Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (gatorhator)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-13-2005, 1:24 PM Reply   
so it is looking like ill be in Columbus, OH this time next year. Is there any where to ride around there? Any lakes to live on? Or should I just sell my boat and find a tall building?
Old     (snead)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-13-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
www.wakeboardohio.com
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-13-2005, 1:37 PM Reply   
what up snead? longtime no speak....never got those stickers and stuff. holla at me.
-Nate-O
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-13-2005, 1:40 PM Reply   
The wakeboard scene here is surprisingly big. I moved here a year ago and bought a boat. There's about 4 lakes/reservoirs all within 20-30 mins. of each other. You'll want to avoid these Sat. & Sun. afternoon, but its great other than that. I go to Griggs Reservoir (twice a week) or O'shaunessy (sp?) occasionally. Neither of these places allow tubers or jet skis.

After work, you'll find wakeboarders (35%), slalom skiers (slalom course on both places 15%), and fisherman (50%). Everyone respects each other because we have to. Each are only about 6 miles long and 200-300 yards wide. It can get a little crowded at times. The Griggs reservoir has lots of canoers, and Crew team practice, so the driver must pay attention to them. They are really good about staying along the shore though. Don't sell your boat, plenty of people to find ride. We have a great local dealer who carries Nautiques, Malibu, and Mastercraft. They support the local boarders & skiers very well.
Old     (gatorhator)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-13-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
That is great news I was thinking that I was about to take a 2 year break from the water, and since i am part fish that could be fatal.

Are there any decent lakes around that have houses on them? I am going to be loooking for a house up there close enough to downtown to be able to get to work and back in a reasonable time. Also who is the local dealer I'd love to call them and get the scoop.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-13-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
If your in the millions of $ you can own property on Griggs or O’Shaunessy, walk out the back door hop in your boat and go boarding. Both Griggs and O-Shaunessy are great for boarding. Griggs is 5 minutes from my work .

West of Columbus there's a small private lake with in commuting distance “Lake Chachtau” (spelling), east of Columbus and within commuting distance a larger public lake “Buckeye Lake”. Both of these lakes will have more reasonable property values, but I won’t hazard a guess though.

There are other public lakes within easy trailer range including Alum Creek, Delaware Lake, Lake St. Mary’s, and Indian Lake. You can own property in St. Mary’s and Indian but they’d be too far to commute. You can’t own water front on Alum or Delaware. Another private lake, but probably too far to commute “Apple Valley.”

Chris, I get out to Griggs on Tuesdays and Thursdays see you out there.
Old     (gatorhator)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-13-2005, 6:39 PM Reply   
Well it will be next year before I get there. But i am glad to see there are places to go. About how long is the season? (with and without a wetsuit)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-13-2005, 7:54 PM Reply   
I sold my old I/O and bought new v-drive this year so I couldn’t wait to start the season. We got out this year in April with >40C water temps and low 50C air temps, most of us were in shortys – and one guy with no wet suit. I usually board up to October. I usually end the season when I see a hard freeze coming to protect my engine.

So your going to graduate from the University of Florida with an MBA next year and the job is in Columbus?
Old     (gatorhator)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-14-2005, 5:12 AM Reply   
Well kinda sorta, My wife works for Nationwide Insurance and we are moving up there after I graduate. So Ill be working there somewhere not sure where yet though?
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-15-2005, 10:34 AM Reply   
Edward - I see you out there all the time (just looked at your pic in your profile). You'll usually find us in the slalom course half the time, then wakeboarding the other half. I was out last night, it was great, the place was empty. (Griggs) I'm usually out on Sunday, Monday, and Thursday.

UF_MBA - Like Edward said, unless you have about 2 Million dollars, you won't find a house on Griggs. Eric Clapton used to have a house on this part of the river (it looks like a hotel). Look in areas of Grandview, Upper Arlington, Hilliard, for places to stay. (Are you renting or buying?) These three places are a 5-15 minute drive from downtown and Griggs.
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-15-2005, 10:36 AM Reply   
Oops - the dealer is www.midohiowatersports.com
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-15-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
Wish this thread would have popped up a couple of weeks ago. We were in Columbus for a wedding and every body of water we passed was a sheet of glass all day long.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-15-2005, 6:48 PM Reply   
I think that the Eric Clapton - Girl friend house was an unsubstantiated rumor. The house that the radio station thought Eric had bought was the one with the huge Ronald McDonald style play ground in the back yard. That place is worth about $12M.

Chris I don't last long enough on a slalom ski to enjoy it that much any more, hence the wakeboarding. I had business travel this week see you out there next week.

Melissa next time you’re here (like you’d leave San Diego to come here very often) I'm sure you could find someone to ride with.

Oh... and above a messed up the water temps they should be in F not C.
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-15-2005, 6:51 PM Reply   
Edward - thanks for the clarification. I've lived in Columbus a little longer than a year now, so I'm not surprised to hear thats a rumor. Either way, I can see that house being worth $12 Million, its ridiculous.