Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-07-2007, 4:49 AM Reply   
Well, since yesterday morning I have been looking for an alarm for my boat. Shaun called me from the camp and told me that someone came in from the lake hopped in the boat hanging in the lift, and took all the speakers and amps, and destroyed the ignition. I'm assuming they did that so we couldn't chase them if we saw them pulling away. They also took a couple of ropes and handles, as well as 7 full gas cans.

It's pretty crazy because they did a great job. They didn't rip anything out, they took everything out nicely, and even disconnected all the wires instead of cutting them. They must have been down there for several hours. They basically did a complete un-install. The amazing thing is that there were 5 guys staying in our house, and our next door neighbor is a sherriff, and they never saw anything. The cops came out and fingerprinted everything, so hopefully we will get something.

If you here anything about someone trying to unload about bunch of JL audio let a brotha know.

I have looked a bit online and found either alarms for big boats, or if you use a snap cover. But, I only cover the boat if I am going to be gone for few days. Would a regular car alarm work? We are going to install motion lights, and are looking into a video surveillance system, but I wanted something in the boat as well.

Any help is appreciated!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-07-2007, 5:56 AM Reply   
sucks to hear that. But a car alarm will work just fine. I live on a lake too, and quite a few have alarms on their boats. All car alarms.
Old     (planetnautique)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-07-2007, 6:28 AM Reply   
That's so wrong. Ever think about converting the dock to a fully-enclosed locking boathouse? Might be more expensive than it is worth, but the security and protection from the elements might make it worth considering. And then you could put an alarm on the doors of the boathouse and not have to worry about putting an alarm on your boat every year.
Old     (dc15boatman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
I used to run a car stereo shop. You can use any car alarm. I would add a prox sensor. It's like a convertable, break the micro-field, alarm goes off. Consider adding door pins to hatches for extra security. And then the ultimate, Remote Start. Triggered option button to turn on blower, and start the boat from in the lake house
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-07-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
I just bought an alarm for mine yesterday. It's a regular car alarm with 2 aux inputs and a dual stage shock sensor. I have a motion sensor if anyone aproaches the boat, and also a tilt sensor if anyone tries to jack up or lower the boat more than an inch. The install will be very basic, just running some wiring and mounting anything. I had my boat on my buddies lift for a week and I was very worried about the same thing happening to me, luckily it didn't but I wasn't going to take that chance again.
Old     (goodwin)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-07-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
I hate fuggin thieves!
I was looking at buying something from these guys... http://www.boatalarm.com/index.html
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-07-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
That is horrible what those guys did. Everybody's ideas sound really good. The only thing I can think of that hasn't been said is maybe put up some signs around the boat that let them know they are being video taped. Smile your on camera.
Old    bocephus            06-07-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
Forget the alarms, they usually don't work right anyhow.

I installed microcameras with motion sensors around my boat. You can set it so that it depends on the amount of motion going on before it calls, pages or emails you. So far I have caught a cat trying to live in my boat, a neighbor kid looking in into the boat and the mailman looking also. I got mine at Fryes Electronics.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-07-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
If your boat sits in the same place all the time, get a high res infrared or low-light camera, run the line back to your house or even in a storage shed if power is available and hook it to a DVR. If something happens, you can view any activity up to several months, depending on activity. If you have an alarm in your house, install a dual partition panel and have the second in your boat as a disconnecting motion sensor. I'm pretty sure a local alarm guy could figure out the set up. You can go with wireless up to a 100' or so. If you arm the house while the boat is gone, simply leave the second partition off.

Or go with a boat alarm.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-07-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
Camera's are great but what do they help with other than filming the act. You probably won't know the guy anyways, it will probably be dark with very low light or the theif wouldn't strike anyways. I want something that makes noise, wakes me up and gives me time to grab the glock 10mm. I can't wait to check my e-mail for a video feed. 90% of the time I have my boat parked in the garage anyways. I got the alarm for camping, or when I don't feel like pulling it into the garage if I'm taking it out the next morning.
Old    bocephus            06-07-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
My camera system calls and emails me when there is a lot of motion. When I get the call I go home and see what's up.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-07-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
Your camera system only works at your house correct? That's great if you're only worried about your jacked in your driveway under the security camera's.
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-07-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
We bought Theo Ratliff's 2005 x-45 last year from Portland Ski Boat center, after he got traded to the Celtics and Theo had an alarm installed in it. I thought it was pretty silly at the time of our purchase, but have come to appreciate it. Great to have while camping or when dining on the water tied up to a dock. I've watched people lean in to check out the boat. The alarm chirps, and they take a step back. If you are in close proximity to your boat, I would think an alarm would be a great investment. But, if you had it on a dock or in storage all the time, the thieves would probably get away with whatever they wanted and you would have a drained battery to boot once they were gone.
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-07-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
And I have to say... Chris that boat was the best deal and is the sickest boat around. Nice snag.

