Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-13-2013, 5:16 AM Reply   
This is kinda really nuts!!!! Like how is this possible?

http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/mik...y-makes-moves/

2:20, Looks like Mike is getting a pro-model board to!!!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-13-2013, 8:55 AM Reply   
Wow!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-13-2013, 9:08 AM Reply   
Pretty sick. I love how he has the mind to reach down and grab after the first roll and backside 180.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-13-2013, 12:47 PM Reply   
I still can't find my jaw, let alone shut my mouth yet.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-13-2013, 12:57 PM Reply   
Beast mode. That's not a wake...that's a wave.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-13-2013, 3:42 PM Reply   
unreal! that is some real talent, not only a double flip, but also throwing in a late grab with the bs 180!!
Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-13-2013, 3:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
I still can't find my jaw, let alone shut my mouth yet.
^
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-14-2013, 3:17 PM Reply   
real sik but looks more like a roll to blind than a tantrum.. not two flips to blind but a flip to blind then an additional flip.. awesome either way!

I especially like all the failed attempts leading into the butt check save stick and finally the clean one to cap it off..

Last edited by bill; 03-14-2013 at 3:19 PM.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       03-14-2013, 7:45 PM Reply   
People doing call a double roll to revert a roll to revert roll... It's a dub roll to blind...
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-15-2013, 6:05 AM Reply   
Did you notice the video is posted on a Mastercraft sponsored site? Mastercraft everywhere... Yet he's being pulled by a G 23- hmm.....
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-15-2013, 7:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by will5150 View Post
Did you notice the video is posted on a Mastercraft sponsored site? Mastercraft everywhere... Yet he's being pulled by a G 23- hmm.....
I was laughing at this, as well.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-15-2013, 7:30 AM Reply   
Man, you boat guys kill me. He could have just as easily done it behind a Mastercraft or Malibu. If there is anything that has transformed the wake size recently it has been the increase in engine size (more ballast) not some magical hull technology. I'm not doubting the G23 wake. It is great, but you can't really give the boat credit for this one. It is all the skill (and balls) of Dowdy.
Old     (tdickman4)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-15-2013, 7:37 AM Reply   
Justin, I agree that it is skill and balls of the rider but a nice wake helps out a lot. It's like at a cable park hitting a small and big kicker, the big kicker allows you to do bigger tricks than the small kicker. It also deals with what you are used to.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-15-2013, 8:00 AM Reply   
bigger ramp = bigger tricks.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-15-2013, 8:03 AM Reply   
No salary-level pro is riding on a small wake. I guess the G23 worship is getting a little silly. It's wake is no bigger than other boats of the same size weighted similarly.

By "boat guys" I meant guys who are more hung up on the toys than the riding.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-15-2013, 9:25 AM Reply   
I'd like to see the guys that do W2W doubles (Harley, Twelker, and Dowdy) try to do them behind every boat. For now, I bet it's not possible. I think it takes a big, heavy boat, with a lot of extra weight, and 500 hp to get it on plane....for now anyway.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-15-2013, 9:35 AM Reply   
I agree. It is the weight in a big boat (and the motor to push it). It's the new class of motors that all manufacturers are putting in their boats that is making the wake bigger. They could do doubles behind a 230, a VLX, X-25 all the same if they had the weight and an engine to push it.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-15-2013, 11:27 AM Reply   
Sorry ski but don't agree with you at all. #1 it takes a huge WELL shaped wake to do what dowdy is doing.
#2 a wake of this size would benefit anyone of us on this forum given a couple hours behind it to get used to it.
#3 due to hull design a x-25 will NEVER be able to throw a wake like a G no matter how much weight you can pile into it!

Me thinks your just a wee bit jealous...
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-15-2013, 12:10 PM Reply   
The new wave of tricks is the product of a new wave of riders re-defining what is possible. All of these tricks would have come about if Nautique had never come out with the G23. They would be doing them behind a 230 just the same.

I wouldn't call myself jealous, but I have a lot of respect for the God given talent and grit Dowdy possesses. Not the boat. I would buy a G23 if I thought it would automatically take all of my 7s to 9s and all my mobes to mobe 5s, but it won't.

Every new trick thread turns into a, "did you see the size of that wake" or "You can't doubt the impact of the (insert boat name)" thread. The wake is important, but if you don't think Dowdy could drop that double behind a super sacked out X-25 you are crazy. The boat guys have become distracted from what it really takes to ride at that level. A lot of water time and a lot of hard work.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-15-2013, 12:21 PM Reply   
I've been transferring my old wake movies to my itunes recently, and watching some too. Not only was the equipment janky back in the day, but the wakes were about 1/3 the size if that. They had a Sport Nautique in Mayday and I'd be surprised if it had more than 1000-1500 pounds of ballast judging by the wake. The adding weight has been escalating for years, but whether it's the boat shape or just adding more wake, wake size and airtime have gone up dramatically in the past few years. Guys boost crazy air now wake-to-wake on all types of boats (though most vids seem to have an X Star or G23). Entirely different sport.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-15-2013, 12:23 PM Reply   
Dude what I was saying is a super sac'd out x-25 doesn't exist. That boat is not meant to be loaded up. Wake on it curls with full factory ballast already. Could he do it behind a sac'd star? Maybe. A sac'd MXz? Phil doesn't...

