Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-20-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
It's good to see the progression with WakeKite. First, the airs on video didn't look bigger than what you could do regular wakeboarding (albeit with a much softer landing). Now, the latest video posted on youtube shows the real possiblities. There's lots of good stuff in this video, but most notable is a rider clearing the fun box at the last stop of the Pro Tour at Blue Lake. We're talking a jump of, by my esimation, at least 100'! Seriously sick!
See the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB5H8wxkvWg
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-20-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
I'm sorry, this just doesn't look appealing to me.

And I'm not sure why, but I think it has something to do with the fact that it appears to take all the skill and fun out of wakeboarding. Now, I know someone is going to complain about me saying this, but really...look at it. I think the part of this video that sealed the deal was the guy doing the half-raley, then swinging forward, like the kite was just carrying him around. Sure, lots of air is cool, but how is it fun if you have absolutely nothing to do with it (minus a hard cut)? Plus, the trick variety seems really limited...what you see is what you get.

I don't want to rag too much on the skill level because I haven't tried it, and also because a trick skier was telling me the same thing last week (Wakeboarding isn't fun because there is no skill involved...). But, that was my gut reaction. I just can't see myself getting into it, not to mention the ridiculous price. I think for now, I will stick to my low-flying stunts.
Old     (chris_williams)      Join Date: May 2007       09-20-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
If they went alittle faster I bet they wouldn't have to come down. Step up to para sailing!
Old    K.B.C.            09-20-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
Seriously, do you own stock in the wakekite?

Still lame, IMO
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-20-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
It's something new to experience behind a boat . . . if you have the money, and want to try it, go for it . . . It looks like fun to me, and I doubt it will ever be a substitute to wakeboarding . . . but, rather be a compliment to it, similar to surfing and wakeskating.

I'm always amazed at how negative people react to new ideas and/or concepts. That same mentality resisted snowboarding, years ago . . . how wrong they were.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-20-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
That looks almost as much fun, if not more fun, than the air chair and wakesurfing combined! If they could combine the thrill of kneeboarding, I'd be in....
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-20-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
looks fun, i'd like to try it...
Old     (nywake88)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-20-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
It's cool but I dunno, I'd rather just go kitesurfing on the ocean and wakeboard on the bay
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-20-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
G to the A to the Y
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-20-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
Hhahaah Agree J-Rod, just dosent do anything for me!!
If I want to fly 100+ feet, I'11 just jump on my dirt bike.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-20-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
I think it looks kind of cool. I am not going to go buy one but I would give it a try. Definetly not a replacement for wakeboarding but a fun alternative.
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-20-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
Are you kidding? No skill involved? From what I've seen of other people's wakekite video postings, there is definite skill in getting the kind of air seen on this latest vid.. I think the latest vid is from the mfg.

As always though, there's a lot of people judging the book by what they think is the cover. ala snowboarding, wakeskating, etc. Funny to see people knock new ideas though. Of course, without new ideas, we'd still be playing with rocks and sticks for fun.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-20-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
it looks like fun... the kinda fun like, i do that twice a summer and its fun, but not worth $1500... i think it'd be fun to float around in the air

but for however much it costs, its not worth the amount i'd use it and the tricks you can do with it
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-20-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
There's just no style to it. You jump, and then just hang there, while you wait to hit the water again. It looks slow and boaring.

Besides..Shapiro went that big without a kite.
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-20-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
Check the part where the rider is behind a jet ski... looks like the kite would pull hard on the ski.. but it's working on the vid. Nice if you can ride behind a ski and not a boat.

I don't know how boring it looks to go that big. I guess Shaprio knows what it feels like, but what about the rest of us??
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-20-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
I think that they would be great to learn Raleys without the hard falls.

Have you noticed that every boat shop has tons of them lately?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-20-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
Ya Shapiro Definately knows what it feels like... and all the back problems to prove it. At least the wake kite will make these pains nearly nominal.

