Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-06-2011, 7:25 AM Reply   
Hey guys: 2 part question. I want to learn HS backroll with a backside 180 as seen in :45 of last week's ameteur hour http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/ama...-brandon-leib/. That is a roll to blind right?

Second part of the question is how do you do them? I have backrolls and back one's solid but am anxious about an inverted handle pass. I'd rather learn this version instead of landing wrapped because that seems like a real good way to get concussed. What are the key points of focus? Any and all input is appreciated.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-06-2011, 8:04 AM Reply   
Id say try it on a trampoline until you can do it in ur sleep, then try it on the water =) That is a roll to blind, but its not really blind cuz he passed the handle twice and can spot his landing, instead of landing wrapped, looking backwards, like most blind tricks. i can do this one on the tramp and i wait till i know im rotating the roll, then i look to my right shoulder to start the backside spin, grab the handle and tug to finish the spin =) hope this helps, you could always just try it though and see what happens.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-06-2011, 8:14 AM Reply   
Make sure your backrolls are legit and not mexi. If they're proper nose over tail rolls this version is easier. If they're more mexi, as in heel over toe edge frontroll type, a roll to blind is more common, where you do the roll first and the pull to blind rather than spin while upside down.

Use the same approach as a roll to revert and after you've popped and thrown the roll, look over your back shoulder and pull and do the same movement as a backside 1. You gotta under-rotate the flip so you land on your toes and ride away. If you throw it the same as a normal roll you can over rotate causing you to slip out or catch a back edge. If you can do a tootsie its a very similar movement in the air.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-06-2011, 9:07 AM Reply   
I forgot to mention that I dont have access to a trampoline. Otherwise I'd just figure it out on land as suggested by Vinny. My rolls are a bit mexi from time to time so it sounds like i'll nail that down first. I'll get a chance to throw it this week, maybe tonight, so I will keep you guys posted. Thanks!
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-06-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
Sounds good. Try to get a video of yourself doing them. And for the thing I posted its for the mid flip rotation. For a mexi roll type you gotta flip first and then pull to blind so try a couple really late blind 1s and then go for it
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-06-2011, 6:48 PM Reply   
my bad dude, all my advice went like straight out the window there hahha post a vid when you try it so we can see you stomp it first try! =) lol
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-06-2011, 8:52 PM Reply   
I highly recommend going for a tantrum to blind as your first bs 180 invert. Never taken a digger on one but many on the hs roll to blind. Easiest blind landing trick to do, hands down, if you do it right.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-08-2011, 7:20 AM Reply   
Sooo last night was working on getting my backrolls tip-over-tail legit and got lit up pretty good dipping my nose. Thanks for all the input, but I didn't get to put it to use last night. I'll update you guys with a video (hopefully) when I get back to it.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-08-2011, 1:25 PM Reply   
keep trying =) the wierd thing about flips is that they all get easier to learn when you just absolutely go huge. ..........but whille this is a roll to blind thread i thought id post this vid, harleys roll to blind at the beginning is sickkkkk
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-08-2011, 8:48 PM Reply   
@Brian why is a tip-over-tail backroll easier to pull to bs 180 than a mexi? It needs an early handlepass and mexi is much easier because off the wake you look down to the right (assuming left foot forward) and grab the handle early at the small of your back... Late handlepass is basically going-to-blind-but-not-landing-blind and the mexi is still easier.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-09-2011, 3:44 AM Reply   
Not really sure but all the roll to blinds I've seen are mexi and all the rollwith backside 180 (passed) look more nose over tail
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-13-2011, 11:05 AM Reply   
heres a video of mine filmed by mitch bergsma.
i usually do it nose over tail, not mexican at all and i do the bs 180 super late.
check it out