You are obviously a pretty decent rider from the tricks you mention but you need to get real. That G wake is what is giving him the airtime required to get those tricks. No way you take him out behind your beloved BU is he gonna be able to pull off the same stuff.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-15-2013, 12:25 PM Reply   
Couldn't agree more with Justin. If i took my crappy bag of tricks to a G23, is it going to make my tricks better? well probably, as would any boat that is pumpin out a fat wake. That being said, im still gonna have a crappy bag of tricks, because of MY skill level. Not because of some parallel universe behind any said boat.

1. Time on the water
2. Taking your lumps
3. Big motor
4. Lots of weight

Thats what makes a bad@$$ rider.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-15-2013, 12:56 PM Reply   
Ouch, insult my boat?

Ron, keep blaming (crediting) the equipment. I guess if he gets a nice salary from another manufacturer he will just have to stop doing those. He is a top rider in the world and that is why he has a G23 (was pursued by Correct Craft). He is not a top rider in the world because of it.

All that said, the G23 is a great boat I would easily consider it were I currently in the market. The layout of the boat is very nice and the detailing is superb. I don't bash or exalt any particular brand.

Last edited by skiboarder; 03-15-2013 at 1:02 PM.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       03-15-2013, 1:16 PM Reply   
Only on wakeworld does somebody say that wake size is increased only by bigger engines and more ballast, yet magical hull designs have nothing to do with it. Funny stuff right there dag gummit. How many people posting here have actually seen the bottom of a G23? Anyone familiar with why Correct Craft never put lifting strakes on 210 hulls and only use 900lbs of ballast? If it's no to either, I would do some research on hull technology. Hull design is just as important as engine and ballast, that's all I'm saying. Dowdy rips, the G23 is reputable for it's hull design, not lack there of, and if anyone feels hull design is not important you should really look into what a poor hull design can do to a boat.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-15-2013, 1:59 PM Reply   
Dave, I don't think anyone said that a crappy hull with a lot of weight would make a good wake. I don't think any of the boats named have a poor hull.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-15-2013, 2:10 PM Reply   
given Dowdy's skill level - he wont/cant pull the same trick off a smaller wake. Period.
Dudes cant throw tripple corks on a 60ft kicker, They need a 100ft kicker.
Dowdy is not going to land that trick of a smaller wake- cause he wont get the air time to finish it.

No one is knocking his ability - thats already a GIVEN.
The wake being significantly bigger on these new boats are giving the riders with that ability to land bigger tricks.
All these guys have been SLAMMING all the previous boats for years.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-15-2013, 2:15 PM Reply   
Ski, no not insulting your boat. I'm pretty sure he's not gonna be able to get the air needed behind my SAN 210 to be able to pull off those doubles either. Even if I could put an equivalent amount of weight in it which I couldn't.

Many people have reported that you can load this boat up with ballast and still ride at 23mph which in itself is almost unheard of! Having this huge of a wake and not having to ride so fast is only gonna help in learning new tricks and taking old tricks even bigger.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-15-2013, 2:20 PM Reply   
I think I am done trying to explain my point. Wakeboat marketing wins this round...

It is time to check out of the office and hit the lake.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-15-2013, 2:26 PM Reply   
"It is time to check out of the office and hit the lake"

^^^^thats whats up!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-15-2013, 3:08 PM Reply   
I don't think you really understand.... Non nautique pros worship the G's wake.... They kick jokes about it because it makes big tricks easy.
The G wake is absolutely a huge factor in this.
My source? A former MC pro (and xstar owner) and a non-nautique sponsored pro
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-15-2013, 3:31 PM Reply   
Justin has some valid points, but I think his main point is that it is not the G23 or any boat, but that the ability to put more ballast into "whatever" boat is what is currently giving these riders the edge. That may be completely true or not, but I have 4 boats to name, they are similar for many reasons, but the only reason that I care about for this argument is progression.

Original Xstar (205v)
Original SAN
04+ Xstar
G23

Progression was increased, imo, by these 4 boats... not ONLY these 4 boats, but mainly these 4.

You can argue the 04+ xstar pulled the tour for a long time, so the riders chose to ride this boat as much as possible resulting in a lot of new tricks landed behind it... okay, may be true, but you can't deny the wake that thing makes.

The G23 is the new Xstar, because the actual new Xstar is Nautiques old flagship- the SAN230.