I don't want to sound like i have all my money on wakekite or anything, but REMEMBER it is only in its infancy... of course you cant do a whole lot with it... i mean tricks. What could anyone do with a skurfer mind you

The limitation of tricks comment comes up every time and i think it needs to stop. Think how easy it would be to add a rotator cup construction to the handle that would open up the trick variables wide open. OK, think of a BMX bike for example. The handle bars can be spun endless times without the brake-lines tangling. If you install a similar thing on the wake kite handle then a rider could spin and flip to his/ her content without worries of kite line function.

just wait for the future of wake kite... it may still appear to take skill out to some, but there wont be trick limitation complaints. guarantee... that is if the market stays open for it long enough to get there.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-20-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
too emphasize the future of possibilities in the trick repertoire or "effortless skill-less tricks"... if you prefer, i see riders feeling what it is like to do 1080's and 1440's and maybe 1800's in wkekites future. ;)
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-20-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
LMAO with you Jarrod.....G to the A to the Y!!!
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-20-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
jeremy, why should we not talk about the limitation of tricks? just because they may or may not figure out how to do more tricks in the future doesn't mean we shouldn't be disapponited with the trick list now

thats a horrible argument on your part no offense...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-20-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
Why wouldn't I just take up kiteboarding? They go just as big with no boat.

Whutup Brandon.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-20-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
j. rod you hit it. that sport was made to have somthing to do when the surf was blown out. it worked its way inland to the bay and to big bodies of water that are blown most of the time. as a surfer i dislike them. because it means the surf is blown out. have i done it? yes. do i like it? no. its boring. you get some decent speed and can get some air off a set wave but i would rather be surfing, real surfing. and now this combo thing has to stop. why are people trying to slop everything in to one sport. to make money thats why. leave it alone. if its blown out at the lake. sure hit it up. the point of the sport is to feel the power of the wind. its almost an insult to the guys that really kite surf , what their doing. there is no skill. i do give props to the true kite surfers, because its f--ing sketchy. try flying a 8 meter kite in 20+ knot winds it will rip you on your a--. but to each his own and no one can tell them not to do it.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-20-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
I'll I saw on that video were Raley's and big unstylish tricks that didn't even have any grabs. I'd be grabbin the hell out of it!!

I'm doing well man, what about yourself? How's the baby? How's the riding coming along?
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-20-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
Yes, the tricks are somewhat limited by the handle now.. they should build a spinning one!! However, there are some tricks you can do that you can't do wakeboarding. For example, using the kite to air out and then return to that same wake; much like in kiteboarding. I can see that being done. There's some crossover, and some limitations when you compare with wakeboarding, as well as kiteboarding; but remember, this is NOT wakeboarding but rather a new thing. Plus, you can ride with just about anything I'd guess (combos, etc.).

It's a new thing that is early in its launch with TONS to be discovered. The progression in videos already shows this. Agreed that the limited tricks are a valid point at this stage, when compared direclty with wakeboarding, but not nearly as limited as people think. Kiteboarding is also limited by having enough wind...with this, you can rip anytime you want with a little gasoline! I can see kiteboarders digging this on days the wind doesn't cooperate; however, not as a full replacement.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-20-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
If I only had a waverunner... I would deff. buy a wakekite!!!

lol
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-20-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
sure its cool to f-around and have fun, but to take this thing serious is bs. its a gimic that wont make it. the day there is a pro wake kite tour bring a umbrella becaus its gonna being rainy pig $*#^
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-20-2007, 3:50 PM Reply   
some of you guys are way too cool! it's gay blah blah blah...I'm too cool for that! a lot of you guys sound really arrogant. I think it looks fun and I applaud anyone who thinks of new and inventive ways to have fun.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-20-2007, 3:52 PM Reply   
I agree that the kite is not worth the $1500.00 to buy and you would probably get board of it pretty quick but I still think that would be fun to get some of that big lofty air. I wouldn't want one myself but at the same time I would try it if I had the chance.

I just think it's funny how people are so quick to judge because I'm sure if you tried it and got that amount of air you would have a smile on your face when you got back in the boat...even if it only happened the first time.
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-20-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
The price is down for this year I think.. gotta find out the new price, plus, the smaller kite on the vid looks cool for smaller folks...probably costs less too..?? Anyone on the prices for this year?
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-20-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
Hell, I'll give it a go!

