Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2008, 11:20 PM Reply   
I've come to realize that the Super Air Nautique 220 is one of the most sensitive boats when it comes to weight. And by "sensitive" I mean, when I change things up just a little, the wake may change a lot!

I typically roll with factory ballast full, a fly high x series side sac under each of the rear seat compartments (260+ lbs ea.) and I'll put either a half full fat sac (600 lbs when totally full) or I'll just put a few people up there instead...

How do you weight your 220 ???
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-12-2008, 2:04 AM Reply   
We just towed a region comp with the 220, it is a twitchy bastard for sure. The wake can get big but it is inconsistent. The best thing is to learn to ride fast, it keeps the wake more solid and reliable IMO.
Old     (himain10ance)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-12-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
A buddy has one and he put about 500 lbs in the floor around the gas tank. Because it is in center of the boat you dont get the side to side roll. it is also mid ship so it keeps the nose down without being nose heavy
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
I just put a 500 pound bag in the nose and it is more than enough for me but i am still a beginner rider
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-12-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
get some pop product steel shot bags (at least 6-8).

you can move them around the boat to clean up/tune the wake. they also work great for porpoising.
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-12-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
I definitely agree that keeping the speed up makes the wake more consistent. I'll typically ride either a 75 ft line or an 80 ft line, and when i ride 80 its much more consistent.. and of course the im running somewhere around 24 / 25 mph
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-12-2008, 10:46 PM Reply   
This should help you out if you want "pro" sized wake.

http://www.alliancewake.com/article_details.php?id=901&page=5
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-13-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
i will agree that with more ballast you definately need to ride a little quicker. When i ride with people that are a lot better than me and they want a lot of ballast we have needed to ride at 24/25.
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-13-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
Thats an awesome article, and an unbelievable amount of weight!
Old     (wakeskier)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-03-2013, 12:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain10ance View Post
A buddy has one and he put about 500 lbs in the floor around the gas tank. Because it is in center of the boat you dont get the side to side roll. it is also mid ship so it keeps the nose down without being nose heavy
I know this thread is as old as dirt... but do you mean he put 500lbs under the floor, on top of the gas tank?
If so, what did he use? and did he reinforce the gas tank so it wouldn't collapse?
I know there is a fair amount of room there, maybe 6-7" under the entire floor?
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-03-2013, 12:25 PM Reply   
What a coincidence that you would post on this thread today. It's been years since i started this thread, and I've had plenty of time to sort out my wake. Here are my findings:

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...812&page=99999

First thing, make sure you're running the ACME 1235 prop. Fill up your factory ballast system full, fill an integrated nose sac under the bow seats, and tube sac in the ski locker at all times. From there, if you have 6-11 people riding in the boat while you're riding, you're all set... you may need one or two in the bow depending on how many. And using your center seat turned around for spectators, get the heaviest people sitting on that. If you roll with 5 or less, clear your floor space and fill a big fat sac in the center of the floor. I use a fly high 1100 lbs jumbo sac, which fits flush, just takes a little while to fill up. The key with this boat is mid and bow weight with less stern wake. It also performs best when your weight is centered from side to side. I find that it helps the wake clean up better after the rider cuts out. And of course, the lower you get the weight the better. By that I mean, make sure you're utilzing the tube sac and nose sac and other sub floor storage space for weight before you go adding extra weight above the floor. Use the hydrogate lever forward only to plane out, once planed out always have it pulled back. Typically with these settings I've got the pp set at 23.7 - 24 mph using a 78 ft line. If you want to ride slower, just shorten your line a bit and lighten it up.