Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    zanek            07-01-2003, 3:30 PM Reply   
So, what exactly is rocker, and what does it do? Cuase Looking for a new board and i want to know the difference between, "continious" and "3-stage" And what they feel like, such as, which one feels more like a snowboard, cause i like a loose ride!
Old    murrayair            07-01-2003, 3:52 PM Reply   
Rocker is how much the board curves. For example if you have a 2.0" rocker that means that the difference between the lowest point(the middle of the board)and the highest point(the tip) is 2.0". A continuous rocker will have a smooth, consistant pop but it will not pop quite as big as a 3-stage which will tend to buck you of the wake more and not have as smooth as a pop. The looseness of your board will have to do with more than just rocker. Things like fin configuration, and board shape will affect how loose the board is a lot. I ride a Belmont 136, which has a continuous rocker, and it rides super loose. I've also heard that the Byerly, which is a 3 stage, is really loose. Hope this helps.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-01-2003, 4:29 PM Reply   
The Byerly is NOT loose. I bought a Byerly because I wanted a board as close to a "Snowboard feel" as I could get. I do agree on the "buck" though.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2003, 8:44 PM Reply   
the byerly with out the two center fins rides a lot like a snowboard. When people say that it usaly means that the board is pretty loose untill you get on a edge then it can edge just as hard as a normal board.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-02-2003, 6:17 AM Reply   
I ride the Belmont and it is as close to a snowboard feel that I have ridden. The board releases from the water for ollies and boards slides very easily. It also rides somewat high in the water. It hooks up pretty good when edging. The release from the wake is much more consistent than any board with a three stage rocker which also makes it similar to a snowboard. I also rode the premier a lot and it is not the board for you if your going for a snow style feel. Premier has great pop, super soft landings(softest landing ive ever felt), very forgiving, but very slow.

(Message edited by rootc on July 02, 2003)