Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-02-2011, 9:51 AM Reply   
Septemer 8th will be the Wake Awards and we will finally learn about the secret hammers that have been dropping all season. I read on this forum about a 1440, but no one would say if it was cable or d-up. I bet Harley has a TF OA 12 off the double up, if not wake to wake and back to back.

Any more rumors?
Old     (wakecrzy2000)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-02-2011, 3:08 PM Reply   
My guess is that it will be some type of double flip.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-02-2011, 3:34 PM Reply   
I would like to see some type of double flip spin variation... I know Parks has the double cab mobe (i honestly have no idea the correct term), or at least he used to. Seeing someone take a double flip to 5 would be down right dirty.. Then again, that's a lot of rotation with two flips.
Old     (Nova)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-02-2011, 3:39 PM Reply   
I originally thought Ruck's double flip grab to blind would take it, but after hearing all these rumors of 12's and 14's, I don't know anymore.
Old    readyaimfire            09-02-2011, 3:57 PM Reply   
Rucks wasnt to blind
Old     (jasonmurray12)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-02-2011, 4:10 PM Reply   
Triple flip!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-02-2011, 4:13 PM Reply   
I'd be very surprised if anyone had a 12, let alone an OA 12 or a 14, behind a boat. Maybe on a cable. Harley should show off that all-handle pass backside 10, and I'm sure someone will have a double flip.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-02-2011, 4:13 PM Reply   
Danny Harf with some double flip mobe (probably just because I'm suuuuper pumped for Defy)!!!!!!!
Old     (Nova)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-02-2011, 4:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyaimfire View Post
Rucks wasnt to blind
My bad, it was switch to 180
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-02-2011, 5:12 PM Reply   
Shane just landed a double halfcab roll....TOESIDE!
Old    mojo            09-02-2011, 6:10 PM Reply   
Crow 9
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-02-2011, 8:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Crow 9
God I hope so. I've been waiting for this.
Old    readyaimfire            09-02-2011, 9:30 PM Reply   
I think it would be cool to see a double flip with a grab win. I think anything 1080 plus looks kinda like the Tasmanian devil with limbs flying everywhere. Style should count!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-02-2011, 9:39 PM Reply   
I agree with ^^^^^^^
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-02-2011, 9:41 PM Reply   
toeside backside 10.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-03-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
I have heard some amazing rumors about moves tossed down in Defy! I have a feeling its going to be a double.
Old     (acerock88)      Join Date: May 2008       09-03-2011, 10:22 AM Reply   
That is sweet if Shane landed that. I have thought that trick was going to be landed for a while now. That has to be a contender.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-03-2011, 8:22 PM Reply   
he landed it off the sesitec kicker at OWC, trifectas and double half cab rolls were going down aswell.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-04-2011, 6:39 AM Reply   
A double flip spin would be pretty much insane... A w2w 12 I think could be possible from a number of riders I think time will tell
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-04-2011, 7:06 AM Reply   
Chalk up another vote for a double flip variation. Been hearing rumors about a few "New" ones popping up from the DEFY team.
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-04-2011, 11:43 AM Reply   
Pete 9?
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-04-2011, 5:15 PM Reply   
not hating on cable but I would be pretty disappointed if the move of the year was a move not performed off of a wake..
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-04-2011, 5:55 PM Reply   
not hating on boat but I would be pretty disappointed if the move of the year was a move not performed on the cable... lol

As for the toe back 10, I thought I had seen a video of Dominik doing that trick somewhere...?
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-04-2011, 5:56 PM Reply   
Why do people hate on cable so much... Its pushing the sport... and making it 100percent more affordable to the mass public... I think it would be HUGE for trick of the year to be on the cable!
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-04-2011, 6:11 PM Reply   
its just not the same, not saying one is better than the other. they are just different. Id like to see two wake awards, one boat one cable. problem solved
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-04-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8290 View Post
its just not the same, not saying one is better than the other. they are just different. Id like to see two wake awards, one boat one cable. problem solved
I agree. I think cable will eventually get so big that it will branch off into its own sport and shun its roots in the same way that wakeboarding looks down on waterskiing/skiboarding.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-05-2011, 6:08 AM Reply   
Not the same... I can totally agree with that.. However that's the way the sport is going... Look at the contest they are doing with cable... I love boat and I am an owner of one however cable seems to becoming main stream and with how many
Good kids riding it... There is a very good chance of it
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-05-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
"Why do people hate on cable so much..." ..exactly why I said I dont hate cable

