Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-24-2007, 10:13 PM Reply   
So im 7 months Post-op on a completely torn ACL, severly sprained LCL, slight tear to my MCL and one badass bruise to my meniscus which the surgeon had to to shave off 10% off of it. Im stoked to start riding here, and in Minnesota for us crazy folks the season began a couple weeks ago and im bout to jump in the water this weekend. A year ago April is when I injured myself (got the surgery in september) and i got hurt throwing a damn simple tantrum (well a tantrum attempt of course!) so i was wondering, just wanted some insight from those who have blown their knees and ended up needing some sort of surgical repair...how did it happen? Im mostly curious to hear from those who injured themselves wakeboarding. How did it happen? Doing what trick? When? How many times (hopefully not many!). Again, im just curious to know how some of my unfortunate fellow wakeboarders have blown their knees while wakeboarding. And finally, how does it feel now and all that good stuff (I want this for mere self-inspiration!)
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-24-2007, 10:28 PM Reply   
Eder, you'll find a ton of peeps on here in that same similar boat. The common thing I have heard is "its not if, but when". I think you may not get many people chiming in since its a commonly talked about issue. Since I am still fresh out of surgery you get to read what I have to say, lol.

With that said I am four months out of ACL surgery and looking forward to getting on a board in a week or so. I worked my Butt off to get my knee rehabbed as fast as possible and plan on working on basics until july or aug (knocking on wood).

I tore mine warming up with a crow. Took it out into the flats with a small over-rotation. As a result I landed completely straight legged and my femur twisted inward on my acl; essentially guilatining it. With a massive bone bruise and a torn ACL I went into surgery two months after the accident, 12-20-06. I am looking forward to riding this summer more than ever.

As far as feeling good; I noticed that my newly rebuilt knee feels nice and clean and accurate while my "old healthy knee" seems to be a little more sloppy and stiff. This is probably due to excess scar tissue and years of abuse. These realizations really became clear during therapy and rehab where I was pushing both knees equally and finding they were both pretty sore, etc.
Old     (boardnman)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-25-2007, 5:02 AM Reply   
Edger, I also had my ACL replaced almost 7 months ago. I just started riding last weekend taking it very slow getting back into it. They did a hamstring graft on my left knee. Feels pretty good most the time just stiff after sitting for a while or after golfing or wakeboarding it's sore for about a day after any activity.
My doctor told me at my 6 month checkup that i should not wakeboard for 3 more months. But i told him that i would just take it slow for the next few months which i intend to do(wakesuring is a great way to take the mind off of wakeboarding so many sets when you go out)
But i tore mine on a whirly, just the 30 second scoop on how it happened. I got my boat back from the dealer that weekend they had to fix my Perfect pass in the boat and when they did they messed with the speed. So anyway, i started riding the day after i got my boat back and i usually take one or two w2w jumps before going into my normal routine, which always starts out with a whirly, well to make a long story short, i was going way faster than i normally ride and just taking a few w2w jumps didnt really give me any indication that i was going a bit too fast for my liking. (25 MPH) so i cut in for a normal whirly and landed about 10 feet in the flats and i knew on my way down i way farther out landing than normal so i reached for the landing by straightening my leg to catch myself, well... my leg locked in place and i hear a huge pop and knew as soo as i landed that it was not a good thing..
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-25-2007, 5:57 AM Reply   
Two years ago, landing straight-legged. Keep your knees bent, folks
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-25-2007, 7:52 AM Reply   
Matt, i know what you mean about how its a common subject here, but thanks for all the respnses so far! I just wanted to change it up just a bit instead of asking who has blown their knees, i thought it would be interesting to know HOW it happened, during what trick ya know? Cuz for us who have done it, we know how big of a bummer it is to do so!!
Old     (celticfc)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-25-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
6 months post op. Patellar graft. Gonna wait another 6 weeks 'cos I'm still deficient in muscle mass in the quadricep VMO region (all the new jargon you learn when you join the knee zipper club).

Blew it on a crow. Wake was loaded, went super wide and charged hard, got booted huge and into the flats. Like Ryan above that left me straight legged. That exceeded the bearing capacity of the knee joint. The failure mechanism ruptured ACL

