Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (spunnnn)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-18-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
Ok girls you've got to have some experience with this growing up or friends. My 3 year old girl is terrified of the boat "TO LOUD!" No matter what we do, say or offer(candy, toys, bring friends etc), nothing works. So how long is this going to last? If this could last another 5 years I'm going to sell the boat and put in a pool!

(Message edited by spunnnn on July 18, 2009)
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-18-2009, 7:06 PM Reply   
Have you tried having her "ride" in the boat at the house before you get to the launch...just play in the boat ..no noise..on the trailer...worked for my cousin..same issue.
Another trick if that works then move to having her sit in the boat at the dock and get used to that ..then work to idle..most kids once they get used to the idea of being on the boat don't even notice the noise if you start slow...my cousin used to throw a fit and scream until we tried this and now in about 5 times she is hooked...the trick is to make her love the boat without the noise then move forward...also showing her some fun videos of people boating/tubing/boarding is a good way to peak her interest...good luck!
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-18-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
Get her some ear muffs..
Old     (ghind)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-19-2009, 1:05 AM Reply   
Seriously, Ear Muffs are perfect. Our son insisted on them and he was only happy with them. No harm. Those v8 inboards are noisy.

My boat is a Matrix Sorrento with an Evinrude E-TEC 225HO. It is similar to a Response LX except with an outboard. Very quiet. No problems with that.

Also mufflers are great as is "fresh air exhaust"
Old     (spunnnn)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-19-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
When she was 1-2 it didn't seem to bother her(yes, she has been on the boat before), now she wont go near it even when we're cleaning the boat at home or if my Wife meets us out on the beach with her she doesn't even want to sit on the platform with new toys.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-19-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
FRESH AIR EXHAUST!!

I don't have kids but that's what I would do.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-19-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
Has she had a bad experience on it? If it were me, I would try the ear plugs/muffs...something fun and girlie. Make it a game putting them on. Maybe mom and dad need to wear them too? Everyone puts earplugs in....you can put yours in very loose so you can still hear...she won't know. Even wear them while cleaning the boat for a while. My guess is she will outgrow it. Invite your friends out on the boat that have little girls and let her see it doesn't bother them....a round of ear plugs for everyone!!!

My sons issue was not wanting to be out in the water behind the boat by himself. I can't tell you how many times I floated in the water with a flag while he rode! What we do for our kids!!
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-20-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
On the 4th we had a "crew" of little girls that were new to boating. Some were very nervous. Somebody had the idea that they might calm down if they understood the boat better, by driving it. "Hey girls, wanna drive the boat?" Big smiles... I took three of them out in the middle of the lake nobody around. They took turns steering and moving the throttle from idle up to about 7mph. No worries as I was in the seat, hand on the wheel and hand on the throttle. After a couple of minutes each, they were all good. We went back to the beach and they were all excited and ready to try kneeboarding.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-29-2009, 7:36 AM Reply   
Fresh air exhaust!

Let em drive. Give them the job to pull in the rope after changing riders, throw the rope. Pull the boat by some ducks/birds and let them feed em. Just get them comfortable with the boat in general. Playing in the boat while on the trailer is good. Squirt guns while boat is driving. We'd let my 3yr old shoot water at our surfer and had a blast. Used to scream if I got pulled anywhere.