It's like a moped or a fat chick, fun to ride till your friends see you on it...
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-20-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
'First, the airs on video didn't look bigger than what you could do regular wakeboarding'

I saw the video they came out with last year, and this one. Everything looks the same. Lame. They couldn't do any tricks (except a raley to float for 5 seconds), and the same for this video. I don't see any progression on this thing. Its just like the hydrofoil. You can do about 5 tricks max on it. Even if the sport did progress to bigger tricks, people will still want to wakeboard because it actually requires some sense of skill.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-20-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
seems like cheating.

I love wakeboard cause of the simple fact you get broke off. Getting slammed rules! I the good words of the Vandall, "If I can walk at fifty I wasnt trying hard enough."

J-rod Nailed IT!
Old     (garman)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-20-2007, 7:33 PM Reply   
All these negative comments are absolutely amazing. Don't you have anything else better to say? If you don't like it (or don't think you would like it), just don't do it.. and be quiet. But don't knock others for trying it. Is that so difficult? But that is just my opinion... sorry for venting.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-20-2007, 7:33 PM Reply   
I love how the dude throws a raley comes down from it and is just hang there. hahahaahah lame
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-20-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
YA! ITS GAY! we should tell everyone that's thinking of new and innovative ways to have fun on the water not to bother because it will automatically be gay.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-20-2007, 7:48 PM Reply   
chad if the only time people opened there mouths was to say something nice, life would be pretty dang boring. welcome to the real world, positive and negative feedback. it just so happens this product is getting slammed on here. this is wake world not wake kite world. and i will bet someone from that company will read these reviews, + or -, that is what will help any company to know who to target as potential buyers. and obviously w.w. as a majority will not be a great source of potential customers. this forum is for good and bad. its slander that we cant or shouldnt deal with. and im yet to see that about this company on this thread. bashing the sport and the style is not slander. bashing their business practice without proof is. so let your positive comments roll out, were all ears and open for opinions.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-20-2007, 8:50 PM Reply   
Maybe saying that "trick limitation comments need to stop" was a little strong, more or less i think there are a lot of closed minds out there without imagination of possible potential. of course the trick variables are minimal now... that is obvious. it doesn't take much to point out flaws. I'd prefer some constructive criticism for a change, especially when most people have not even tried it on here.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-20-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
Typical WW comments...in the negatives! NEVER judge a book by it's cover.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-20-2007, 10:33 PM Reply   
I really don't get all the strongly negative comments. Usually I believe that haters have a right to air their grievances but you guys sound lame.

All the negative comments sound like what skiers said about skurfing and wakeboarding when they were first coming out. No style, no finesse, or the truly descriptive "G to the A to the Y." (Woah, J-Rod thinks it's gay? I better go cover myself in CWB stickers to ward off the effects of seeing that video.)

It looks like it's about having fun and getting lots of air time. If eventually it develops its own tricks and styles then hurray, wakeboarding has brought us another skill based sport, like wakeskating and wakesurfing! If not then it's another way for people to just have fun.

This doesn't threaten our sport. It doesn't look like my kind of thing but I certainly wouldn't mind trying it out.

Funny that Ryan, a guy that could, or maybe still can ride better than anyone here, seems to think it looks like fun.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-21-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
Don't take it personal. I think Wakesurfing is a waste of gas too. It's just my opinion. It doesn't look fun FOR ME.

I shouldn't have gone there with the style thing. You're right about skiers picking on boarders back in the day. But, I see this as being more on the level of tubing than a new boardsport. It is one more activity on the water, and I'm sure people enjoy it.

Josh, don't forget to slap a couple of CIE stickers in there too.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-21-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
CIE Stickers? One of you guys would have to actually follow throgh with sending some out for someone to put them on something.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-21-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
dood, they're sitting on my desk with a list of addresses. Work is so intense; I dare not take care of anything personal until the 4th quarter.

I swear they're coming.
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-21-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
Ahhh yes, C.I.E. is an industry guy...stickers and all. Surely he's not a stockholder of WakeKite. That is obvious.

