Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (jdancho)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-27-2009, 8:23 PM Reply   
I was stopped by the marine patrol today for having our music going. I told the gentlemen that I don't believe there is no sound ordinance on the lake and then handed me a piece of paper stating:

NOISE ORDINANCE
The below information is state law regulating boat noise on Michigan waters:
• A vessel’s engine must have a factory-installed muffler or exhaust system for noise reduction, or another effective muffling system. Vessel operators may not hear sound signals or voices if the engine is not adequately muffled.
• Michigan law states that a vessel’s muffler or exhaust system must prevent noise in excess of:
• 90 decibels at idle from three feet away and...
• 75 decibels measured from on shore.
Regulating excessive watercraft noise is important for everyone’s enjoyment of our waters and will be strictly enforced.

My question to you guys do you think this relates to stereo systems as well.
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-27-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
That information is not pertinent to your radio. They may well have an ordinance related to music, but from the info provided on that form, you're clear (assuming your boat meets the engine/muffler criteria.)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-27-2009, 9:24 PM Reply   
Agreed.... it looks like that is only dealing with exhaust.

If you got a ticket, you could contest that.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-27-2009, 9:40 PM Reply   
Those are pretty reasonable noise levels and the wording in the law, as stated on your paper, indicates the intent. Based on the intent the law would apply. Based on the specific wording the law would not apply as the engine is not making the noise.
It seems to me that a court under common law could rule either way and you should check for court cases that might apply.
It's either the intent or the literal wording that a court would decide.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2009, 10:12 PM Reply   
No way. If he didn't have a dB meter and tested you, you will be clear. That is what they have to do for the engine when testing, if this applys to you, they would need the same testing for the stereo. This won't apply to you, it will just be a waste of your time having to go down there. When you get cleared, keep the documentation in the boat for the next time.
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-08-2013, 9:14 PM Reply   
They do not have to have a dB reading in order to give you that citation. I have received them before and every court I've been to holds to it. As mentioned above the intent of he law is to allow for a reasonable noise level so that you could safely hear your passengers as needed.....a stereo, engine, blow horn, etc. all prevent this; and thus it's unsafe.
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-08-2013, 9:49 PM Reply   
****....I forgot I was browsing archived stuff. Hahahahhaha
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-09-2013, 6:50 AM Reply   
Wet Sounds are great, but they can be exceptionally loud. I live on a river and the sound can really travel. I personally don't mind, but I could imagine that depending on the lyrics, it could be offensive. There is a boat that jams Too Short and every time I am out with the kiddo I cringe a little.