Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-26-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
I'm thinking about upgrading to a Star in the near future. I've ridden one with the 350, and one with the LY. The 350 MCX was a slug coming out of the water when sacked out(we had to drop down to 2k), but that was 3 years ago, before the new 14.5x14.25 Props came on scene.

My question is, does anyone out there with the smaller 350 and newer prop sack the boat out heavily (i.e. 3500-4000lbs) and have success?

For reference, we were putting 3400 in my 03' X-2(The current X-1) last year. Please guys, dont let this turn into a post about whether or not you think the boat needs that much weight for a great wake.

Thanks Guys.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-26-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
I've had good luck with the 14.25 X 14.5 running up to 2k and 4-5 people in the MCX X-Star. Also the only thing you didn't mention is altitude, which from your profile we can assume pretty close to sealevel. Refrence the thread below, and call OJ or Acme directly if you need anymore help.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=33580
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-26-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
Last year I rode with the guys from NoStyle Poductions shooting Colin Ryan they ran the full Fly High X-Star kit like this one - http://www.waterskis.com/Custom-X-St...st_upgrade.htm
That along with stock and two more 750's on the floor (one all the way in the nose and one next to the driver). He ran the Acme 14.5X13.7 and it came out of the hole pretty good. It came out of the hole really solid, but took a little more time to get from 18-25. I think that a 14.25X14 from OJ is also good. Almost same hole shot, but a little faster from 18+.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
John@waterskis.com
www.waterskis.com
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-26-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
Ran my '05 X-star (MCX) last year a few times with the OJ 14.25 X 14.5 prop with 2500# ballast and 6-7 people on it. A bit slow getting up to speed and you could tell the engine was not happy moving all of that weight. In your case I would really suggest the LY6 especially with more than 2500# of weight.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-27-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
I have the LY6 (07 XStar). Like Dave said, I would strongly consider that motor if you anticipate riding with that much weight. I mean you could probably reprop and be fine with MCX, but you need to examine how you plan to use it.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-27-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
LY6 always. Especially if you are at elevation.
Old     (cmcxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-30-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
I have the LY6, run a Fly High set up, and the boat comes out of the water just fine. I don't even know what prop is on my boat because it's the stock one.
Old     (gregholloway)      Join Date: May 2009       04-01-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
I also have the LY6...07' model that's for sale in the classifieds. 250 hours. I test drove one with the MCX, took my sacs with me and at just over 3000 lb's and 5 people it would not get to speed! Hence I ordered the LY6!! There's no way I would spend that much money on a boat and be inhibited on how big I want my wake!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-01-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
Corby.... LY6 all the way, brotha. You wont be satisfied at Bullards with the MCX. We couldn't even get our LY6 on plane there last year. We had to drop at least 1k of weight. We've got another prop on the boat now. Supposed to be the miracle OJ that everyone loves. We'll see how she runs.

Honestly, the 8.1 is where it's at. That puppy would pull a house and still get on plane. 4,500lbs and 8 people.... No problem. Ha, ha. Right up until the motor goes boom. Al and I have a fix for that, though. MC just needs to hire us on. We'll work their big block problems right out. The up side is that you never have to change the oil with the 8.1's. They always seem to blow right around that 100hr mark.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-01-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
My neighbor sacs his 05 X-star with 3500-4k depending on people, got the MCX and the 14.5 prop. It's still sluggish out of the hole. You've got to slam the throttle down and usually have someone stand in the walkway to plane. He's got about 1100 hours on the boat, still runnin strong! been thru one transmission. ( under warranty). It sucks down gas.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-01-2010, 1:31 PM Reply   
Awww come on, I've had the L-18 in my past 3 boats and never had one problem. After the Exhaust fix and ECU re flash it's actually easier to drive than the LY6 boats. The guy I sold my '03 X-30 has 600+ hours on it no problem.

Adam, I had almost got rid of that mental picture and now I'm going to have V-Drive carnage nightmares all over again. That poor poor boat.