Its cool no doubt, but just isnt the same
Old     (austin_the_wakeboard_man)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-05-2011, 12:31 PM Reply   
I heard Danny landed a double indy tantrum idk if it was off a doubleup are not. Either way super sick.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-05-2011, 4:48 PM Reply   
according to twitter harley just did a double half cab mobe..
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-05-2011, 4:48 PM Reply   
Im with the boat fans in hoping for a trick off the wake, but I really hope something like an indy temper tantrum doesnt take it. Enough people are landing totally new stuff that it shouldnt go to a trick that Parks landed a while ago and people are just now figuring out how to do it. Something like Ruck's switch double roll to revert or Trevor Hansen's w2w double backroll last year. I'd rather see a Pete 9 off a kicker than a re-visited wake trick.
Ps, my boat preference is due to my own focus on boat riding, not any hate or lack of respect for cable riding. Like stevo8290 said, its not apples to apples.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-05-2011, 4:50 PM Reply   
http://shanebonifay.com/_/Bloggable/..._roll_180.html

pretty sick to say the least..
Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-05-2011, 5:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_vilfo View Post
according to twitter harley just did a double half cab mobe..
no rusty just asked if it was him and he said parks
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-05-2011, 5:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Im with the boat fans in hoping for a trick off the wake, but I really hope something like an indy temper tantrum doesnt take it. Enough people are landing totally new stuff that it shouldnt go to a trick that Parks landed a while ago and people are just now figuring out how to do it.
Video? I would love to see a successful double tantrum.

As for a cable trick winning the award...boat vs. cable is matter of preference. I personally prefer prefer boat. I don't have any problem with people liking cable. But why can't cable have their own award instead of taking away an award from boat? We can all be happy if everyone does their own thing instead of crowning an orange king of an apple competition. Many of us who like boat more than cable are frustrated by the continued efforts to insist that both are comparable and are the same thing when they just aren't.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-05-2011, 5:54 PM Reply   
YEAH Shane!!!

from pointless on Vimeo.

Old     (acerock88)      Join Date: May 2008       09-05-2011, 5:55 PM Reply   
I wonder if Parks could win it with a double half cab mobe. He has landed one a few years ago so it is not a new trick and it seems like the trick of the year should be something new. That being said, I am stoked for Parks and would be happy to see him win.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-05-2011, 7:18 PM Reply   
I feel like it needs to be something new. Even if harley landed the double half cab mobe..
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-05-2011, 8:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
I feel like it needs to be something new. Even if harley landed the double half cab mobe..
Word. I thought it was pretty lame when Kyle Loza won Moto-X best trick two years in a row with pretty much the same trick.
Old     (Nova)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-05-2011, 8:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Word. I thought it was pretty lame when Kyle Loza won Moto-X best trick two years in a row with pretty much the same trick.
That's exactly what I keep remembering everytime someone mentions someone winning with the double cab mobe.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-05-2011, 8:26 PM Reply   
4 categories for move of the year would be cool.. 1 wake, 1 cable, 1 rails/winch and 1 womens. Just my opinon though
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-06-2011, 7:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin View Post
Video? I would love to see a successful double tantrum.
My bad. I thought it had already been landed, since its been named.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-06-2011, 8:23 AM Reply   
Not to downplay the legitimacy of the trick but he rotated practically the whole 180 on the way up the ramp. (especially on the second one)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-06-2011, 8:42 AM Reply   
It has, by Parks, it's called a Temper Tantrum, but not grabbed. There is video of him doing it as an extra trick at the end of a competition run. If someone doesn't know that this is fact, and questions it legitimacy and saying show me the video, you really don't know your history well enough to even be questioning it....... i'll try and find the vid for ya.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-06-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
I'm not questioning the legitimacy, I just want to see it. There's a reason people make videos. It's because some of us enjoy watching them. LOL. Seeing a new trick that I haven't seen before is awesome. Coming out and taking shots at me saying that I "don't know my history well enough to be questioning it" is just uncalled for. I just wanna see a video of a cool trick. What's the crime in that?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-06-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
I heard a 16 went down off the double up
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-06-2011, 9:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene3x View Post
Not to downplay the legitimacy of the trick but he rotated practically the whole 180 on the way up the ramp. (especially on the second one)
This is one of the reasons why I prefer boat tricks to cable. That said, mad respect to Shane for this awesome trick.
Old     (Nova)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-06-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by steezyshots View Post
I heard a 16 went down off the double up
No way. Now that's something I'd need to see to believe.
And i think that was sarcasm anyway...
Old     (vlxwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-06-2011, 10:44 AM Reply   
The temper tantrum is in the Parks Documentary. Back when he was still wearing skiing gloves.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-06-2011, 5:31 PM Reply   
They should just hand it over to Harley now.
Old     (ehwake)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-06-2011, 6:17 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWgnr...eature=related
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-06-2011, 6:19 PM Reply   
no doubt.
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-06-2011, 8:00 PM Reply   
I may be biased, but.....

