Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (ridinonair)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I am new to wakeboarding, and have become addicted, but I need to know some things, and I would greatly appreciate the help.

I ride goofy, and was curious as to toeside, and heelside, what is blind, and any tips that will help me with my posture, control, balance, and basic jump techniques to start landing consistantly. Thanks a lot!
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-23-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
Mitch,
Whats up man...You should look into buying "The Book" You can get it on ebay for 60$. It will take you through the sport of wakeboarding. As for you questions Blind is a BS 180. So if you see a guy post a Tantrum to blind the trick is a Backflip with a late BS 180. Heelside is when your cutting into the wake with your back facing the wake. Toeside is when your looking at the wake and cutting into it. As for some great advice to your TECHNIQUE you need to "CUT HARDER" lol.
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-23-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
Next time you come out with us make sure your dont leave your balls at home!
Old     (mavrick243)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2008, 11:47 AM Reply   
dude spin2win is right all you have to do is CUT HARDER and not leave your balls at home lol
Old     (thisisbrians)      Join Date: May 2008       06-23-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
'Toeside' and 'heelside' refer to the edges of your board; the toeside edge is the edge in front of your toes and the heelside edge is the edge behind your heels.

It is important to note that the word 'edge' can refer both to the physical edge of the board itself, and also to the turn initiated using that edge:

To turn heelside (toward your heels) you lean slightly on your heels and lean against the rope. This sets the heelside edge of the board into the water and initiates a 'heelside edge.' For a 'toeside edge,' on the other hand, you will lean on your toes and turn in the direction your toes are pointing.

Jumps can also be referred to as heelside or toeside, depending on the direction you approach the wake. If your heels are facing the wake when you jump, that is a heelside jump. If your toes face the wake, it is toeside.

A 'blind' landing is when you land with your back facing the boat and the handle held by your rear hand, but wrapped behind your back.

For your posture, you want both knees bent slightly, think athletic stance. Weight should be roughly equal on both legs, but maybe a little more weight on your back foot. You want your head and chest up (don't hunch) and keep the handle in front of your lead hip with your arms slightly bent.

As for learning board control, this just takes practice. I'm going to suggest getting used to sliding the board sideways, and riding switch. Get comfortable with both. Make sure you practice your heelside and toeside edges in both regular and switch stances, and you will improve your overall balance and control.

Before I make this post any longer, how much do you already know about jump technique?
Old     (ridinonair)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
Lets see, cut hard and look up...

ok, I know when I am cutting in to bend my knees a bit to set up to extend when I hit the wake, pull the handle into my hip, I naturally suck up my legs ( I skateboarded for 10 years) and dont look down. I was also told that grabbing like indy, will help with balance and control in the air. Thanks for all the help. especially the "cut harder" lol.
Old     (thisisbrians)      Join Date: May 2008       06-23-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
So far so good. Do you know about the progressive edge?
Old     (ridinonair)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
thats a big negative, doesn't ring a bell.... please elaborate.
Old     (thisisbrians)      Join Date: May 2008       06-23-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
Okay, well the progressive edge is probably the most important single factor to getting the proper jump technique, but it is very simple. It just means when you are approaching the wake for your jump, you build your edge slowly, or 'progressively.' So you cut out, and coast a little bit while you get ready to edge in for the jump. Here, you have no edge at all. Wait until the boat starts to pull you back in and then slowly begin your edge. You want to keep building your edge, timing it so that your edge is strongest at the very top of the wake while you extend your legs. Watch a few riders who know what they are doing and you will see exactly what I mean.
Old     (ridinonair)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2008, 3:04 PM Reply   
Thanks a lot bro, and I am going to invest in the "the book" video too, I want to get better because its been addicting for me, and the falls havent hurt near as bad as skateboarding all these years. I'm sure I can get hurt, but it comes with the territory.