It's crazy how many people pop ACL's on trip flip inverts especially on front roll based tricks. Is it the extra momentum you need to have to carry you through the rotation?
Old     (danadog)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-26-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
7 years ago blew the Acl for the first time landing in the flats.
Now I have been sticking to the wakeskate when I am standing sidewayz.
Old     (suprarider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
I blew mine on a roll to revert, skidding out. Also lost 50% of miniscus. I rode on it with a brace until last summer. It's all about NOT landind straight legged.
Age plays a big part, I was 37 and had good knees up until then. I'm a year and 1 month post op, patellar graft. Went W2W with no pain last weekend. Hope to be back to 3's soon...
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       04-26-2007, 4:44 PM Reply   
Blew my left knee doin' a 3, right knee more recently (1.5yrs ago) doing a switch w2w. I was GOING to do a 1/2 cab but bailed, then landed straight legged. POP! Both were patellar reconstructs, but most recent he also scoped out a bunch of arthritis. yuk. That seriously set me back and I missed the beginning of last season. Unlike my left leg this one nagged me for a while and bothered me the bulk of the season. However, THIS season I'm completely back in the game and the "clean up" job to my right knee makes my other one feel loose and grindy (is that a word?) similar to liquidmx.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-26-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
blew mine on a perfectly normal wake2wake jump (may have been a little bigger than usual!)
nothing wrong with the jump, came down to land and felt/heard the whole thing pop and tear, and knew straight away i had a major problem... i guess i must have been straight legged?
that was 3 years ago and it still doesn't feel perfect. getting some confidence back was definitely the biggest challenge for me!
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       04-27-2007, 4:25 AM Reply   
Pretty crazy how just landing a w2w wrong can do the trick!
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-27-2007, 5:35 AM Reply   
Landed straight legged on a frontroll August 06. Surgery alot like yours Eder in October 06. I'm ready to put this doctors surgery to the test.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-27-2007, 8:07 AM Reply   
Lets do it! This weekend is will be my first test run!
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-27-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
Same here. All the power to ya. I fear I still havent gotten the ok from the doc nor do I have a riding brace however, I am going to make-shift an Appalation American(sounds better than hillbilly) riding brace for the time being. Pics to come.
Do you have a riding brace Eder?
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       04-27-2007, 9:32 PM Reply   
Haha, good luck with that melanie (in a good way, no sarcasm for real!) And yeah i do have a riding brace. I have a Donjoy i wear when i work out, and play hockey, and i have a custom fit donjoy something or other which is exclusively for watersports (which probably just means its waterproof!) Anywho, i got a brand new 3DS setup, board and bindings, Props to DWC boardshop and Tom Conway for giving me a hell of a deal, which im stoked to ride for the first time on sunday! Cant Wait, 80's and water temps around the mid 40's here in Minnesota!
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-01-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
Saturday -- landing a heelside w2w. Well, I actually landed front foot on top of the second wake. I don't recall if my leg was straight -- just felt it give out when I hit the water. I have the MRI scheduled for tomorrow and I'll get the results back next Tuesday. Nothing that I haven't already been through -- I had the other one done two years ago.
Old     (jay_j)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-01-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
ADVICE:

Whether you think its happening or not, one leg will compensate for the other. Do not push yourself until you are ready and have done your PT.

I shattered my tib doing a tantrum. On the landing, one leg bent, but the other had a mind of its own and did not bend at all, resulting in the impact shattering my tib. 1 plate and 8 screws later, I was riding about a year after that and was doing a simple w2w 180. Little did I know, my other leg was still compensating for the other, so when i landed my "good leg" disslocated out the side, blowing my ACL, Partial MCL, and Maniscus.

Do your PT and don't get out to soon for this reason.

Good luck to all with injuries and surgeries.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-01-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
locked my front leg out on a tantrum last summer. I felt immediate pain in the front of my knee. My knee swelled and got stiff, but eventually got better. I never went to the doctor, because it felt better, but man it feels sloppy and still swells after I ride.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-03-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
How much do the riding braces cost?
I have the worlds largest deductable so I fear i'll be paying for it out of pocket.
Also, anyone ever use or heard anything about custom Breg braces? www.breg.com
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-03-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
My CTI Pro Sport was about 1500 after getting fitted, etc.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-03-2007, 4:42 PM Reply   
Thanks so much. Thats exactly what I figured they might cost.
My doc is hooking me up with a friend of his that makes the breg braces. I pay cost which amounts to $500 for the fit, brace, etc. Should I take him up on this offer? I spoke with the folks that will be making it and they say the one i'll get will be non slip, light weight, and they will fix or manipulate it any which way I want.
Should I go for it?
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       05-03-2007, 10:10 PM Reply   
If you think you need it then thats a hell of a deal! My insurance covered mine since i was fitted for it through my orthopedist's company group thing. Anywho, mine was $1850 (thats what my insurance paid for it) so $500 is a heck of a deal if its a nice one. I recommend it if youre out of surgery. Itll add support and of course confidence. Ive been out twice now sine my surgery in September and the brace makes me feel secure. Just remember...just cuz you have a brace doesnt mean you cant injure yourself again!!! So, ill be taking it easy yet for a few more weeks before i try any invert or anything.....maybe even a month or more!
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-07-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
I have a breg . . . haven't used it for wakeboarding. I used it religiously my first season back on the mountain and loved it -- could hardly tell it was there. It was a custom fit thing. I know they are ridiculously expensive but I was lucky enough that my insurance covered the whole thing.