE respect to others and sooner or later you'll get respect in return.

Jman
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-15-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
I see what you're saying. Trust me I understand, I rode bulls for 7 years. I just think the guy in this boat was being foolish. It seems like he really didn't know what he was doing and he could have killed someone other than himself. I do agree with you, to each their own
Old     (chall8143)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-15-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
I see what both of you are saying.

See what I'm saying?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-15-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
I do
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-15-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
The Chattanooga Bass Association has weekly (every Tuesday evening) and monthly (all day on Saturday)on Chickamauga Lake. The lake is 70 miles long plus the Hiwassee River tributary that is 30 plus miles long. They run 70 plus mph to cover all the lake. Some boats even lock through to Watts Bar lake on the north or Nickajack to the south giving over 200 miles of potential fishing area. You don't want to be in the way when they start or at ending time.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-15-2009, 10:34 PM Reply   
John Bauer: I see what your saying... (couldn't resist)... but do you ride in a life vest with your kill rope tied now that your driving you Supra? I don't think my Malibu even has a kill switch tie thing. If my Malibu did 70+ MPH, maybe I's want one... But at 45 MPH, there is no need, especially considering we're driving 23 foot boats that weigh like they're 26 feet. If my board rack breaks or anything random happens in my boat where something huge becomes disattached and knocks me out, it would be so rare and random, preparing for it would be overkill. I'd be to nervous to take the boat in a lake over 5 feet deep.

If your riding around fast like that guy in a boat that size, you need that safety stuff. In a large and heavy wakeboard boat, I still say there is no need.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-15-2009, 11:39 PM Reply   
I don't wear a life vest while under power unless we're on the river and the wind picks up. When the water at our river or lake gets rough, boats like ours have NO business out there. There have already been around 10 drownings here in the last couple months between the river and the lake.

Here's a few of those stories:

GILBERTSVILLE, Ky. — The teenage boys who fell into Kentucky Lake while duck hunting on Saturday were wearing life jackets, according to a family member.

Cory Williams, uncle of Trevor Williams, whose body was pulled from the lake on Sunday, said the boys put their johnboat into the water off Rocky Point on Saturday morning. The winds were calm in the morning but picked up by afternoon.

“The boys decided to pick up and come back,” he said. “When the waves came in over the back of the boat, it was a lot of water.”

They had pulled the plug in the boat and had on their life jackets. Three of the boys had on jackets that zipped up the front. One boy had on a jacket that hugged his neck, Williams said.

“When they hit the water, they knew they had to get their chest waders off,” Williams said. “To unsnap them, they had to take off their life jackets. To unsnap them and then with the water temperature and 3-foot waves, they were not able to put the jackets back on.”

Williams said two of the jackets were recovered near the boat.

“We want the public to know that these boys were experienced boaters and very safe on the water,” Williams said. “The conditions just caught them off guard. It was an unfortunate accident. If there was a checklist on how to survive this type of boating accident, these boys did it.”

Williams said Heathcott told him that the waves were 3-4 feet with winds at 15-20 mph. “The boys did not have a chance,” he said.

Williams said all four boys (Trevor Williams, Jacob Scott, McKenzie Stanley and Heathcott) were experienced fishermen and hunters and took precautions.

Lori Scott, Jacob Scott’s mother, also said her son was a veteran hunter. The boys had hunted and fished on Kentucky Lake all their lives and also had hunted in Missouri and in Barlow, Scott said. “This wasn’t new to them,” she said.

The family also had just bought him new chest waders and a duck coat for Christmas. “All of that is with him now,” Scott said.

A search-and-rescue dog named Roscoe, a yellow Labrador retriever, assisted the search for Scott and Stanley on Wednesday.

“It brings something more to the table,” Scott said. “It’s another tool to use in locating them.”

Divers from Mermet Springs, Ill., and Tennessee helped rescue workers when sonar spotted a possibility. In an e-mail, Scott said Kentucky Lake still has debris from the 2005 tornado that affected the Moors Camp area as well as submerged stumps and trees from the formation of the lake in the 1940s. The debris makes it more difficult for sonar equipment to spot what might be a body underneath the water.

Duane Hawes, chief deputy director of Marshall County Emergency Management, identified “points of interest” as the area close to where Heathcott was rescued on Saturday. Williams’ body was found 500 yards from the shore, officials said previously.

The boys also had taken a yellow Labrador retriever named Drake on their hunting trip. The dog remains missing, Williams said.