I have been thinking about the alarm thing too. I park mine in the driveway during the summer alot. I just installed LED's and the control panel for the LED's has a Knight Rider type display. It looks alot like an alarm indicator. I was docked at Newport Bay eating dinner the other night and did see a couple of people peeking in the boat. I overheard one of the people say something about it having an alarm and to stay away.
I agree with your statement that if you arent in close proximity that if idiots are going to steal stuff then they arent going to care if an alarm is present or not.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-07-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
Travis sorry to hear that. Look at the video surveillance systems at costco. they are good ones for the money. I am also thinking of an alarm.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-07-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
Travis sorry to hear that. Look at the video surveillance systems at costco. they are good ones for the money. I am also thinking of an alarm.
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-07-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
Brady,
Where in the heck did you get a Knight rider LED system? That would be SWEET!!! Reminds me of Battle Star Gallactica. Those Cylons still give me nightmares. All I have is one little itty bitty led flashing on top of the dash. I need to get onto your boat and do some looking. LED's are sweet but I know nothing about installation and what the costs are. I would think that they would detour would be intruders for sure (especially if they were hooked up to your alarm). Thanks for the nice comment. Everyone in Portland knows your boat is the pimpest on the Willamette, hands down. Alarm is a must for that boat. I would steal it in a minute.
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-07-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
Hey Chris- What alarm system is in your boat?
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-07-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
Chris. Call Jason at Kingpin Car Audio down in Wilsonville. 503-582-1315 Tell him I sent you. They do sweet work and are pretty reasonable.
Thanks for the comment as well. If we ever get the sun back and you see us out come on over and take a look.
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-07-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
I believe it is a viper alarm system. What part of Laguna Niguel do you live? I spent all my summers as a kid at salt creek county, surfing. Moved to texas for college and was forced to by a boat and learn inland surfing, wakeboarding, skiing. Been doing it ever since. Grandparents lived in Niguel shores. Great memories.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-07-2007, 3:41 PM Reply   
read this blog

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/459500.html?1181255172
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-07-2007, 5:28 PM Reply   
I had video surveillance with audio. I just turned the volume way up. Most of the time you couldn't even hear it but one time it woke me out of a dead sleep when I heard people breaking into my neighbors house at 3:30 a.m.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-07-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
I am about to install a alarm this weekend in my boat with a 130db screaching siren that also has a super bright Red Strobelight and a interior prox sensor trust me no one will be getting into my boat LOL. I will let you know how it goes and I'll show some install pics. I am a dealer for this comapany and they arent that expensive so if it works out and you guys want one let me know.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-07-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
travis, im sorry this is really off topic, but i love your personel quote. "are you okay? that was awesome!" i actually laughed out loud, cause ive heard ppl say that about me soo many times! also, excellent job in the bonus features of updog.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-07-2007, 11:43 PM Reply   
Rick keep us posted sounds great.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-07-2007, 11:50 PM Reply   
I second the thought.

Web cameras and motion detecting lights.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-07-2007, 11:50 PM Reply   
no problem. I am sure it will work really well because I installed the same alarm in my dads tacoma and it has the regular siren and then the horn goes full on. Everyone ignored standard car alarms but when the horn is full on everyone looks hahaha. I will try to take video of it too with the strobe at night
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-08-2007, 3:04 AM Reply   
Rick, I would definitely be interested in that. I am also going to do the motion lights for sure, and am trying to figure the web camera thing out. I may just buy a pit bull that I leave in the boat at night.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-08-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
Get a Pug!! Seriously... a spider farts and my dog is all over it. She thwarted some kids rummaging through the garage one day. I didn't hear a thing. Good luck!
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-08-2007, 6:43 AM Reply   
I have a little toy from radio shack that starts making the most annoying high pitch scream whenever it hears a footstep or anything, it won't quit until the sound stops. It's enough to deter people, I believe. It's a really cheap alternative to a real alarm. Now it can be turned off if someone finds it but if i heard it i would think it was a genuine alarm. It's a good little thing for those who aren't too worried about thieves but just in case.

