Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-28-2009, 7:09 AM Reply   
Last season I had my boat (86 sn 2001) in the shop for a tune up and the shop decided that my throttle cable was loose. They tightened it up, but made it so tight that now it sticks and isnt easy to make small adjustments. I have "worked it in" some, but anytime I have a new driver on the boat I am either going 20 or 25+ because it sticks when they go to adjust it. The shop told me this is an easy fix and to just bring it in. The shop isnt exactly close so I was wondering if anyone had any idea or experience on how to make this "simple" adjustment? Thanks in advance!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-28-2009, 10:01 PM Reply   
man there use to be a day where you could ask a question like this and get a ton of good advice, seems like now all people want to do is talk about speakers... luckily I got it figured out, but i wish people would talk more tech stuff and not so much about what boat is better or what speaker sounds better (like both of those havent been discussed enough)
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-29-2009, 6:12 AM Reply   
You are right, I almost never post anymore because of that. I have a different shifter, but I know that my shifter (morse) has a set screw that is under the bezel plate that makes the handle movement a little tighter. It doesn't actually make the cable tighter, just restricts the rotation of the shaft you turn with the handle that pulls the cable. I can't find the docs I downloaded but I did find them on the morse/teleflex website. Here is what I found a minute ago when I looked. This isn't my shifter but looks similar to yours. I looked at it briefly but did not see the same adjustment screw. Take a look.

http://www.downloadingfiles.co.uk/teleflexfiles/library/instructionmanuals/MV2%20Control%20Manual.pdf

Hope that helps!

(Message edited by cyclonecj on April 29, 2009)
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-29-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
thanks man, mine is a morse teleflex too. I found that screw and it turned out the problem was back at the transmission. It had to do with the angle the cable was going into the shifter on the transmission. The guy who rebuilt my transmission didnt put it back in the original spot. Thanks for the post :-)
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-29-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
Which screw are you guys talking about? What does it tighten up? I have issues with my transmission line because there is some play in the action at the throttle.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-29-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
Kevin, glad you got it figured out. I was thinking cable brake under the dash (didn't know Morse had one built in), but that makes sense! Don't ya love it when the shop leaves themselves a little "repeat business"..?

mdizzle, sounds like you have a different issue. The set screw tightens against the throttle cable so that it stays put when you take your hand off the throttle.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-29-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
Ahh, so the set screw is for when your throttle is creeping back to neutral when your driving with your hand off the throttle I take it?

Yah my issue deals directly in some play found in the entire assembly itself. Basically, I can pull on the cable at the transmission line end back and forth about 1/4 of an inch and the throttle knob doesnt move indicating slop in the connection at the throttle end...annoying. I can also do the same by manually pulling on that cable by going behind the throttle assembly (underneath the gunnel) and doing the same.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-29-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
yeah Nacho lol, and I wasnt about to give it back to em! Everything is hard to access in the 2001 throttle so I actually did the whole thing blind by taking my time (4 hours) and playing with each screw and tweaking it little by little. It was nerve racking to say the least and there were a few times I didnt think it would ever be back to normal but I think I got more lucky than anything and got it all working again. One of the screws (which is really a bolt) is on the back side of the throttle dissengage/fast idle pin. The other is on the back side of the shifter itself. I ended up making both of them snug but not tight. With it tight they wouldnt move/ too loose and they would slip and not work. Thank God I had a free day yesterday. I just pray everything works when I go to test it in about an hour. Ill post up and let yall know. Thanks for all the input guys :-)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-29-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
Wow!! You have way more patience than I, sir.. Props to ya. good luck on test run.

MDiz, when i took my engine apart last year, I found a little play in the throttle/shifter cable; it tightened up when I put it back together. Careful messing with the cable at the shifter, your neutral safety switch is there as well. Doesn't take much to get it into/out of adjustment.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-29-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
Yah I am definitely proceeding with Caution Nacho, although my neutral switch is located on the transmission itself though. I guess there is another one inside the throttle assembly as well...I wonder if both require being lined up to start the boat?
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-29-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
well it ran perfect! Clicked in and out of gear perfectly. One good thing about having my transmission rebuilt last summer was that the shifter clicked solidly in and out of gear on its own. So I didnt have to worry about messing anything up. I just adjusted the bracket that held the cable going to the shifter and problem solved! Hope the weather is good tomorrow, because I cant wait to ride!

And I am one of the most impatient people ever but I was determined to fix it on my own. I had motivation though, being right out of college with no money or job, I didnt see paying a shop for something that I could do for free as an option.