Scott said the time she spent making phone calls and searching the Internet for information on dive teams has paid off with additional resources arriving such as divers from Illinois. Texas EquuSearch had planned to send a team Wednesday but its sonar equipment required repair, Hawes said. The group and its equipment should arrive today.

Hawes said Artic temperatures anticipated for today will slow searchers. “We’ve got our boats out, and we’re hoping for the very best,” he said.

The search was suspended late Wednesday afternoon and should resume this morning.

Heres a real good one....

Three men died in boating mishaps in separate incidents on Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley on Saturday.

Searchers recovered the bodies of two fishermen from southeastern Kentucky Lake late Saturday night after their boat capsized around 5 p.m. near Patterson’s Point.

The first body recovered was that of Albert Springer, 66, of Henderson, Tenn. said Calloway County Deputy Coroner Ricky Garland. The second body recovered was that of Jerry Wallace, 60, of McKenzie, Tenn. Garland said that the two deceased were longtime friends. The survivor, Lucas Sims, is the son-in-law of Wallace, said Interim Calloway County Coroner Ricky Harris.

Henderson is about 20 miles southeast of Jackson, Tenn. McKenzie is about 15 miles southwest of Paris, Tenn.

The Calloway County DES and fire and rescue squads, Henry County (Tenn.) Rescue Squad, Marshall County Rescue Squad and Graves County Rescue Squad aided in the search.

At about 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Donald Smith, 69, of Brookport, Ill., was fishing in an 18-foot bass boat in Mammoth Furnace Bay on Lake Barkley in Lyon County, said Daniel Richardson of the department of Fish and Wildlife.

Witnesses said Smith was moving to a new fishing spot, but apparently forgot to move the anchor rope down in front. Smith walked to pull up the anchor but since the boat was still in gear it moved forward and he was thrown over the front of the boat.

Smith then became entangled in the rope and the boat drug him in a circle for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Richardson said that a man jumped into the water and tried to free Richardson, but was cut by the boat’s propeller. He declined to release the man’s name, but said that he went into surgery at Lourdes Hospital in Paducah.

Livingston County EMS tried to revive the man at Craven’s Bay, Richardson said. The U.S. Forest Service and state police also assisted at the scene.

With the summer boating season arriving, Richardson gave some boating safety precautions.

“They (should) be familiar with their equipment and know their limitations on the water,” he said. “Just take extra time to look at your safety equipment and wear your life jackets.”

That's the type of thing that makes you say "It can't happen to me". 45mph, 23' boat? Can't happen to you? It happened to me in a 24' boat, just when I thought it couldn't. That wakeboard falling out of a MC board rack and plowing someone in teh head: I saw that. I was sitting next to the guy. The water was rough and I had a vest on just in case. What if that was the driver and he was knocked out? Guess the boat's just gonna go anywhere it want's to.

I've been in these "can't happen to me" situations. Do what you want but don't get someone else hurt in teh process.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-15-2009, 11:41 PM Reply   
I forgot to answer that question: I do wear my kill switch. I never did until I had an accident, but it opened my eyes when I learned how lucky I was to be alive. I only wear a vest under power when the water's rough. I was caught out once when a storm blew up and the swell's were coming at least 2' over the bow of the boat. I was moving at about 15 mph and trying to keep the bow up high, but it still didn't help....
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-16-2009, 5:17 AM Reply   
STUPID HURTS!I am just glad no one else got hurt.The dude got what he was asking for.You do dumb stuff you gota pay the price.Ok so hes some ones dad brother son whatever he should think of that before he does stupid shizit like that.I hope he learned from his mistake so that people around him are safer for it.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-16-2009, 6:02 AM Reply   
When I broke my leg wakeskating I didn't ask for anyone to feel sorry for me nor would I want them too.I took that risk getting in the water and knew what could happen.Its called life and you can't go around with pillows duck taped to your body.All you can do is make smart calculated decisions to minimise the chances and axcept it when things go south.If your worried about the safety wire in a wakeboat you don't have any business in one in the first place.It is inherantly dangerous and the safety wire should be the last concern.
Old     (mikes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-16-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
It is inherantly dangerous and the safety wire should be the last concern.

People can do whatever they want to do.Not much I can do to stop them,but in all honesty this statement is one of the dumbest things I've seen posted on here. It literally takes 1 second to put on. If you crash on a board or skate,well that can't be prevented especially when learning new tricks, but a runaway boat can be prevented.
If you had a way to prevent injury to yourself(broken leg) while wakeskating you would utilize it right? Absolutely. You'd be a fool not to. So why just leave the cord hanging there ? I guess wearing your seatbelt while driving should be your last concern too. Driving an automobile is inherantly dangerous.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-16-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
He'd probably ride a sport bike without a helmet too, because it's inherently dangerous and a helmet to protect his head should be the last concern.

