Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-23-2008, 5:06 PM Reply   
For some reason whenever I attempt tricks where I can't see in clear view how I am going to land/perform the trick, my mind shuts down and I let go of the rope.

I have been trying to land a tantrum, and I land on my feet but as soon as I land I let go of the handle.

The same goes when I do w2w 360, sometimes I find myself throwing the handle even on a perfect spin.

How can I overcome this, and stop myself from freaking out and just hold on
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-23-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
I'd like to hear the answer to this question because I have the same problem on the same tricks
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-23-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
Duct tape.

Or the robot rule.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-23-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
Somebody on here once joked about wrapping a $20 or $100 dollar bill around the handle, depending on how hard you roll. We use the Robot rule, which has now moved into other dance moves.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-23-2008, 5:49 PM Reply   
ok, I'll bite, Robot rule??
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-23-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
when i lose the handle, it's usually because my handle control sucks. if you're landing with your arms fully out, then you get pulled forward on the landing and the handle comes out of your hands... throwing a flip is easy - throwing it while keeping the handle in is a different matter entirely :-(
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-23-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
I first heard about the robot rule from one of Shaun Murray's or Travis Moye's posts. Apparently, at the Boarding School if you lose the handle and you are still on your board, you have to do the robot while you sink. We invoked the rule with our crew shortly after.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-23-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
Sounds like one to many face plants in your past. when I feel the board nose over I'll throw the handle.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-23-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
i had the same problems.. just dont let go.. you just have to tell yourself.. "DONT LET GO!!!".. watching vids kinda helps too... vandall and brian grubb (the ones i've noticed the most) dont let go until they are gone for good .. and its kinda motivating.. helped me
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-23-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
Its just a mental block. Put both hands on it and don't let go. no matter what.

Learn to skate, you start riding it out a lot more. helped me anyway.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2008, 8:55 PM Reply   
It's call Vaginitis.

You have no chance of landing it if you don't hold on.
Old     (skatehawk11)      Join Date: May 2008       06-23-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
hahaha man that sucks. just next time you do the trick, think about holding onto the handle the whole time and keep that in your mind. Don't even think about the trick, just the thought of keeping yer fingers wrapped around the handle!
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-24-2008, 5:54 AM Reply   
Distraction method:
Try yelling something really really loud as your cutting into the wake. You may yell whatever you'd like, just make sure its loud & funny enough for everyone on the boat to hear so that they can get a good laugh and so that your completely distracted from letting go.
I've seen it work numerous times.
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-24-2008, 7:13 AM Reply   
In Texas we call it a f*g toss
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-24-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
"....how can I overcome...."

like others have said, it's all mental. you can distract, motivate, whatever....but until your head is right, you will not be able to "make" yourself hold on. it's just fear....and most of us have been there at one time or another. just nut up and do it....that's about all there is to say about that. sorry....
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-24-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
^^what j-rod said. go to your local walgreens or pharmacy and get the high strength yeast infection ointment. You might be able to clear up the problem with a fat sac pump, depending on how much sand is in your vagina.

but really, i always say "dont let go until your face hits the water". you'll never know what you can or cant pull off unless you try.

maybe a few shots of ye ol' jagermiester before you ride will help.
Old    K.B.C.            06-24-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
^^^
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-24-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
stick to water dancing , no handle needed.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-24-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
I prefer "putting down your purse, hiking up the skirt and hanging on".
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-24-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
well its obviously the handles fault man, your not doing a thing wrong!!!!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-24-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
"It's call Vaginitis."

HAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AMESOME J-Rod Awesome!

Just hold on to the damn thing! And Keep your Eyes open I bet your shutting them too! Handle Toss and Eye Shutting go hand in hand!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-24-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
keeping the handle closer to your body helps a lot.

you gotta want it brah!
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-24-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
Falling hard hurts. You are avoiding potential hard falls by letting go. In order to learn new stuff, you WILL fall hard. So, you have to decide whether or not you are willing to accept that and take your spills. If you try to progress without falling, you wont get very far.

Lets face it, if you are on here asking the question, then chances are youve already taken a good digger or two. You know what it feels like. Now, is the satisfaction and glory of sticking these tricks worth the pain youve already experienced? If yes, then you will hold on. if no you will continue to toss it.
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-24-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
im also with j-rod on this one. you are being a panzy. someone else on WW once sed to "hold on and ride that bad boy out like a ships captain". i try to keep this mindset and it helps. you cant get worried about wat will happen IF you fall. you just have to bow up and do it.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-24-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
josh, hell yeah. im the captain of my board and im holding on til the end.
i have fallen almost completely off my board and drag and get back up. yesterday i landed a 3 shuv with one foot and fell back and got back up, haha. not proud off it but it beats having to start up again.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-24-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
I always tell everyone not to let go of the handle until you are in the water as I have let go to find myself ride out of it.
Old     (deltaratmike)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-24-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
ya dude just gorilla grip that thing and dont let go until you are actually in the water. fareal man up boi!!!!
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-24-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
We won't let people back into the boat if they repeatedly drop the handle. It works
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-24-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
I'm saying LOUD NOISES SO I DON'T VAG OUT!!LOL!!

Mitch, back me up on this: you can't vag out on the skate. you can ride out some crazy shiz if you stay with it.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-24-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
nacho, yeah

ive seen video of tnt, reed hansen, and matt manzari fall completely off the board, grab it, and get back up. haha