Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-18-2008, 6:43 AM Reply   
One of my winter projects I'd like to get done is to move my Kicker Solobaric 10" L5 behind the driver seat on my X2 as in the picture below. My question is do I only need to just cut out the hole and install the sub or do I need to build a box around it under the seat? Thanks for the help.

Upload
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-18-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
It needs a box for sure. I am not sure which, but often in one of its years of production, the x2 has had the heater tubing running through the same area. I think we have actually built the box around the vent hose for the heater.....
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-18-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
FYI the boat in question is the new X2. I dont have a heater in my boat but I may add one soon. Should that be a consideration during the install? If building the box is necessary I probably should take it to the pros?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-18-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
Adam,

Yes, your Kicker sub positively needs an enclosure.

You can seal the box to the interior of the seat console allowing you to front load the driver and grill into the gelcoat. It’s no picnic sealing the driver and box. This woofer creates a lot of internal pressure.

The alternative is to mount the box and driver inside and independent of the exposed surface. In this case you’ll need to cut an opening for a separate vent or grill. If you use the Kicker grill for example as a vent, you’ll have to fabricate a trim ring to fit the raw edges of the opening. Or, we can supply you and your installer with a billet 10-inch slotted vent ($65.00). Email info@earmarkcaraudio.com.

David E.M.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-18-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
David,
Do you have any pics of this type of install inside the seat console? That would help me to visualize what needs to be done.

Thanks,
Adam
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-18-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
Adam,

In our installation gallery there is a Tige’ 24V (clear as a bell…) that shows a 12-inch slotted billet vent. The 10-inch version shares the identical pattern. With this approach you can mount the sub enclosure independently and oriented in any direction.

In contrast there is a SeaRay 270 Sundeck that received an 8-inch woofer in the bow and 10-inch woofer in the cockpit. Both woofers used a waterproof polyurethane-coated enclosure that was mounted to and sealed up against the fiberglass console.

Hope this helps.

David E.M.
www.earmarkcaraudio.com
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       11-18-2008, 11:28 PM Reply   
why dont you leave that one and put the other 10 under the dash thats wat we had done we left that 10 and put a 12 under the dash!
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-19-2008, 6:53 AM Reply   
Mike, I only have one sub and thats the 10". I thought putting it behind the driver seat would keep it out of the way with less chance to damage it. Plus I may be installing a heater soon and thats where I imagined mounting the heater core.

Please share your thoughts though, I'm certainly not set on it. I am exploring all options. My main objective is to free up the space under the flip up seat.