....or you can get a pit bull which is probably the best idea i've ever heard. haha.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-08-2007, 7:14 AM Reply   
problem with a camera is by the time you realize that your stuff has been stolen they are gone. Cops might eventually catch them but your stuff is likely sold by then and the only thing that it has provided you is a way to watch your stolen in the first place.

You need something to scare them off. Some type of alarm is the only way to do that. Lights will help but they are not fool proof either...
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-08-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
I think that motion flood lights would be key..
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-08-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
I'm with manzo.
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-08-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
I tried motion lights once and every little thing set it off, even the sunrise. Sensitivity adjustment also wasn't solving my problem.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-08-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
I've had motion lights to. The funny thing is they don't stop someone from crawling into your boat and taking your crap.
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-08-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
Rick- I'd be interested in seeing how yours comes out. If it works, sign me up for an install.

Chris- I live off Crown Valley and Golden Lantern. I surf Creek all the time, summer I head down to Strands, a little less crowded and easier to drink a few brews. I've been sneaking into Niguel Shores since Jr. High. to surf Strands, I love that neighborhood.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-08-2007, 4:42 PM Reply   
What would you guys be willing to pay for wireless alarm system? It's do-able as we looked into it a few years ago but technology has come around and it maybe cost effective. Just wondering what price point people are willing to pay not to have to run wiring ect...? It would have all the typical features and only have to wire the main unit. We are workin on it as we speak. Suggestions appreciated/
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-08-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
I am sure there are much better alarm people than me, but a friend of mine added a "special speaker" to his standard car alarm in his boat. The sound was so incredibly painful that you could not stand to be within 10 feet of the boat none the less on the inside. I honestly think it is one of the best deterants I have seen. At 10 feet, you couldn't cover your ears well enough to stay around.
Old    alanp            06-09-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
also consider motion activated lights. light is a very effective crime prevention tool
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-09-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
A working camera in plain view and motion detection lights. I would bet this will keep most crooks away.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-09-2007, 7:17 PM Reply   
ok so fase one has started the alarm is in and the starter disable, horn and all that is already in. Next week will be the proximity sensor, and putting in the red strobe and siren. I got tired since i did a oil change too LOL. hopefully i will have some awesome pics and video of it in action for all of you.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-10-2007, 7:02 PM Reply   
Rick, how much did this alarm system cost? And do you think we could do a group buy on these if enough people were interested?
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-10-2007, 11:09 PM Reply   
I am checking out a couple of proximity sensors and I am sure I can get a group buy, give me a week or so to play with it and check it out and see how it works, and try out some options to give you guys a good alarm. I can say it was pretty easy to install on my boat so far. Now for the proximity sensor. I have not installed a shock sensor because people dont have to break a window to get into you boat but they have to get close to it to steal your stuff. I'm also checkout out a pressure matt that will let you know when someone steps into your boat so it will work great on the water and also some stainless steal pin switches. As for now I have the basic alarm installed with starter kill and on the weekend will be dialing in the proximity sensor.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-10-2007, 11:26 PM Reply   
Rick what's the point of pressure mats if you have a good proximity sensor?
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-10-2007, 11:30 PM Reply   
well the use of a pressure mat is when you leave your boat in the water overnight there wont be too many false alarms or while camping at night it wont be making at ton of noice when someone is walking there dog down a trail or what not it wont make a bunch of noise, but then someone gets into your boat bam it goes off. And with the strobe light and siren man it's going to be like the fourth of july.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-10-2007, 11:35 PM Reply   
Are you talking about a pressure mat instead of a motion sensor then? I really like the idea of the motion sensor, I'm installing an alarm on my boat this week. Just a basic car alarm with a built in shock sensor with a proximity sensor, and a tilt sensor. I don't want someone even getting far enough to get into the boat.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-10-2007, 11:38 PM Reply   
yea I am just trying all of the options out. The prox sensor is good but I have alot of worries about it working if you leave your boat on the water. Pin switches are the best, I believe the alarm I have has a option that I can lock out the shock/prox sensor by hitting the lock button twice. so then just the pin switches will work. I'll keep you updated but I think the whole shaband asside from the pressure mat should be less than 150.00
