Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-07-2005, 3:51 PM Reply   
The ranger wasn't a loser,he didn't give in,just evened up the odds a bit.

Next time,back hand that stupid biotch,or,observe the 10 pm quiet time.
Old    matlock            06-07-2005, 5:02 PM Reply   
Not commenting on the merits of his potential case, but

1) if he filed a 1983 action (42 USC Section 1983) alleging that his civil rights were violated by state actors (i.e., cops, ranger), then he could file in federal court in the applicable venue. Probably Central Dist. of Cal. (i.e., sacramento). Would avoid the locals problem.

2) if he won his 1983 action, he might get attorneys' fees under another federal statute, 1988.

A lawyer could tell you these things and your best course of action. Likely in a free consultation.

A message board will get you lots of disinformation and uninformed lay opinions.

Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-07-2005, 5:14 PM Reply   
Yeah, bout all you'll get with the lawyer on this one is his bill. This kinda stuff goes on all the time. Unless you got some good "Rodney King" footage ur wasting your time on this one. Learn from the experience and next time handle it differently.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-07-2005, 5:35 PM Reply   
Man, It's a good thing my parents didn't subscribe to the "nothing you can do" point of view, otherwise I (as a teenager) would have wound up in jail, instead of a slimeball police detective losing his job.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-07-2005, 5:41 PM Reply   
Oh sometimes there's something you can do... just not this time. Like I said, know when to fight, and when to walk. That's a cuddly little story how ur folks saved you tho.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-07-2005, 5:44 PM Reply   
I suppose you'd just let the ranger / sheriffs take your kids. That would teach them a lesson alright.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       06-08-2005, 7:25 AM Reply   
PorkChops, that is a ridiculous statement. I'm sure what happened to you as a teenager is the exception, not the norm.

Everybody should know better than to tell law enforcement to f off, this goes without saying. It's a matter of respect and it sucks that you Mike had to shoulder the responsibility, but that's the risk you run when hosting a party.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-08-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
If you ever feel like a law enforcement officer has overstepped their boundaries ask for badge number and superior officer immediately. Be respectful. At the same time have somebody else in your group call 911 and explain the situation so there is a record of what is happening.

Bengal, why didn't your friends come for you? Seems like you may want to re-consider who you are hanging out with?

I am very respectful of law officers. A few years ago a highway patrol pulled me over on the way to Lake Shasta and started hassling me in a bulldog fashion. I told the wife to call 911 and I asked for he have is superior officer be dispatched to the scene. I waited in my air conditioned vehicle and he waited out in the hot sun leaning on his trunk for 30 minutes until his superior officer arrived. The superior officer talked to him then to me. Then after having another brief discussion with his superior the officer came back offered an apology for his behavior and issued me a fix-it ticket instead of a citation.

Don't threaten these guys but there are proper ways to handle these situations. Obviously the best resolution is to avoid the situation, but don't be afraid to call 911 if you feel like you are being treated unfairly. Unfortunately law enforcement is not a great job so some of these guys are punks with badges that love to throw around thier authority, just avoid them.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-08-2005, 6:24 PM Reply   
Yes, I agree that that every normal person know that it is a bad idea to tell a law enforcement officer (or anyone, for that matter af fact) to f-off. However the response was to the point of harrassment. Please read my post above (June 06, 5:45pm) Exactly what about my statement is ridiculous?

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on June 08, 2005)
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-08-2005, 7:51 PM Reply   
The ridiculous statement "rammer" would be refering to would be that of June 7th, 5:35 p.m., and... I for one, concure.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-08-2005, 8:01 PM Reply   
That only validates my point.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-08-2005, 8:35 PM Reply   
How do these posts always turn into arguments? I can't believe you guys are still talking about this.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-08-2005, 8:46 PM Reply   
Dunno. I think Sparky Jay likes me.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-09-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
I'm late on this one, but I have an observation.
Maybe, the bigger underlying issue here is the perception of wakeboarders as rebelious slackers. Much in the same way as skateboarders, snowboarders and surfers. It may be a smaller percentage of people portraying that image with our sport compared to the others, but it still exists.