http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/jef...oll-to-revert/
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-06-2011, 9:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by team_o View Post
I would have no problem with that being the winning trick. It's sick!
Old     (Nova)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-07-2011, 6:48 AM Reply   
My vote is for the butt gap....
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-07-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
I would have no problem with that being the winning trick. It's sick!

AGREED! Amazing. Jeff Kills it!
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-07-2011, 9:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by team_o View Post
he holds that grab SO long...has my vote on the vids that are out so far. Hope to see some cool clips pop up in the next day or two.
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       09-07-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
Wake - Awards is a great idea and reminds me of the progressive vibe during the late 90's when we anxiously waited to see the next hammer thrown. It really fueled progression by giving riders an incentive platform to compete for the next big video section or comp appearance .
I remember a certain season back in either late 90's or very early 2000 season when doubles were first appearing. First was Shapiro's speedball (double front-flip) came out on video and than one in a tourney. Than, I believe at the next comp, (PJ Marks talks up that) Parks came with a secret move which we all waited for and threw an attempt for the Temper-Tantrum . Next thing you know Parks had the Temper-Tantrum locked and later that season came out with the double back-roll. The was one best seasons of progression - also I think either Byerlys 7 or Parks 9 was landed same time too. And to think Shapiro threw the Speedball (double front) in sandle bindings! You could barely get wake-to-wake w/o having one foot pop out of those bindings. That and the fact wakes where about 1/4 of the size they are now is why you call that generation badass's (...think Byerly's bindings back then). As for waiting to see these video's, remember internet had not yet evolved and posting videos was not common. You actually had to do a thing known as wait for the next (non digital) video release, or catch a tourney on late night ESPN and hope a new trick was attempted behind a "comp" boat. . I think it was either Highwake Drifters or Mayday that premiered the Speedball.
I like to think Wake-Awards gives the same kind of anxious progressive vibe as that of the late 90's; and provides a new platform for progression within the sport that is not found within daily blog video 's.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2011, 11:18 AM Reply   
those days the vids were must buy's so that you could see the footage of the newest tricks too. Kind of what it sounds like DEFY is aiming at.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2011, 3:12 PM Reply   
Musta been Highwake Drifters cuz Shapiro was not in Mayday.

Wow!

