Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (loffgren)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-24-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
08 X2 Factory Sub How Does It Sound, Thanks
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-24-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
That is a loaded question that everyone will think differently about.

My 08 x2 sub sounds fine. It gives the sound and a little feeling of bass, but not like the systems I put in my truck growning up (2 10s with alot of power). It is perfect for me as I don't need anymore. If anything, I will put tower speakers on and I dont have enough power for more bass and tower speakers without modifing the power system which I will not do.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-24-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
IMO JL audio makes one of the best souding free air subs, and the fact that mastercraft doesn't carpet much of the interior ( less sound absorbtion) the stock JL sub sounds decent....kevin summed it up nicely.
Old     (loffgren)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-24-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
Thats what i was thinking, how does it sound considering the application
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-24-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
considering it's open air.... not bad... but def not great. I suggest 2 of the Kicker skm10's. They come in marine enclosures and are marine subs. A 400 watt amp will push the crap out of both hooked up.

let me know if your interested in them... we can hook you up....
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-24-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
400 watts on 2 10's

Stick with your JL free air.

200 watts on a sub in an open air environment is pointless.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-24-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
Mine sounds great. Of course you could have more, but then you cut up the boat or lose ballast or storage space.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-25-2008, 6:15 AM Reply   
Sam... dont knock it until you have tried it...

That info is comming from the guys who designed kickers marine subs. They are in enclosure also.... not open air.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-25-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
^^^ I have heard what 200 watts on a sub does in a boat.

Open air enviorment = boat.

I wasnt' referrign to a free air sub.
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-25-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
the stock sub on our '08 X-15 sounds great
Old     (texasmasterc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-25-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
The fact is Stock and good sounding shouldn't be in the same post.

Do it give bass? Yes
How does it compare to a aftermarket sub enclosure? it doesn't

There is a reason that companies such as wetsounds and NVS are doing ok...it's because stock systems are just OK.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-25-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
Your talking about open air as in the sub face being placed through a wall in the boat right?

I am talking about a sub tucked away in the storage...

we had one on our last demo boat in the storage and one rocked out.

I agree that if it's facing out into the open air then yes... not enough power.

I'm sure the designers at kicker would direct us in another direction if we putting them in an open aired placement.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-25-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
A car is a closed air/space environment....a boat is an open air enviroment ( meaning soundwaves do not "bounce" like they would in a car) The sound dissapates. A low powered sub ( anything below about 300-350 watts) does not sound good in a boat regarldess of where you put it. The reason being is there is not enough power going to the speaker to overcome the outside noise ( wind, engine, ect) In a car/trcuk you cna put 200 RMS to a sub and have it slam.

James...I think the factory MC system is the best sounding stock system offered.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-25-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
I guess were going to have to..

"agree to disagree" - Ron Burgendy

I have ran them in many of boats and they are good clean hard hitting bass.

I do however agree with the factory MC system. I was really shocked when I first cranked it up before installing more stuff.
Old     (loffgren)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-25-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
Sweet thanks for the feedback supposed to pick her up on saturday (boat) I had the 12w7 in my X1. I know it wont compare but i am was hoping it was "good enough" to hold me over...