Once again, I applaud the innovators and de-plaud the naysayers! For me, I did try this thing, and it was wicked! Just my experience of course.

Give something a try before you judge. It's what's wrong with the world today; too much judgement, too little real examination. That is what is G to the A and Y (if such things have to be said)!!
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-21-2007, 11:01 AM Reply   
Hey looks like fun, and a lot less painfull. I agree, it should be seen as a compliment to wakeboarding and less harsh on the body for those who may be older or somewhat timid.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-21-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
J-Rod, I thought CIE and CWB are the same thing. (totally messing with you)

I agree that it will likely never develop it's own style but the unkind words hit too close to home as a wakeboarder. None of the haters have tried it so it just sounds like silly juvenile hate.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-21-2007, 11:24 AM Reply   
I don't see why you couldn't do spins with it. Are you attached to the kite or something? Will the lines get in the way of passing the handle? I think that this could be a great way to learn new tricks without taking hard falls. I freaking hate taking a fall that makes my head spin and not feeling like riding for the rest of the day.
Old     (xbar)      Join Date: May 2003       09-21-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
I personally can't wait until someone brings these out to the Delta. It will be nice to see someone land on the levee and completely block the rest of the slu with their kite, rope, and boat.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-21-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
Screw the 1080 if they improve the kite some a 2160 would be no problem at all lol but until they make more improvements I'm not gonna spend that much money on one
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-24-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
there is a video some where with a guy doing a 360 with the present model of kite, but the method of doing is different... the handle does not rotate/ spin... think of doing a 360 on the monkey bars and you will get the idea.... BUT with future upgrades which are sure to come out, the handle will then be able to spin. I cant wait for the day.

I think that even the biggest hater could enjoy the kite (even at its present development) even if it were just for one run and then maybe get board of it, but think of all the people who can benefit from it. There are lots of people with injuries who would benefit GREATLY and also pansies like myself, who woul;d love to use it as an aid to get the nerve to try raileys (even if they look nerdy)... while bashing the kite, dont forget to point out its potential. Constructive criticism friends.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-24-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
i want to see someone get stuck in a tree or something... gosh those things are so lame
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-25-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
They have a new, smaller kite that allows riders to do handle passes, do easier grabs, etc. The kite is not on their website yet...but you can read about it in their News section, where it talks about the video. Apparently there was a lot of interest to ride from kids, ladies, etc., and the current kite was too big. So...for the full-sized adult, on the smaller kite, you can do more traditional tricks. Until the spinning handle comes out..this may be the ticket to opening up tricks further. Saw some guy on youtube using one of the small kites---how the H&#L did he get that!!
Old     (cremeikas)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-25-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
Why not just kiteboard?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-25-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
Why not just fly a handglider?
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-25-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
Why not just try it if you want, don't if you don't want to? I hate people who bash products without trying them first, so narrow minded. I for one think it could be some fun to go along with wakeboarding, not to replace it.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-25-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
Yea, it would be fun to try it a few times. I would never see doing it full time and actually trying to progress at it. It would definately be fun for people who don't plan on wakeboarding much, but would like to go big.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-25-2007, 4:33 PM Reply   
hmmm... these sound a little familiar...

"why not just surf?" said the surfer to the early wakeboarders. "using a boat to pull you, how lame, takes the skill out of it"

"why not just slalom?" Said the skier to the early wakeboarders. "seems the skiboard is just a wider ski to make things easier"
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-25-2007, 4:47 PM Reply   
Leo and Jeremy, well said and I agree with both of you.
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-25-2007, 11:15 PM Reply   
How does a freestyle motocross rider hooked to hang gliding gear sound? About as G to the A to the WHY? As wake-kiteboarding.

It's like discounts and hookers, they just don't go together!
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-26-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
Jerm I. Side --- Have you tried it yet? Or, are you so sure it sucks, that you'll never try? Sounds like a recipe for a stagnant life.

