Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-24-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
If the wakeboard mode is for 15-25 mph range and the Slalom mode is for 24-36 mph,

what mode do you use to control the boat to 9.5, 9.8 etc?

any and all instructions for using PP for wakesurfing would be greatly appreciated. The manual isn't clear and makes no mention of using PP for surfing.

Thanks

Ed
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-24-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
on ours we can set the speed to whatever we want with the up and down arrows. just hold the down arrow and the speed should go down. we set ours at 10 or 11 and it hold great usually better then for wakeboarding
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-24-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
Do you do this while in "wakeboard" mode?

e
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-24-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
Ed, I am able to use mine in the wakeboard mode and run around 10.5

Doug
Old    surfdad            05-24-2006, 4:37 PM Reply   
Hey Ed, from the PP website, wakeboard pro page:

If WakeSurfing is your passion, you will be blown away with the speed and wake consistency of the WakeboardPro. At 8 – 11 mph the speed is rock solid, which means the wake never changes resulting in the best surfing possible. (On a lake that is !)

I'll shoot you an email at home.
Old    surfdad            05-24-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
Just for the rest of the folks out there. The paddle wheel installation is CRITICAL and I have heard a few stories about bad modules being shipped. However, the folks at PP are about the best in the business. I would go straight to the source:

Phone (902) 468-2150
Fax (902) 468-8837

E Mail the Sales Dept: sales@perfectpass.com

E Mail Tech Support: techsupport@perfectpass.com

E Mail Randy Eisener: randy@perfectpass.com

They will get you straightened out pronto, Ed...but I have to ask...were there any gators around while you were lake testing? :-)
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-25-2006, 3:59 AM Reply   
Well Jeff, if I asked you if there were any catfish in your lake while you surf, how would you respond?

When wakesurfing...what mode do you run in when using perfectpass and what is your setpoint?
Old    surfdad            05-25-2006, 5:23 AM Reply   
There are NO catfish (or gators) in my lake. :-) I set PP at 10.5 in WB mode. Now, on mine, PP will NOT set below 7.5 mph. You should hear an audible beep and see the underscore on the PP dial when it connects. On mine, if you attempt to set it, say...for 7.2 mph, it never connects. Just as a test, Ed, have you attempted to put it in RPM mode and get PP to connect? That will tell you if the module and connection to your throttle cable is in place. Just so that I have a clear understanding, you are using that on your outback with the Carb and not EFI, right?
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-25-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
I am using it on the outback with the carb.

The only thing I attempted was calibrating the PP speedometer to the gps and I was told I was doing that ass backward.

I haven't used this thing successfully yet and I already wish I didn't get it! Help is really hard to find and Randy at PP just tells me to read the manual. The manual sucks.

If I didn't have to work today, Kyle Schmidt volunteered to take me out and show me how to use it. Damn work :-)

How do you know what RPM to select for the speed you want to go?

Is their a chart somewhere that tells you 10 mph = xx rpm. etc?
Old    surfdad            05-25-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
No, there isn't a chart and of course it would be different for each boat/prop combo. What I was hoping to do is isolate the problem. Kyle can help, I'm sure, if it's just a manual dexterity problem :-) We all know how you floridians are. :-)

If you get some free time though, make sure that PP is off. Then go out and run your boat at the desired speed - let's assume 9.5 and make a note of the RPM's on your tach. THEN stop the boat, put it in neutral, make sure that PP is on - responding to all it's questions and switch to RPM mode. Then set the desired RPM using the arrow keys. Now, gradually accelerate up to the desired RPM, as the engine gets close, it should connect. Audible tone and some visual on the PP dial. Don't throttle back at this point as that will disconnect PP - just see if it will stay connected.

In THAT way, you know the linkage and module are functional. If it doesn't connect there are gators somewhere between the dial and the carb. :-)
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-25-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
Thanks. That's a great idea! Make a chart using the gps and tach.

I keep telling you - I'm not a Floridian, I just live here. I am a Pittsburgher and proud of it! :-)
Old    surfdad            05-25-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
Ed, with all due respect...does it matter what the speed setting "reading" is on your PP? I see folks all the time on here saying they set PP at 12.5 - there is NO WAY they are riding that fast, but it doesn't matter, right? I mean, just set PP for whatever creates a wake that is clean and you can ride and FORGET ABOUT what the actual numerical settings are.

Let me get this straight. You LIVE in Florida. You WORK in Florida. You PLAY in Florida, but in reality you are a Pittsburger. If it WALKS like a duck and it quacks like a duck...got it. :-)
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-25-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
If one is born in Pittsburgh and goes back frequently, you can't get it out of your heart. Many Pittsburghers live and work down here. It's a Pittsburgh thing I guess.

I honestly have no idea if it matters or not. I'm trying to find out.

It is my understanding that one has to set the setpoint speed for when they want the PP to engage. I would think that for surfing 8 mph would be a good setpoint. Then PP would engage and then accelerate to 9.5 mph (or whatever speed created the best wake).

Old    surfdad            05-25-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
Hey Ed, no, the set point is what you want PP to run at. So in your example, you would have the set point at 9.5. It doesn't engage and then accelerate, it engages and maintains that set speed.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-25-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
now I'm more confused than ever.
Old    surfdad            05-25-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
Sorry dude, let's see if I can make it clearer. You would place the PP into WB mode. Let's assume you want PP to maintain a steady speed of 9.5. You would make the set point 9.5. When you go to operate the boat, PP will engage, at about say...8.8 or so MPH and then will bring the speed UP to the set point of 9.5. Also, if you accelerate out of the hole and overshoot the desired speed...let's say you push it to 10.5 PP will engage and then SLOW the speed down to your set point of 9.5.

Did I make it any better? :-)

On the display you will see two speed settings. The set point, which is the desired speed and then the ACTUAL speed, which is typically fluctuating just a bit above and below the set point as PP works it's magic. :-)
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-25-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
You made it feel better.

I think I'm ripping this thing out and installing the speedo from my 1968 Scwinn.
Old    surfdad            05-25-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
With the dangly things from the handle bar grips? Cool! :-)