Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old    nething2blind            10-26-2005, 6:19 PM Reply   
Hey everyone
I am trying to locate lakes that I can rent out or become a member to. I am trying to stay between fresno and mexico. does anyone have any info. I always go to Paradise but they wont let me rent the deep lake stuck to a 6 ft lake instead of 15.
Old    nething2blind            10-26-2005, 6:23 PM Reply   
anyone
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-26-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
dude mabey you should give people more than 5 minutes to respond. come back tomorrow to see what people said
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-27-2005, 1:25 AM Reply   
vail...
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-27-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
ryan, there are a series of lakes outside of the bakersfield area towards arvin, I don't know if they are time shared or not, but it might be worthwhile to check on
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-27-2005, 8:51 AM Reply   
La county has two lakes that the rent out for events.
http://parks.co.la.ca.us/regionaparks.html
# 4 is Frank Bonelli Park. I believe it runs around $1,600 for the day
(They close it to all others)

The other lake is #7 Castaic (they only rent out the lower lake)
Hope this helps
David
Old     (jzd)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-27-2005, 9:06 AM Reply   
Horton Lakes rents out one of thier lakes,They are at the 15 & 40 split.I just dont know if it's for slalom only.They have been in business for a long time,they might be of some help finding a place.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-27-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
Horton lakes is very shallow. They don't rent to wakeboarders either.
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-27-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
One of my students family owns a bunch of lakes that they offer memberships on and rent out and they even have some for sale right now. The kid is only in seventh grade so he does not know much. Let me know if you want more info. He said that some are near the Salton Sea.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       10-27-2005, 10:42 AM Reply   
There is Wolf lake out in fresno. I don't know anything about it, I just know of it cuz one of my buddies that lives in fresno is a member and he wakeboards there.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-27-2005, 12:38 PM Reply   
Wolf Lake in Fresno as has been mentioned
Ski West has some lots
Banana George Lake in Arvin
Wet Set- same area
Ironwood- same area
Horton as well has been mentioned
There's a lake out by Temecula i've heard about as well

I think there's probably close to 30-50 private lakes between Fresno & Mex- Good luck
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-27-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
wolf lake in fresno is bad ass!
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       10-27-2005, 3:01 PM Reply   
Ski West actually has no more lots for sale..bummer
Old     (greg__s)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-27-2005, 3:26 PM Reply   
Mad Child - Vail stinks dude, I wouldn't advise anyone to go there. Plus they charge an arm and a leg!
Old     (jzd)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-27-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
Hey Joe,any contact info on Wolf lake ? Thanks
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-27-2005, 4:04 PM Reply   
I second Greg . VAIL LAKE SUCKS. Its super expensive, and it blows out all day and there are always a ton of people on it.

STAY AWAY!!!
Old    nething2blind            10-27-2005, 4:31 PM Reply   
ive done wet set its ok. they dont like me b/c i ride off their ramp and them yell and complain even though I dont ride with fins. Ski west and the other 7 lakes out their are to shallow. i think 4 to 5 feet.\who has wridden wolf. hows that what are the prices for the day.
Old     (jimmysq)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-27-2005, 4:52 PM Reply   
i have been riding the carlsbad lagoon (salt water) they sell a pass down there for the yr. You have to get your boat approved with the city of carlsbad first but i think it is worth it. Josh has got that place into shape in the last year. www.carlsbadlagoon.com/
Old    trickskisrock            10-27-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
Ryan - The lakes Brian is talking about are located in Mecca, about 30 miles south of I-10 on Hwy 111. They are pretty shallow.We've run wakeboard boats in there before, but you kick up a lot of mud. Water conditions are always great. Really almost no one ever there. On the flip side, the lakes are pretty primitative. If anyone is interested, the site is for sale. He's asking 1.5M for the entire lot which includes 2 lakes and 3 slalom courses.
Here's a picture if you're interested.
http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=11&x=1468&y=9277&z=11&w=1

Some other thoughts are:
Ironwood Lake in Arvin, CA - memberships available
Sunset Ranch in Mecca, CA - memberships available
Great Lakes in Newberry Springs, CA - lake rentals and memberships available
Note all of these lakes are tournament lakes where the average depth is in the range of 4-7 ft. They all probably have fairly differing policies regarding wakeboard boats and use of ballast. Except for the the West? Lake at Paradise (the one with the jump ramp), this will be true for nearly all private lakes you will find. Water is just too dang expensive to build a manmade 12' deep ski lake.
Good luck with your search.
A.J.
Old    trickskisrock            10-27-2005, 5:29 PM Reply   
Brian - If you ever want to see some amazing trick skiing (even by wakeboarder standards) you should get out one day with Kirk and his dad. Kirk shreds it up on his trick ski. Not to mention he's one of the coolest kids I've met. Tell him I said hi.
A.J.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-27-2005, 5:36 PM Reply   
jerry, sorry, i don't have contact info for wolf lake. they're in clovis (or sanger) though, so you might want to search that area online somewhere.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-27-2005, 6:20 PM Reply   
ya, wolf is killer they have a deeper lake just for wakeboarding. I also don't think the yearly fees are that bad. You get good water all the time and don't haft to deal with other wakes. Its a win win I would join if it wasn't so far from me.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-27-2005, 7:29 PM Reply   
Ski West actually dug out one of the lakes-
It's around 8'-10' now- the wakes were great at the INT Championships...... FYI

Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-28-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
If you want to go farther north. Villa Lagos in Red Bluff is were Nor-Cal WWA and INT have many of there events. They have a wake lake with sliders and a kicker and a ski lake with regulation and novice buoys. They do rent it out form time to time.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-28-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
The lakes in Mecca are wayyyyy primative. Last time I was there it was real difficult just to ski there because of the short set ups. Wakeboarding on a long rope would probably be out of the question on those lakes. There is also the Channel at Elsinore, available on a per use basis.