Just keep an open mind. Bash it once you try it; if you truly don't have a giant smile on your face!
Old     (h2o_junkee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-26-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
Well put Randy. I tried it and had a blast. Definitely won't give up wakeboarding for it but it's something fun to mess around with every once in a while. I can't get 15+ foot airs on my wakeboard....probably never will.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-26-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
I don't think I would like it, but I could use it as a training tool. That extra bit of loft so you can go for the raley w/o having to eat it a bunch of times. Or when working on a tweaked out grab, you have more time to really stretch it and feel the proper position before trying it for real.

But for $1500... not on my to buy list
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-26-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
The price has dropped to $1399 (and even lower in some locations) and they have a new kite (smaller) for another $100 less (supposedly soon). A bit spendy still, but for all that air and training potential! The smaller kite allows for more traditional wake-style tricks as it's a lot easier to muscle around. Haven't tried the smaller kite yet (not available) but I'm itchin'. As I've posted, I've ridden a friend of mine's; but I'm looking to go together on another one; anybody in the San Diego area interested in combining funds??
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-26-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
What happens when the kite ropes tangle around your neck?
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-26-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
How does a rally car racer hooked into submarine gear with a monkey pit crew sound?!!!!

Jerm I. Side, congratulations you have come up with the stupidest reason/reference yet to not like the wakekite.
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
"The real reason I don't like it, is because it contradicts all the fundamentals that we all work so hard for to improve our wakeboarding. All the proper riding technique is not possible with this thing.

If you watch the video (i saw it at a boatshow), the riders arms are extended out above his shoulders, board is flat hitting the wake (not on edge), etc."

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/465983.html?1183825276#POST934861
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-27-2007, 12:15 AM Reply   
"Friends don't let friends Wakekite"
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-27-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
I kiteboard and wakeboard. This device is neat, and the weekend warriors will have a blast playing on it. If they stick it in a sporting goods chain, they will make millions. It will not sell at all to the more serious wakeboarders and kiteboarders.

The thing the most avid boarders like is unlimited potential. They embrace things that flow with the fundamental principles of what they are trying to accomplish. Things get labelled gay because the clash with these principles, not because they are stupid, or poorly designed. I know of the guy who helped them with their initial kite design. He works for one of the major kiteboarding companies. Im sure its well made and well thought out. However, it doesnt flow with the fundamentals of what wakeboarders or kiteboarders are trying to do, so I wouldnt expect a warm reception from either group.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-27-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
since every one is using colors and big letters these days

IMAGINE A DOUBLE UP!
you would go huge
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-28-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
Anodyne, I've seen you post before... I suppose you've tried the wakekite? Or, are you so sure it's lame you won't even touch it? Remember, that's what surfers were saying about wakeboarding (and many still do). Of course, we know wakeboarding rules, but that's because we do it, understand it, live by it. It's all a matter of understanding and experience - to each his own. I guarantee this though - you get on the wakekite and go 20', landing way out in the flats with very little impact (like I did) and try, just TRY to wipe the smile off your face. Good luck!
Seriously though, this is just another fun thing to try...not a wakeboarding replacement. Some of you need to seriously understand the difference. Others are clearly more enlightened.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-28-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
what happens when you fall? is the kite attached to you or the rope? does someone have to release the rope from the boat when you fall to make sure the kite line doesn't tangle with the rider? What if you drop the handle? It says it releases but i wish there was something showing the mechanics of it.

Oh, and by the way, i think it looks like a TON of fun as another thing to do behind the boat. I think what i like best is the reduced impact on big air.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-28-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
you are not harnessed into the system. there are several safety releases to the system-- one at the boat for observers to pull, one at the handle to detach from the main line and also for the kite lines i think. the kite will automatically safety release if too much tension/weired wind forces are placed on the system

Wake kite has done their homework, especially after seeing the wego tube incidences i am sure.

check it out more in detail at the web site
wakekite.com

copied this from the site :
Multiple safety features are designed into the WakeKite® Superfly 9.0:

* Shackle Release – In boat, to release main towline from the towboat.
* Handle Release – When rider lets go, the handle releases from the towline.
* Kite Line Releases – IF the kite is overloaded, the kite and kite lines will come loose from the handle and one or both kite line releases (re-loadable) are triggered.

p.s. while checking the site i found some recent news that confirms its safety approval. a posted a seperate thread here
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/506031.html?1191003252