Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-26-2010, 9:52 PM Reply   
Transworld has put out quality magazines for surf, skate, snow, and other sports for many years. It shows that wakeboarding has really matured as a sport because Transworld has come out with its own wakeboarding magazine.

http://wakeboardingmag.com/private/2...-launch-party/

But why is WBM advertising this mag on their website? Is WBM eventually gonna be replaced by Transworld Wakeboarding?
Old    mojo            08-26-2010, 11:52 PM Reply   
that's awesome. transworld mags are of far better quality than wbm. and i hate to say it alliance too
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-27-2010, 12:15 AM Reply   
Must be some kind of partnership or buyout. I'm surprised this has been up for a day and there has been no explanation. I think they should call it "RIDE."
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-27-2010, 1:33 AM Reply   
wbm is no more.
Old     (timmo)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-27-2010, 3:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
wbm is no more.
Really? The mag has closed? Are you an employee Umali? Can Steven Hahn (or others who are real close to it) confirm this?

It sucks if it's true.
Old    mojo            08-27-2010, 3:55 AM Reply   
alliance has been way better than wbm for a few years now. no surprise.
Old     (ClutchIndustries)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-27-2010, 5:39 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding Mag has always been owned by Transworld Media and their parent company. Why the sudden name switch? Not sure but I am assuming that the higher ups decided to integrate wakeboarding into the "transworld" line of magazines. The parent company owns hundreds of magazines. IMO Transworld Business is one of their best publications. Transworld throws the best industry only parties hands down!

-Ross
Old     (TelepromptedAnthems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-27-2010, 6:01 AM Reply   
WBM is just called Transworld Wake now. I think it's the same people and everything, just a different logo on the cover. Transworld's parent company bought WBM's parent company a few years back, so they're just rebranding it to keep it consistent with other titles.
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-27-2010, 6:41 AM Reply   
both magazines are way to short. they need to bulk them up like the old days of transworld skateboarding, things were like phonebooks
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-27-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
I have a subscription to WBM. Does this mean I now have a subscription to Transworld?
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
Actually WBM is owned by the Bonnier Corp which bought out both World Sports Media (WBM, Waterski, etc...) and Transworld Media several years ago. As for magazine being way too small, it's all about advertising revenue which has been shrinking over the past couple of years.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-27-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alevitt View Post
actually wbm is owned by the bonnier corp which bought out both world sports media (wbm, waterski, etc...) and transworld media several years ago. As for magazine being way too small, it's all about advertising revenue which has been shrinking over the past couple of years.
thank you for posting this. At least someone has common sense and media savy to pay attention to publications rather as to "ahh thats a pretty picture"
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-27-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco View Post
i have a subscription to wbm. Does this mean i now have a subscription to transworld?
yes. There current subscribers and/or new subscribers will all transfer over. If you have 3 months left youll be getting your 3 months left from the new publisher.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-27-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
I wonder if they'll also change Water Ski to Transworld Water Ski.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       08-27-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
This is a positive transition in wake any way you look at it. I'm excited to see what they have in store for us.
Old     (TelepromptedAnthems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-27-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
I wonder if they'll also change Water Ski to Transworld Water Ski.
I really hope not. Personally, Im holding out for the first issue of Transworld Destination Weddings and Honeymoons.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
SO will their TWSnow continue to bash wakeboarding?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-27-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
Wow. As always, so much speculation on WW. Like Adam said, The Bonnier Corp bought out World pub a few years back. Wakeboarding Magazines last issue just dropped. Transworld Wake will hit news stands just in time for Expo (Nov/Dec) issue. Same people, same staff, just a name change and some layout changes. Maybe there will be a Transworld Parenting Magazine? Lol! It's Bonnier's highest subscription based Magazine.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-27-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
Sorry, correction. World sports and marketing. World pub still produces the King of wake.
Old     (KGar11)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-27-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
congrats to wakeboarding itself
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-27-2010, 8:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
SO will their TWSnow continue to bash wakeboarding?
Transworld Skate bashes snowboarding all the time, so I expect not much will change. While they're under the same Transworld banner, I'm pretty sure each title operates independently.
Overall this is a good thing for wakeboarding in general. Transworld is THE name in publishing within the action sports industry and adding wakeboarding to their masthead will only give the sport more exposure.
Old     (wakewilly)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-28-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
Alliance continues to beat out WBM, hands down. It'll be interesting if the switch to TW will be an improvement.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-29-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
I thought WBM got better with the current editor. I've always wanted for Transworld to come out with their own wake mag but not replace WBM. Pretty sad to see it go since I've been reading it for nearly 10 years.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-29-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
Bonnier Corp owns a ton of magazines!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-31-2010, 6:14 AM Reply   
I'm still trying to find all this speculation
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-31-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
The first couple of posts were speculative.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       09-01-2010, 3:23 AM Reply   
Huh/????????????????????????????????
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-02-2010, 3:36 PM Reply   
I also think WBM has stepped up recently with the newest editor. No more bad music section. No more strippers with fake boobs for girls models. Less ads. I am surprised it is their biggest publication though!!
Old     (ClutchIndustries)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-07-2010, 4:53 PM Reply   
Straight from the source. Should clear up everyones questions.

http://business.transworld.net/46655...oarding-title/

-Ross
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2010, 5:01 PM Reply   
Were there any questions left?
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       09-08-2010, 4:11 AM Reply   
Lol
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-08-2010, 9:55 AM Reply   
I found the following at http://www.boardistan.com/?p=17652

Can Transworld Save Wakeboarding?
By The Editors September 7th, 2010.

It was only a matter of time before the Bonnier Corporation gave its struggling Wakeboarding Magazine the Transworld title it needed. Will it work? Probably. Wakeboarding always has been the surf industry’s “secret weapon.”

I guess Alliance is winning the battle, but the war is far from over. IMO Alliance is still better.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-08-2010, 7:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Wakeboarding always has been the surf industry’s “secret weapon.”
What the hell does that mean? They give no explanation for the comment. Lame.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-09-2010, 8:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
What the hell does that mean? They give no explanation for the comment. Lame.
Dave, I noticed that as well I wasn't really sure what it meant. Could be that traditional surf companies like Billabong have increased their sales/market share because of wakeboarding. That's my take.