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-10-2007, 11:41 PM Reply   
That sounds like a good price. That's what I paid for my setup.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-10-2007, 11:50 PM Reply   
nice, what brand did you get? the company I get mine from warranties there brains for life and there tech support is really good, I could get a alarm with all the comprable features for like 99 or less from a less reputable company LOL. I was thinking about a remote start but that is way over kill, but I have a remote start alarm on my car with lcd fm transmitter that works 1000 feet away and that cost me around 200 but no prox sensor or extra pin switches because the car already has pin switches and I didn't feel like a prox
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-11-2007, 12:22 AM Reply   
It's a python alarm.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-11-2007, 12:32 AM Reply   
sweet. Dei i believe makes that alarm. easy to install.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-11-2007, 12:54 AM Reply   
Yup I wanted to stick with DEI because of the aux options I was putting on it were DEI.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-12-2007, 9:08 PM Reply   
Any input on the wireless idea I posted earlier? Is everyone tired of all the wiring issues?
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-12-2007, 9:42 PM Reply   
well the wireless thing is kind of a mute idea since wiring on a boat is super easy and who wants to change batteries LOl. I am working on the prox sensor and the pin switches this weekend so hopefully I will have the final product and price. I'm aiming for 149.99 with the prox and some pin switches, and strobe siren. Nu BU did your dei have a plug and play prox?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2007, 10:56 PM Reply   
Rick I installed the alarm but having issues with the proximiy sensor. It only goes off if you walk up to one side of the boat? Not sure what the deal is, but it's mounted next to a fiberglass wall, maybe that's blocking the signal to that direction. Any ideas, maybe i could run two of the proximity sensors in series or something.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-13-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
is your prox sensor a dual zone or single? also was the prox sensor a plug and play or did you have to wire in where the shock sensor goes? it should be mounted as close to possible in the middle. You may just want to make it interior prox, less false alarms. Or do a pressure mat. Cars have windows which help the prox sensor. boats do not.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
It was a plug and play. I have it as close to the middle as I possibly could. It is a dual zone, it's the DEI 508D.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-13-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
I didnt want to say it before but I have had alot of problems with dei stuff. its nice that everything is plug and play but some of there stuff is not up to par. Is the sensor a automatic adjusting one that you just touch the wire to ground to set the zone or one you use a screwdriver to adjust the potentiometer?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
You use a screw driver to set the two zones.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-13-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
ok. so just play with that. I just talked to tech support and the problem with using prox sensors on boats is the hull is fiberglass and sometimes the signal goes right through the hull. Try just using it for inside prox. Your floor is made of corogated metal so it can play havok with the sensor too. Concentrate on getting the inside prox to work then go for the outside. worse comes to worse dont hook up the outside (cut the outside prox wires)
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       06-13-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
just joining so I see when this is updated. Friends' stereo got yanked and i'm on the same lake :-( Looking for ideas or a group buy
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-13-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
im doing a final install this weekend and will have hopefully a final product by monday. I'm still at the 149.99 projected price.
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-13-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
Travis that sucks!!!!
A guy on my lake just got his stereo and amps jacked too. I can't belive they even took your gas. Scum bags!!!!
I only know of people using car alarms.
Group buy everyone!!!!!!
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-13-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
Travis that sucks!!!!
A guy on my lake just got his stereo and amps jacked too. I can't believe they even took your gas. Scum bags!!!!
I only know of people using car alarms.
Group buy everyone!!!!!!
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-14-2007, 1:13 AM Reply   
dont even worry I got the wakeworld special coming as soon as I test it out to make sure it is tried and true. I hate getting things jacked and like to take all precautions, I will keep you updated after this weekend's install
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-14-2007, 3:33 AM Reply   
Pressure's on rick! I'm anxious to see how this all works. We have a group of folks up here in upstate NY who keep our wakeboard boats at a club in slips and on mooring balls that are certainly in need of some sort of alarm system. It's only a matter of time before we get jacked too. I could easily see six or more of needing this same sort of thing.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-14-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
wow the pressure the pressure LOL. No prob guys I will come through. I am hoping to have video of the system in action too :-)
Old    ausbill32            06-14-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
Anyone heard of this company before?

