Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-07-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
My install is not perfect, and thanks Larry for sending out so quickly the replacement stock that I messed up. There are many people on here that have posted up just perfect projects and, wow, they just got to be gifted or blessed or something.

So mine’s not perfect, but not so bad as to hide it. Some time ago, I asked for help, and got invaluable advice.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/649213.html

Let me add a few other things that might help somebody else.

To stabilize the trailer, here’s a block to prop under the tongue.

Upload

Here’s swim platform off, and starboard ballast tank removed. The empty-tank sensor’s electric cord is only about 12 inches long before ending in a convenient connector.

Upload

Here’s what gets dismantled, the swim platform’s center bracket. You can cut that lanyard off now. That pin will be useless after the FAE install.

Upload

Here’s the starboard compartment with the ballast tank removed.

Upload

If knew what I’d find, I would have pulled the tank with the fill-drain hose left connected. To get slack in the line would require disconnecting the other end of the fill-drain hose at the water pump. I did put it back in that order (in reverse). There simply is not good clearance in the hull of the boat for that hose to come out from under a corner of the tank. The tank kind of crushes the hose against the hull. I replaced the original nipple in the tank with shorter one to give the hose more of a run before it’s crimped at that corner. Thinking about it now, I might have given it a different fix.

I asked this question way back when I asked for advice. What do I feel inside the hull of the boat that these bolts are holding onto? Because, whatever it is, it is going to interfere with a socket, and limit me to open end wrenches (14 mm by the way). Here it is. It is the tail end of the stern lifting ring. ??? Does anybody notice that, the lifting ring is attached to the hull by four bolts?, I mean, just four?

Upload

The FAE-specific bracket is constructed of (stainless) square tube. I thought I’d sleeve the bolt holes through that square tube to strengthen it. I used ten bronze sleeve bearings from McMaster Carr, 7/16 ID x 9/16 OD x 5/8 long.

Upload

Here, the FAE bracket and the boat’s swim-platform bracket are put together. You can see the sleeves in the tube for the bolts (ie., to prevent the tube from crushing).

Upload

Here is where things got crooked. I didn’t drill straight. I was supposed to make a square frame of tube, with the FAE bracket providing the top rail, a bottom rail coming off the FAE itself, and two loose pieces of tube for me to assemble and bolt between the top and bottom rails with about four inches apart. The bolting would be accomplishes by two 12-inch lengths of all thread (threaded rod). The bottom rail came pre-drilled with two holes in it. I would have to drill two holes in the top tube to match.

I did drill two holes, but not in good of alignment. So since I was going to end up with not a square but a trapezoid, I just dispensed with the two stile tubes (they would only serve as sleeves anyway for the all thread), got some thread lock, a bunch of 5/16ths nuts and lock washers and just tightened things down as you see it. I sleeved the top and bottom rails as I showed before with the other six holes. Trimmed things off and, it’s not perfect but it feels solid, real solid.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (claudiub)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-07-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
Nice work, I haven't had too much luck installing this but figured it out eventually. It's an awesome improvement of the boat. Quiet and clean. Surfing is a pleasure now.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-07-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
Wow, glad mine wasn't that much work but I know the nauti's take a different setup. Good work. Enjoy.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-07-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
It looks great to me! I wouldn't have been able to tell it was a lil crooked it you hadn't mentioned it hehe

Larry has definitly made some awesome custom setups! I just finished installing my FAE on my 87 Supra SunSport. He had to make a much longer set of pipes because my two exhaust outlets were so far apart. It has four supports that connect to the platfom instead of the normal two (for boats with dual outlets). I will post my link when completed. Here's to the silent surfers!

(Message edited by wakemikey on May 07, 2009)
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-07-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
no, not trying to bump this thread, but, for search engine purposes (because these were the keywords that found that other thread), the install above was for a CC SV211
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-07-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
Yikes mine was a 45-1 hour install sure as hell am glad it wasn't like this. Good job!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-07-2009, 11:28 PM Reply   
Nice work JB, looks great, glad you went with the polished like mine. I am sure you will get compliments at the ramp, I do all the time.

Once the platform is back on you won't notice that it's not quite perfect. As seen in my pictures in your link, mine is not perfectly straight either. Nobody has ever noticed or commented that it's not perfect.

The lifting force and shear strength of the bolts is plenty to lift the boat with only 4 bolts. No worries.

Need to get back in there to install my LED underwater light...
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-08-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
Thanks Mike for your kind regards and, no, I never noticed your install was anything less than perfect. I thought it was perfect, and that, it was I who muffed up my own. I guess every installer is his or her own worst critic.

Is this you?

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/4387/686936.html

Good joy man. Good deal.