Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-13-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
I am negotiating on a Sanger v230 I had it inspected yesterday and the biggest concern the shop came up with was that it has a custom paint job over the gel coat. Should this scare me away?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-13-2010, 9:02 AM Reply   
I'd definitely be a deduction on value as those do not usually work out well.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-13-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
definately hurts the value of the boat. With that said , I owned the boat below for abtou 1.5 years, it wa painted flat black ( ford underbody/frame paint)...no issues.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-13-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
IMO Yes it should scare you Far Far away.
I would be asking WHY did it get painted. IMO most boats get painted because they get wrecked. You can wrap a boat for a few grand so why would some one paint. I guess I just have no Idea how Paint holds up on a boat compaired to a car. That why I would stay away. With Paint you dont know how the surface underneath was prepped. It could be just fine for years or it could start flaking off right away. Unless you could get it for a deal I would look else where
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-13-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
Haha, that's my old house.

That boat was lots of fun too, cool ride.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-13-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
Depends on the paint. If it is something like AWL grip. In big boat world, if a boat is Awlgripped, it increases the value.
Old    SamIngram            10-13-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
If it was done correctly, no worries, if it was done wrong worry!

One of the best painters in the world, Billy B, paints on gel coat all the time. His paint jobs often cost more than the actual boat... I can't easily find pictures of his work...

Jamie Jamison also did awesome paint over gel coat. This is one Jamie did.... the paint is 18 years old!

Since it's a Sanger I wouldn't be surprised if someone that new what they were doing did the paint... Sanger has that history.

Last edited by SamIngram; 10-13-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old     (Mindblur)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-13-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
Well the paint has bubbled under the gas cap. I wish this boat wasn't painted bc then I would be on the lake and not looking for a boat anymore. Getting sick of looking.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-13-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
you could always wrap it.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-13-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
Yep, i've painted a few boats. Gas getting under paint can be an issue.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-13-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
I have no experience with any of this, but a quick Google search offered many options to remove the paint and not destroy the gel coat. I would think that if the paint wasn't in every little nook and cranny, a weekend of paint removal might be worth it.
Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-13-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
do you have any pictures of the boat you are looking at???
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-13-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
Try not to let shopping fatigue affect your decision......since you will never know the real reason it was painted I would move on. With the way the boat market is right now, the best deal could be right around the corner as we head into winter...