http://desertsecurity.com/products
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-14-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
nope. but that is alot of very big sensors LOL. hang em on the tower and they will look like the security cameras at walmart LOL
Old     (pessy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-14-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
Jason we have a interest as well, keep us all posted.
Old     (nriched)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-15-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
We put a remote start 2way paging alarm in this X2. There are sensors on the storage compartments and there is a shock sensor. When the alarm is triggered the siren goes off and the tower lights flash. proximity sensors are unreliable. They can't be used with a cover and the field size can change in the heat. Why the remote start...Why not?Upload
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-15-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
yea prox sensors dont work well I agree but who knows it just might LOL. remote start ehhhhh I wouldnt do it on a boat, not a good idea you never know LOL but I do have it on my 5 speed car LOL even worse of a idea hahaha
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-15-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
all you really need is a watch dog and a 30/30... That should cover your problems...

Sorry to hear about that Travis. Thieves suck.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-15-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
rich, does the alarm let you shut the shock sensor off with the key fob?
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-15-2007, 8:55 PM Reply   
ok guys tomarrow is the day for the final install and test. This is what I have came up with that I think will be a great package. Standard issue alarm with starter kill, dual stage shock sensor, 2 remotes. I am also including dual zone radar sensor (you will have to diode isolate if using it with the shock sensor, most of the time you only use one or the other) 105db siren with red strobe lights (you will get lots of attention) and also the regular 6 tone siren. I am also including 3 pin switches of your choice, side mount, streight mount, with or without brackets. I am also going to have them pre wired with a ground wire. The alarm comes with a manufacturers lifetime warranty on the brain. this alarm will start at 149.99 Additional sensors etc. will be nominally more. Also I am going to offer other base alarms like ones with remote start. I am working on the website and will have video tomarrow night of the alarm in action. I plan to have it for sale on the market by sunday night with the paypal check out. The alarms will ship out thursday ups ground. Well I'm off for now to build the new website :-)
Old     (nriched)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-15-2007, 9:26 PM Reply   
Yes. You can shut down zones, (sensors)with the remote. I can tell you from alot of experience with alarms to use a brand name system. DEI, Autopage. They are more reliable, user friendly and install friendly. The tech support will be better as well. By the way. If you have not installed an alarm before,(for you do it your selfers) I would suggest having a shop do it. Trouble shooting alarms can be difficult and frustrating. Again I would suggest against the proximity sensors. I speak from experience.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-15-2007, 9:31 PM Reply   
I like autopage but not so much dei. For boats I would say the alarm is alot easier for than a car but you do some what need to know what you are doing. This i definately agree with. I never installed a alarm and I did it in the tacoma, it did take me 6 hours but I did it LOL :-) The boat took me 2 hours, yes im a amature LOL.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-16-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
ok guys I finished the install.... Prox sensors are not very easy to tune in but settles for just using the exterior prox so when someone gets really close or in the boat it uses the warn away chirp. I think the shock sensor would be a better fit. The siren with strobe is pretty loud but not so bright. I am offering the alarm in two packages. One is the basic with shock sensor, starter kill, all that stuff with 3 pin switches that you choose from either stright through mount, side mount, or surface mount. It will come with 40 feet of red wire and 40 feet of black wire 16 guage to hook up your pin switches, Some velcro so you can mount your unit if you have a flat surface that you can mount it to you wont have to use screws, wire ties, and a pack of different connectors that you will need to do the job. The brain is warrantied for life as long as you dont get it wet. . . this package is 129.99. If you want to add a prox sensor (you have to diode isolate it is you want to use it with the shock sensor) that system is 149.99. I am also offering Lcd alarms that work 1,000 feet away, with remote start and those are 299.99 same lifetime warranty and they come with the 3 pin switches and all the accesories above except the prox. prox is a additional 15.00. If you are interested in this package because it is a wakeworld special please email me at mkperceptionsvw@yahoo.com my main website is mkperceptions.com but we are branching off now into two sites, one stricktly for marine products that we like and find work well.
Old     (jgrunow)      Join Date: May 2004       06-17-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear about that Travis. That sucks.