After tomorrow night, I will have a totally new perspective of what is possible on a wakeboard! This will either blow my mind or reassure me that some tricks really are just that hard to stick after all.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-07-2011, 6:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubuchon03 View Post
Wake - Awards is a great idea and reminds me of the progressive vibe during the late 90's when we anxiously waited to see the next hammer thrown. It really fueled progression by giving riders an incentive platform to compete for the next big video section or comp appearance .
I remember a certain season back in either late 90's or very early 2000 season when doubles were first appearing. First was Shapiro's speedball (double front-flip) came out on video and than one in a tourney. Than, I believe at the next comp, (PJ Marks talks up that) Parks came with a secret move which we all waited for and threw an attempt for the Temper-Tantrum . Next thing you know Parks had the Temper-Tantrum locked and later that season came out with the double back-roll. The was one best seasons of progression - also I think either Byerlys 7 or Parks 9 was landed same time too. And to think Shapiro threw the Speedball (double front) in sandle bindings! You could barely get wake-to-wake w/o having one foot pop out of those bindings. That and the fact wakes where about 1/4 of the size they are now is why you call that generation badass's (...think Byerly's bindings back then). As for waiting to see these video's, remember internet had not yet evolved and posting videos was not common. You actually had to do a thing known as wait for the next (non digital) video release, or catch a tourney on late night ESPN and hope a new trick was attempted behind a "comp" boat. . I think it was either Highwake Drifters or Mayday that premiered the Speedball.
I like to think Wake-Awards gives the same kind of anxious progressive vibe as that of the late 90's; and provides a new platform for progression within the sport that is not found within daily blog video 's.
I wish I was into the scene back then to experience all of that at the time it was actually happening. It sounds like an awesome time! Also, I don't mean to be a dick, but can you please make some paragraphs instead of a wall of text next time? That **** hurts my eyes.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       09-08-2011, 5:40 PM Reply   
And The Winner Is: Erik Ruck, Mute Back Mobe. Any video of the trick around yet?
Old     (Nova)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-08-2011, 6:18 PM Reply   
I never knew Ruck did that...was that this past week?
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-08-2011, 6:25 PM Reply   
Mute mobe???? Really tHats kinda lame doesn't he do them allthe time??
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-08-2011, 6:35 PM Reply   
It better be the best damn mute back mobe ever done...
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-08-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
Double mobe??? Or just mobe
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-08-2011, 7:08 PM Reply   
It was a transfer mute back mobe from a kicker to a raised pool. Impressive, but not what I was expecting for MOTY. The two double indy tantrums were pretty sick, and I thought Rusty could've taken his melon double backroll to blind... so smooth and looked like he was in complete control, props to him on that.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2011, 7:14 PM Reply   
with all these websites having twitter feeds, I find it odd it comes out on the forum first. Kinda pointless for them to have those if they can't get this type of info out.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-08-2011, 7:15 PM Reply   
wow really? Post up the vids of the double rolls, I could care less about the transfer lol
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2011, 7:16 PM Reply   
nevermind, wakeboardingmag did it up.

http://wakeboardingmag.com/news/2011...-live-results/
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-08-2011, 7:16 PM Reply   
how did rusty manage a double MELON roll to blind?!!?! I could see an indy or any other back hand grab. HOYL CRAP.

(took me 5 extra seconds to grasp what I had read before sorry for posting twice)
Old     (acerock88)      Join Date: May 2008       09-08-2011, 7:21 PM Reply   
Can anybody list what some of the other tricks in contention for MOTY were? Also, congrats to Erik Ruck.

Last edited by acerock88; 09-08-2011 at 7:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-08-2011, 7:26 PM Reply   
No videos yet?
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-08-2011, 8:54 PM Reply   
Transfer mute back mobe? That's it? Not one 12 all season?

I hope the next person to land a 12 on video shares it in a timely fashion online instead of keeping it a secret for Move of the Year. I'm disappointed. Thanks to all those who feel my pain
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2011, 9:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post

I hope the next person to land a 12 on video shares it in a timely fashion online instead of keeping it a secret for Move of the Year. I'm disappointed. Thanks to all those who feel my pain
you started a thread saying there needed to be more doubles, well, you got your wish.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2011, 9:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
how did rusty manage a double MELON roll to blind?!!?! I could see an indy or any other back hand grab. HOYL CRAP.

(took me 5 extra seconds to grasp what I had read before sorry for posting twice)
he said he thought he could have taken his mute double roll, to an additional blind, but didn't. (is how I read it)
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-08-2011, 9:40 PM Reply   
sigh...I suppose as long as the doubles are grabbed I'll be happy. And sounds like they are.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-09-2011, 4:23 AM Reply   
looks like the moty is in the defy trailer.

Last edited by dakid; 09-09-2011 at 4:26 AM.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-09-2011, 6:35 AM Reply   
Damn
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-09-2011, 6:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post

Oh hush. The riders don't owe you a 12. We waited 7 years for the second 1080. I guarantee it won't take that long to see another 12.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-11-2011, 9:49 PM Reply   
Wrong! They do owe me a 12. With an extra 180 of interest for failing to come thru this year.

Here is a glimpse of Rusty's double backroll. I think Holdsworth (above) meant Stale, not Melon.

from Wake Compound on Vimeo.