Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (charbs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-11-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
So I am looking at picking up my first boat. The boats I am looking at are both 2004's. The Supra is about $2000 more than the outback. The supra is in much better shape than the outback but has more hours 180 vs. 140. Both boats are optioned pretty similar with the supra having two ballast bags vs. one on the outback. The Supra also has EFI vs. carbeurated on the Outback. My wife and I are just getting into riding so we are looking at something that we could be happy with for a couple of years before upgrading. Both boats are direct drives but space shouldn't be a factor since most of the time it will be just my wife and I out in the evenings for a couple of hours. Information has been hard to find on the Supra, so I am just looking to find which boat would have a better wake. Thanks for the help.
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-11-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
I own a moomba but I would take EFI over a Carb any day. 180 is not a lot of hours. I dont know about the wakes
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-11-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
If the Supra is only 2k more I would get that boat way over the moomba. Moomba's are basically stripped down Supra's. The 40 extra hours doesn't mean anything, especially if the Supra was taken care of better. If you don't mind me asking, what are the prices and other options of the boat? The reason I ask is that you will be much happier with the comfort and storage of a Vdrive and the resale will be much better. Unless you ski quite a bit II would say that the only other advantage of a direct drive is cheap price.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-11-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
That Supra is a hidden gem. You cant get play pen seeting in a 20' Supra anymore but you can swap out that front 400 lb bag for maybe a 650 and swap the rear 400 with a 750 and still not be stepping on bags.

Here is a video http://wakeboardingmag.com/product.jsp?ID=1616&product=boat&clientID=25205
Old     (charbs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-11-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
Looking to stay at around 20K. The v-drives we have seen around that price seem to have way to many hours. The price for the Supra is around 22K with the outback being about 20K. The Supra has dual ballast, decent stereo, tower, racks, depth finder, fiberglass swim platform. We would just upgrade the stereo and add perfect pass. With the moomba it has the same minus a stereo, only single rear ballast, and a teak swim deck which I'd almost prefer.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-11-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
I had a 2005 Moomba Outback. It's a great boat, but the Supra will be much better. For $2K more, it's a no brainer, especially with the Supra being in better condition. 40 hours isn't anything to worry about, heck that's not even a full oil change interval.
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-11-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
Supra hands down, resale value will be higher as well. That is a far better deal than the Moomba. I owned a Moomba last year, have a Supra now. No question, worth the extra 2k.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-11-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
harbs,

You say you would add a stereo and PP -- heck that will cost you 2k there.... Buy the Supra and never look back.... This is a no brainer... Post pics after the deal....
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-11-2008, 1:55 PM Reply   
If you want to drop another 10K there are great boats out there like this one.
http://burlington.craigslist.org/boa/788641484.html

or there are also V-Drives in your price range. Like this
http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/830177374.html

For that price maybe you should shop around more? But I don't even own a boat yet so what do I konw.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-11-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
Your right Nick, the resale value is actually $2000 higher. Plus I'm betting that when purchased new, there was more than a $2k difference in price of both boats. Therefore it looks like the Moomba has actually held it's value better than the Supra in this case.
People will try to tell you that the resale value is lower on Moombas, that's BS. They probably depreicate less than the more expensive boats. I bought my Outback new in 05 for $28,500. I sold it in May of this year for $28,000. 3 years and $500 depriciation, I bet no other boat out there can beat that.

With that being said, my vote is still for the Supra, it has a better shaped hull.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-11-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
140 hrs V's 180 hrs is nothing on a 4 year old boat. EFI is a plus. Go with the one that will best fit what you want in a boat. With what you have posted here, I see nothing that would turn me from either boat.
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-11-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
How about this depriciation, I bought a 2001 Mobius direct drive, used it two years and sold it this year for 2,000 more than I bought it for two years ago. With that being said I am looking for a Supra or Malibu v-drive for my next boat. Go with the Supra, you will be glad when you are ready to resell it.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-11-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
EFI would be reason enough to buy the Supra. Its no fun to pump a throttle to get the boat to start.
Old     (charbs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-16-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input everyone. We will be picking up the Supra on Saturday. I will post up some pics soon.
Old     (charbs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-08-2008, 10:24 PM Reply   
So we picked up the boat. We are loving it so far. I am already thinking about upgrading the rear ballast and of course the stereo. Again thanks for the advice.I only have a few pictures so far.Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (charbs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-09-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
And one of the wake, stock ballast full at 21mph.Upload
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-10-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
Congrats, very nice....Enjoy...
Old     (darty)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-15-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
those are terrific boats - you certainly won't be dissapointed. I had one that I sacked out with factory plus 500lbs on both sides of the engine & an extra 200lbs or so in the rear...