The wake matters and the only wake that seems to matter right now is the G23, it doesn't pull the tour yet everybody wants to ride behind it, then after they ride behind it, they make everyone else want to ride behind it... including myself.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-15-2013, 3:47 PM Reply   
the first time you ride behind the G and see that wake first hand with your own 2 eyes - its just something else.
Once you rail into it hard - youll see what the hype is about.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-15-2013, 4:46 PM Reply   
Just for arguments sake. Dowdy did the KGB 7 behind the new star before cc signed him. Harley has been doing double for awhile behind the old star. The g is awesome but as many have said its the rider and the new star is not as far behind the g as people on this forum would like to think.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-15-2013, 5:43 PM Reply   
He also nearly landed it behind a z3 on pro ballast as well. He's an incredible athlete, there's no taking away from that.

The 2 Non nautique pro and MC legend I've spoken with says the g23 makes new tricks significantly easier and is the best wake out. This wake is enhancing progression.
If its just about ballast why isn't everyone raving about epic all the time? (Also for the sake of argument)
Old     (jordanleininger21)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-16-2013, 6:15 AM Reply   
Wow that was ridiculous! So sick
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-16-2013, 7:46 AM Reply   
Hey I wasn't knocking anyone's boat- I LOVE the X star and the G 23- Just thought it was hilarious that the ADS around the video were MC, yet he's being pulled by a G23! Maybe Nautique should have coughed up for the video ad1
Old     (calummoore)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-16-2013, 10:39 PM Reply   
Daniel Watkins landed his first double backroll (off a double up) behind a Camero Legend with two sand bags in the back. Just saying.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-17-2013, 9:34 AM Reply   
Awesome video. The song he was cruisin' was perfect. Dowdy style is so unique and the kid just stomps out each trick, but of course video edits are made to do so. G23 not lookin' bad either...
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-17-2013, 10:46 AM Reply   
my roommate says he should name it the "Rowdy Dowdy."
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-17-2013, 12:40 PM Reply   
wowwwza. I had to watch that a few times to understand that....
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-17-2013, 3:22 PM Reply   
Jeez y'all, get off your computers and go ride!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-17-2013, 5:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Jeez y'all, get off your computers and go ride!
It's 24 degrees out...
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-17-2013, 9:42 PM Reply   
Its the rowdy dowdy!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-18-2013, 9:06 AM Reply   
Watching it really reminds me of a BS rodeo 900... The BS dowdeo?
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-19-2013, 1:14 PM Reply   
I'm so glad dowdy is just calling it what it is. I'm sick of all the fruity names for tricks. If I was a snowboarder looking in on this industry I'd hate too!!!

So according to Justin if I want a bigger wake on my 210 I should change engines? Sure. And since hull design has nothing to do with it then all I gotta do is weigh down the bayliner, swap engines and enjoy my giant wake.

I do agree with one thing: those guys that are more concerned with there tower speakers than riding crack me up!!!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-06-2013, 4:10 PM Reply   
Isn't he like 4 feet tall? I am sure that doesn't hurt either.....
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-06-2013, 4:32 PM Reply   
What I think makes this even more impressive is that hes doing all this on the CWB pure which is stated on this site and by the company to be designed for "Beginner/Intermediate" riders
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-06-2013, 5:02 PM Reply   
Gene's def on to some of it, height plays a big factor easier to get in the air and less moving parts. I agree and disagree with some, it def has to do with the rider and what he or she is willing to try and understand how to do it. I think you are kidding yourself if the wake does have a huge part in that, time is a lot of it, esp with spin tricks. The theory that anyone of that level riding can pull those tricks with out the time or shape of that wake is missing something? Point taken not bashing, but why are pros not riding the Epic it has huge ballast? The hull design is not proficient enough to support it, I could make a big wake with my Supreme lots of weight, but the hull could not support it wakes washed out and were inconsistent. My 210 can handle a lot more weight and keep a clean wake..... The boat is a big part.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-06-2013, 5:24 PM Reply   
I wonder if everybody would be talking about boats if they never flashed a shot of the G23 in the video... Seriously, who cares what was pulling him, the trick was dope.

Some people on this site sound like zero fun to go ride with. I'd hate to land a new trick for the first time behind some members boats.

I will close by saying thank god he didn't do it behind an MB.

Last edited by logan; 06-06-2013 at 5:25 PM. Reason: Fix
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-07-2013, 10:28 AM Reply   
Makes sense now why in the CWB ad is says 134 Pure with JT's, I couldn't believe he'd ride a 134 on such big wakes.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-07-2013, 3:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Makes sense now why in the CWB ad is says 134 Pure with JT's, I couldn't believe he'd ride a 134 on such big wakes.
Not To Surprising Actually, I Heard Harley Rides A 135 Cm At 72.5 Ft Or 75 Ft behind The Pre 2013 Xstar Hull