There's already this stigma attached to you if you are a wakeboarder, and more often than not the officer will have some pre-conceived notions about what type of person you are before he steps foot on the camp or approaches your boat on the water (obviously, this generalization isn't true for every one of us - officer included).

That said, I don't agree with how they handled the situation. The best advice I heard is to make one call to the supervisor and talk man to man. Let him know how you feel and if he stands behind the actions of the officers in question - tell him you disagree and then let it go. Either way, you'll earn some respect and recover some dignity.
Old    cool_arrow            06-09-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
sounds to me like all this hostility is pointed in the wrong direction. i mean, 10 minutes in a jail cell,hmmm, 10 minutes can be a loooooong time, maybe something happened in those 10 unaccounted for minutes that brings misguided anger towards the deputies. we've all seen "Deliverance". that dude only squeeled like a pig for what, maybe 4 minutes. i'll bet it seemed like an eternity for him tho. and we are talking about hillbillies here aren't we?
Old    eastcoastjedi            06-09-2005, 10:51 AM Reply   
File a complaint.
If a federal Law Enforcement Oficer is posting and agreeing that it seems that the cops overstepped their bounds, why is this so confusing to people?
No one seems to be blaming the ranger (although many are defending him), he was just doing his job.
Everyone seems to be agreeing that the girl was an idiot.
This to me seems to be more of a discussion than an arguement and I actually learned a few things in the process of reading.
Mike.. file a complaint.
Forget the TV/Lawsuit bs.
You will feel better and the officers involved will have to answer for their actions or at the very least explain them and will think twice about repeating this unfortunate situation
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-09-2005, 11:58 AM Reply   
"This to me seems to be more of a discussion than an arguement". EXACTLY. Sorry Fruitcake/Porkchop, I don't go that way, not that there's anything wrong with that. J-Rod, who's forcing you to read?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-09-2005, 1:45 PM Reply   
See, I told you. Here is your own special thread, just for you to post up on now, Sparky Jay. Now run along. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/233437.html?1118336288

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on June 09, 2005)

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on June 09, 2005)
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-09-2005, 4:57 PM Reply   
Nah. I'll pass Fruity. Thanx for thinkin of me tho.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-09-2005, 4:58 PM Reply   
You're welcome.
Old    donkey_punch            06-09-2005, 6:47 PM Reply   
Face it most cop's and water patrol, rangers are on a power trip "Some" not all are looking to hook you up.
"Make My Day PUNK" Ya know Drity harry left over's, We were not there so I wont say what I think happend. I have been hasseled in the same way as some of you have and as Mike has so this sort of this is nothing new, It just seems if you run into the wrong POS Ranger/Cop/Water patrol, they can run you threw the ringer. Is this fair? NO is it part of Life, Yes, Sorry you got cufffed and stuffed. Ill be sure not to talk trash to someone with handcuffs and the right to take me to the pokey. Sorry I had to learn from your lession, I know some people here are cops but if your not a power tippen cop Im sure I have said that applies to you.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-10-2005, 8:48 AM Reply   
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-10-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
There is only one message in this whole thread that is worth reading....posted by Army Dad above.

Take care.

Old    eastcoastjedi            06-10-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
Thanks for the ruling on the case Mr & Mrs judge.
Good job putting down everyones input with one stupid post.
take care.
Old    whitechocolate            06-10-2005, 2:25 PM Reply   
At least this isnt how they hooked you up
http://www.m90.org/view_image.php?image_id=5805
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-11-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
"Thanks for the ruling on the case Mr & Mrs judge.
Good job putting down everyones input with one stupid post.
take care."

No sweat...happy to help.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-12-2005, 12:04 AM Reply   
lol @ Grants post.

Yes,I find it funny.