Pull your head out of your butt for one minute. If a boat gets away from a driver and goes where ever it wants to, what do you think will stop it? Let me answer that: The next dock, marina, other moving vessels, homes, etc.... Those places are more than likely inhabited with people. Why put other people's life in danger for you're stupidity?

Then again, it's your life, do what you want. I just hope no one else gets hurt from your choices.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-16-2009, 7:08 PM Reply   
I have never once in my entire life heard of a wakeboat crashing because someone didn't have a safety wire on.Most wakeboats don't even have them.
Fishing boats,jetski,baha,hell I could even see a tournament boat using one but to say a two and a half ton wakeboat that barely does fourty needs one is the dumbest thing I have ever seen posted on this forum.
Of course this argument is pointless because like I said most wakeboats don't have them and for good reason.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-16-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
Most dont have them. I guarantee those are the older ones. All the newer (2000 +) boats I've seen have had them.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-16-2009, 8:01 PM Reply   
My point was the chance of a wakeboat getting away can't be much better than getting struck by lightning.That doesn't mean you should hang a copper rod from the top of your tower but instead avoid bad weather.
Instead of wearing a strap I would rather people stop drinking when boating.
Do you drink in your boat?
Do you pick people up on the driver side?
What gauges how safe a person is and what justification do you need to call someone stupid and unsafe?
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-16-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
Brock, I was always taught to pick people up ON the drivers side so you never lose sight of them. Are you saying that's wrong? If so, why?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-16-2009, 8:37 PM Reply   
When I had the accident that I mentioned above, it was before any drinking.

I pick people up on the drivers side, something wrong with that?

The lanyard is a safety device. Why are you arguing that it's a waste? Accidents don't choose what boat they happen in.

I bet you think that blowboats can have accidents either.... Last year I read a story on offshoreonly about 3 people being killed on a blowboat as a result of a runaway boat colliding with them.

(Message edited by jonyb on May 16, 2009)
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-17-2009, 2:22 AM Reply   
I see what your saying, but...

Seriously, I just checked, my 08 Malibu doesn't have a kill switch tie thing. Has anyone ever been thrown out of a wakeboard boat reading this??? A bass boat, sure. An 80's model Sanger speed boat, sure. But today's wakeboats... I just can't see anyone thrown out of this beast who isn't seated properly.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-17-2009, 3:11 AM Reply   
I've seen more drunks on wakeboats then anything else.... That could have something to do with it. I've got an 08 23LSV in my shop right now. I'll see if it has a switch.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-17-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
That Guy Is A F-ing Dumbass ! ! ! Anyone who drives like that should expect to crash and possibly hurt someone else in the process
Old     (freerider22)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-17-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
All those people shouldnt be able to operate anything more than a conoe on the water. Idiots!
Old     (bzager)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-17-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
what a dumb*****! that guy is an ahsshole! ***** him! who cares, and why was he floating in the water for 10 minutes if there was someone there video taping the whole thing. that whole situation is questionable, screw everyone involved!
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-17-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
Tool! How was he in the water for 10 mins? I mean, they saw the crash.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-18-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
The first Video on here is on my home lake.. Ross Barnett reservoir. that was friday a week ago. http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090517/COL0503/905170334/1127/SPORTS08

Prop Shop had done some work on the boat and was testing it! SWEET. Wait til he jumps a wakeboard wake...not a 30' CC with a flat wake at 45 mph!
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-18-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
I would have left the guy in the water!
and i think he pulled the kill switch to his brain looooong ago.

He was catching so much wind in the first 10 drive bys it almost flipped then. NO BRAIN!
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-18-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
Jet ski's and bass boat pull this crap all the time on my lake. Shame this doesn't happen a bit more often. Sorry if that sounds hateful, but if its my rider vs the stupid redneck in a BassTracker, I'll pick my rider every time.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-18-2009, 9:47 PM Reply   
There was a wreck last weekend on my lake during a poker run. flipped a cigarette boat at 100mph and threw 5 people out of the boat, and noone died, that guy got so lucky. Needless to say his boat became an anchor pretty quickly. Apparenly he tried to turn without slowing down is what the news said. Right befor it happend he burned pass a guy that was doin 85!