Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-03-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
I am in the process of replacing the packing in the stuffing box in my inboard, and noticed the original packing was 1/4" but had 3 rings. I have replaced it with 1/4" but can only fit 2 rings in. If I add 3 I am unable to start the thread on the nut as the packing is right near the edge.

All rings were packed down with a dowel so they are tight.

Anyone run into a similar situation?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-03-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
You should be fine. Make sure where the rope seal comes together on each ring is off set from the other ring. If not it will create a direct path for water to flow and not properly cool the stuffing box and shaft. I only have two rings on my 05 22ssv and have had no problems.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-03-2009, 8:14 PM Reply   
Good to know thanks.

As far as dripping goes, should the drops drip out from the location where the nut threads on, or the end where the shaft comes out the end of the nut and connects to the tranny?

I got it all put back together, but can only get the drips to drip out where the nut threads on, no water comes out of the shaft end. I had my hand on the nut during a test run and it never got overly warm at all, but I wanted to make sure.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-04-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
Mine drips out from the big nut where the shaft goes through the nut and runs down the out side of the nut. It actually drips off where the threads are. You may want to increase the drip rate if it's to warm.
Old    kidrik            07-04-2009, 4:49 PM Reply   
^^^ Damn, you might wanna see a doctor for that one.......

Sorry man, good luck.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-06-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
Hmm, I think mine was packed too tight, even though I just used my hands to tigthen the nut.

The teflon goo had come out of the stuffing box a bit and the stuffing box nut was pretty warm to touch, almost too warm to hold onto.

I tried 3/16" packing but there was a big gap between the shaft and the threads on the nut. Would the packing compress enough to form a seal, or am I right to use 1/4" as I measured for 1/4" on my 1:1 DD velvet drive.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-06-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
I used 1/4 on mine. It is possible to overtighten it by hand. When I set the drip I did it while underway at a slow speed. Yes it will be warm but you should be able to tollerate the heat. Skiers choice recomends one drop every 15-30 seconds. I set mine one drop every 10. I would rather it drip a little more and run cool then not enough and get hot.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       07-07-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
Use 3 pieces of packing when you put it back together. I replaced it on my old boat and had the same issue. If you put two pieces in and tighten the nut, then take the nut back off you should be able to get the 3rd piece in without any trouble.